back to article NSA boss: Trump won't pull trigger for Russia election hack retaliation

NSA boss Mike Rogers told a US congressional panel today that Russia’s online mischief-making in America's elections is not going to stop – because Uncle Sam isn’t hitting back. "I believe that President Putin has clearly come to the conclusion there’s little price to pay here, and that therefore I can continue this activity …

Page:

1. Withdrawn

Turnabout is fair play?

I suggest we should hire 13 trolls and give them a budget of a few hundred thousand to buy ads on vkontakte. The only part that concerns me about that, though, is that it may lead to the corruption of the integrity of internet advertising.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Turnabout is fair play?

"I suggest we should hire 13 trolls and give them a budget of a few hundred thousand to buy ads on vkontakte."

i think you would find out quite rapidly that vkontakye is patrolled by human moderators as well as algorithms. Of course, it's at nothing like Facebook scale.

"The only part that concerns me about that, though, is that it may lead to the corruption of the integrity of internet advertising."

That would be a truly awful thing to happen. Modern civilisation depends on the unsullied record of truth in advertising. Where's the trollface emoji?

2. johnrobyclayton

Instead of attacking the predators, reduce the vulnerability of the prey.

There are always going to be enemy's trying to attack.

In this case they are attacking through a vulnerability in how our civilisation works.

We can counter attack or we can reduce the vulnerability.

Improving the critical thinking capabilities of our populace and improving their political awareness and comprehension would be an effective method of reducing our vulnerability.

Allowing yourself to be effectively lied to is a choice. Never trust, always question, always verify, always fact check and never let the desire to fit in override your good sense.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Instead of attacking the predators, reduce the vulnerability of the prey.

For 200 years now we've been saying education is the answer.

If it were that easy, we wouldn't be starting from here.

Unless you can propose a syllabus to teach these skills, and a structure to deliver it, complete with funding and metrics for success, you've got nothing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Instead of attacking the predators, reduce the vulnerability of the prey.

"Improving the critical thinking capabilities of our populace and improving their political awareness and comprehension would be an effective method of reducing our vulnerability."

True, but that would reduce the vulnerability of the citizens. It would increase that of the psychopaths-in-power. Which is why they don't want you doing it. A little education gets more work out of you for less effort. A lot of education leads to asking questions like "Is the biggest threat to me today some foreign country or my own rulers?".

3. Chris Tierney

Education

So what he is suggesting is that Russia somehow fooled the U.S. population over a long period and managed to manipulate this false information and hence put a Russian sympathetic president in the White House? Surely there is a domestic solution to that problem? I like to think I can filter out the fake news from the real news quiet quickly but even then I'm being biased.

4. fpx
    Devil

Nice Euphemism

"Proactively address Russian cyber threats."

Now that is a great euphemism for "first strike"!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice Euphemism

RT.com link

If Russia is paranoid, it's not as if the US doesn't try to give them good reason to be.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

NSA and online mischief-making

"NSA boss Mike Rogers told a US congressional panel today that Russia’s online mischief-making in America's elections is not going to stop – because" we're just making this shít up to distract from what we get up to in manipulating the body politic and spying on our own citizens.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smith-Mundt repeal, anyone?

The US spends millions on Radio Free (*insert continent here)

With the repeal of the Smith-Mundt, in 2013, dont you notice the dramatic increase of 'fake news'?

Not only is arms of the American state interfering with the elections of others, it is interfering with elections in the USA too.

Stay woke - (Don't) question authority....

7. Aodhhan

Did all the information security professionals run away?

I remember a time when intelligent conversations and an exchange of information security ideas took place on this site.

Now, it's turned into a political punching bag where trolls spew out their hate for something, or attempt to display how much wit they have (usually the wit is on the low side).

Reading through posts on most of the articles (even those which aren't political) are few and far between when it comes to information exchange. Too often, comments aren't geared towards the subject of the article.

What happened... did all the intelligent security professionals run off?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Did all the information security professionals run away?

What happened... did all the intelligent security professionals run off? .... Aodhhan

More than likely they have no Stakes or Shares to Play Round Tables in Greater IntelAIgent Games Plays ....... Earthly Missions with Heavenly Interventions ..........with these Hand Ups into and onto the NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTivatedD Virtualised AI Reality Flight Deck for Realisation of urMaster Plan for BroadBandCasting into Existence.

Why is Media not Defaulted and Regulated to Primarily Provide and Constantly Nurture Serially Creative Pictures .....for by just Following Great Future Filmed Documentaries will the Paths to that Mall in the Sky where Everyones Needs are Sated and Satisfied for a While ....... is an AB Fab Fabless AIMission .... and Perfectly Suited to Fit and Cloak the Finest of Satyr and Nymph in their own freely-chosen and supported Fields of NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTivatedD Virtualised AI Reality Play.

Be warned though, the Live Operational Virtual Environments there are Absolutely Awesome, and the IT and Media there don't Fake or Take and Make Prisoners. Such is solely to keep the Hyper Complex Sublime Internets Networking Thing simple ..... and stress free.:-)

And as for Veracity .... :-) is Poe's Law applied :-).... for Reasons Critical to States and Rogue Actors in States .... and All those who be Stateless ..... Virgin Stock for Future Perfect Grooming ...... Enlightening and Providing them with All the AI Tools Needed and with All Future Programmings and Virtual Levers Supplied for the Creation of a Brand New Future World, Stationed on Earth and kept right busy Properly Reprogramming Key Vital Elements with Assets for Always Immediately Ready Utilisation in Advanced IntelAIgent Leaderships, and they come in All Sorts of Exotic and Erotic Guises, meThinks, if Providing Leads are Proven both Earthy and Heavenly/Erotic and Exotic.

And that very particular and peculiar Live Operational Virtual Environment is Open and Freely Available to All Absolutely Fabulous Fabless Visitors to this which is as an Advanced IntelAIgent WorldsWare Fair.

I Kid U Not.

Now if all of the above was a currency it would surely be, to a Walled Mirror, a Parallel to Bitcoin.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

Since hilldog was doing uranium deals to get Russia to mess with the election (in her favor, but it backfired) and he is still pursuing her. That kinda means he is still going after the root cause of the election fraud. So, that's a thing.

9. Sir Loin Of Beef

We do it to them, they do it to us. Why are you complaining?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two wrongs...

... don't make a right, even if you're on the right, right?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some healthy skepticism here

...unlike in the article itself, which apparently assumes the link between Internet Research Agency and Putin is proven fact. I've not seen any such proof, of even any evidence based on anything stronger than the fact that they're both Russian, and that the boss of IRA once did some catering work for VP.

Still a bit of the old "Russian Troll" accusation going down here and there, but we have learned that is just a standard tactic for those who -after all this time- still haven't got a strong enough argument to show that Private Clickbait-peddling Firms based in the Russian Federation are not the same thing as "The Kremlin, Moscow"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

They meddled in our (and every other country's) election.

And we meddled (even publicly, remember Obama and Brexit? or Israel) in just as many elections.

And maybe some on this site are shocked (Shocked!!) to know we recently killed dozens (hundreds?) of Russian combatants in the proxy war that we are not currently involved in.

Yes, their are many types of warfare we are engaged in, and Russian is also. That is what they do, and that is what we do. And have for decades, with Trump, Obama, W. Bush, Clinton, HW Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon,....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020