back to article PM urged to protect data flows post-Brexit ahead of Munich speech

Security experts have warned that Brexit could lead to data flows between the UK and European Union being "substantially curtailed". The community is amping up the pressure on government to ensure there is a legal basis for data transfer ahead of British Prime Minister Theresa May's speech at the Munich security conference …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Complex problem

So the parliament ALWAYS HAD, HAS and WILL HAVE the mandate to put BrExit in the proverbial place where sun does not shine.

No, it has the power to do it, but a "mandate" is an instruction, and the UK parliament certainly does not have a mandate to cancel Brexit. There was an election after the referendum and the main anti-Brexit party (the LibDems) did not win, the majority of the votes went to the two parties that are committed to seeing Brexit though (inasmuch as Corbyn actually "commits" to anything).

1. Hans 1
    Coat

This means that once the UK leaves the bloc, there needs to be a new legal basis for data sharing

No, F.* off, there does have to be ... listen, you cannot have the butter, the cost of the butter, AND the vendor's wife ... Brexit means Brexit, now F.* off!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

better keep a stif upper lip and soldier on then

Hear that Britain, you will become a third country

Freedom again !!!

but seriously who expects sex let alone good and frequent communication with their ex after they split up having divided the spoils.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Re: better keep a stif upper lip and soldier on then

I think that should say "fifth country", because the UK is already four countries....

(I'll get my coat...)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but seriously who expects sex ... with their ex after they split up

Most people split up specifically to stop getting fucked by their ex.

3. Tail Up

ID+IOT.

That's some Nick!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The EU would be shooting themselves in the foot

Britain is a big source of home-grown terrorists with the country's historical links to Pakistan et al. and an ever increasing Muslim population. It would be reckless of the EU to prevent the flow of intelligence on possible plots that could represent an existential threat to their citizens.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: The EU would be shooting themselves in the foot

The limitations on travel should prevent it easily.

Just an idea... Visas... Extreme vetting... You know...

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: The EU would be shooting themselves in the foot

Like it or like it not, one cannot deny and disagree that Britain is a big source of home-grown terrorists with the country's historical links to their hosting and media presentation of decades worth of The Troubles

And now in their Austerity Phase of Bullshitting Propaganda, they be playing the Prime Fool and Blunted Tool again with their continuing perverse and inequitable support of the payment of salaries/benefits* from the public purses to Squatter MLAs [Members of the Legislative Assembly] and departments in Stormont which are refusing to act as they be voted into office for, as a devolved open and transparent government tendering to the day needs and feeds of its own peoples.

* Certainly considered perverse and inequitable support if you be one of the tens of thousands whose benefits are being sanctioned for non-compliance of expected criteria. But if you are on that free gravy train you'll not be shouting for immediate action to stop the farce, will you?

That's the rotten quality of integrity and the true worth displayed by inept political classes today.

Or do you see/are you watching a wholly different picture show being broadbandcast to you from there?

4. Tail Up

Missed a part of my habitual reading

Looks serious. Not a word about Russia, hackers or Putin.

Or, maybe, IT goes without saying?

5. Jove Bronze badge

Many are keen to present this as a a significant loss to the UK, but fail to mention that EU states would also loose access to critical data.

It should also be noted that in several cases, what is on offer from across the English Channel does not amount to much of any value.

6. FreeTard

Lots of brexiteers on this, El Reg is not the place I ever thought they'd appear.

Anyway, coming from an EU 27 country, I can tell you that brexit just doesn't matter as much to us as it does to the UK. The only place I ever read about it is in the guardian & FT - and now El Reg!

Brexit is a total fsck-up. But I don't think there's any going back since the Maybot triggered article 50. I hope I'm wrong, coz we still love you guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lots of brexiteers on this, El Reg is not the place I ever thought they'd appear.

Well that would be statistically strange considering that more than half of the 33.6 million people who voted were Brexiteers.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

El Reg is not the place I ever thought they'd appear.

Then perhaps you don't understand why people voted for it?

Anyway, coming from an EU 27 country, I can tell you that brexit just doesn't matter as much to us as it does to the UK.

It will, your politicians are already trying to work out how to get you to cough up the money they won't be getting from the UK. The idea that they should adjust their budget to fit their income clearly doesn't appeal to them.

The EU, run by politicians for politicians. The rest of us are just expected to pay the bills and do what we're told.

7. Yes Me Silver badge

At last...

...the first serious argument for Brexit. Marginally less risk to privacy. Not that it's enough to counteract all the Brexit lie and fantasies, of course.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like