back to article Oooooklahoma! Where the cops can stop and empty your bank cards – on just a hunch

Police in Oklahoma are deploying an electronic scanner that can drain currency from prepaid credit cards seized at the roadside using civil asset forfeiture laws. The Electronic Recovery and Access to Data (ERAD) handheld scanner was developed at the request of the Department of Homeland Security for use by US border guards. …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: wait....... what?

Hey, go fuck yourself, not everyone in Florida is stupid, just you and your family.

You may have just proven his point..

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          FAIL

https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/ exists for a reason...

1. Triggerfish

Re: wait....... what? @Uncle Slacky

"Meth clowns, nude brawls and shootouts: How Waffle House became the ‘Florida man’ of restaurant chains"

First title on page, not heard of it or Florida Man before, believe I have some light reading now. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: wait....... what? @Uncle Slacky

Florida is Arizona (both are where old people go to die) with humidity.

1. Jason Hindle

"except Florida where we have 100% stupid."

Spelling really should be aligned with pronunciation - Flo-rih-DUH.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Here's a bit of American trivia for you; the East and West coasts of the US you will find a normal distribution of stupid/smart people, except Florida where we have 100% stupid.

Well, now we know which side of the stupid/smart divide you're on, anyway.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

>> And that's before you look at overdrafts and the like.

Hmm. I wonder if you could put your overdraft on a card, buy a cheap car, and take a motoring holiday in Oklahoma?

2. Public Citizen

Because, as has been demonstrated in an ever increasing number of [corrupt] jurisdictions this is an even easier scam to abuse than speed traps, with greater potential for "acquiring" [read outright steal] off budget funds that can be used to buy even more tactical toys that make it even easier to shake down the public.

3. SolidSquid

It doesn't go into escrow because you don't get it back unless you take the cops to court and prove that the funds aren't the result of criminal acts. They don't need to take you to court, they just have to have a "suspicion" it was obtained through criminal acts. It's a bizarre idea, given it's essentially pre-trial punishment without even *needing* a trial, but that's what they consider reasonable search and seizure apparently

4. Daveytay

If you live in the USA, and have posted/ read this comment, you should make sure you and everyone you know is able to vote and does. The systemic voter failure is the biggest issue right now. IMHO.

1. fidodogbreath
        Flame

If you live in the USA, and have posted/ read this comment, you should make sure you and everyone you know is able to vote and does. The systemic voter failure is the biggest issue right now. IMHO.

The real "voter failure" is that so many people put race, tribal identity, and so-called social issues ahead of common sense when they vote.

In the South, as long as a politician hates gays, abortion, racial minorities, and Democrats, s/he will be elected and re-elected. White Southern voters ignore everything else that their elected officials do; the only qualification is that they hate the same people and things.

As long as social and ethnic minorities are the main targets of third-world policies like civil asset forfeiture, the voters have no problem with it. When straight white Christians get their assets seized -- e.g., the Christian rock band whose merch money was taken -- only then do these policies become an "overreach."

5. Triggerfish

Re: wait....... what? @Sgt Oddball

Well if you follow that John Oliver link it talks about how Texas police paid for a Margarita Slushy machine with seized assets, Columbia police think of it as pennies from heaven which they can use to buy new non essential toys, and another place but a 50K Zamboni although they do not know why or where it is.

Can't do that if the accounts are frozen.Plus I guess if you take all of someones money and disappear it, maybe it's harder to fight it.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How did that ever get made legal? Why isn't there more oversight on something that is pretty much guaranteed to be abused on some level or another?

Indeed. In the old days, you'd take the plastic credit card and hold on to that - would have the same effect as freezing an account.

7. tom dial Silver badge

"[H]ow removing funds is better than just freezing accounts"

A bank is quite unlikely to freeze an account without a proper court order to do so and possibly concurrence of their internal legal office. Lots more paperwork, and much lower success probability than simple confiscation. And the skimmer is useful too, because the card contents don't become available automatically as does seized cash.

The immediate seizure process is so obviously in conflict with the fourth, fifth, and occasionally sixth amendments that it seems incomprehensible that it was not suppressed shortly after enactment.

1. hellwig

I've heard of instances where there was no record of the assets being seized, meaning even when the family who had their money STOLEN from them went to the courts, the police had no record they ever even seized said profits, so it was their word (worthless) against the word of the cop who took the money in the first place.

Since no Government recognizes Bitcoin as currency, can they force you to turn over bitcoin as assets (obviously they can just take a thumb drive with your keys on it), if you're sued and/or a judgement is levied against you?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Does swiping just one of your cards card magically empty all your bank accounts wherever they are in the US? All your accounts within that state? All your accounts at the bank who gave you that card? Or just that account for that card?

Probably best not to carry all your cards with you in Oook-lahoma.

1. fajensen
        Coat

Who Knows?

One does suspect that, since one explicitly has to use a personal credit card for the ESTA application, that "they" need that card to get the applicants "handle" in SWIFT (or whatever) and from there "they" can work out all the accounts registered in your name and probably associated accounts (all accounts you transferred to/from).

2. Mark 85

Basically, it was a knee-jerk reaction to the declared "War on Drugs". Gave the police a excuse to seize and repurpose ill-gotten goods. Might be fine if they busted a drug dealer and used his car and money for some good. But, like anything, it quickly became abused and used by police departments as a revenue stream.

I really wish politicians would stop and think before they just toss laws on the books. But then, that requires them to think, use logic, and other things like ethics that are unknown to most of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They've taken thousands of dollars from people who've broken no law on the basis that the money might be used at some point to buy drugs. An absolute disgrace.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" on the basis that the money might be used"

People have also been convicted of DUI after being stopped walking along the footpath with car keys in their possession because they MIGHT use them to drive a car.

Yes, really.

1. AustinTX

@Alan Brown "People have also been convicted of DUI after being stopped walking along the footpath with car keys in their possession because they MIGHT use them to drive a car."

This is absolutely true. I was in a jury selection panel for exactly this. It's rolled under "Public Intoxication". A cop arrested a man who was walking down the sidewalk because *a witness* expressed the concern that this man would get in his car and drive drunk. The cop was his own "witness". It sounded like the man had simply been a tad surly when he was approached by Deputy Dawg. He had been drinking, but wasn't slobbering wasted. The man was literally being tried for a crime he hadn't committed. But could have. Just hope a cop doesn't pick YOU on the street for one of his fantasy scenarios.

I wasn't chosen for trial, probably because I asked too many questions.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure of the law in the USA, but in the UK it is illegal to be drunk in charge of a vehicle. If you need to fetch your sunglasses, leave the keys in the house. Approaching your car, or being in it, with the keys and whilst intoxicated is illegal.

2. Wommit

@Mark 85

"I really wish politicians would stop and think before they just toss laws on the books."

Oh, that's a good one, expecting Politicians to be able to think.

ROFLMAO

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HA HA!

'Murica

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HA HA!

Don't laugh. That kind of shit happens in Yurop too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't laugh. That kind of shit happens in Yurop too.

I think that even in the more corrupt countries this would be hard to keep up, so evidence, please.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

*Yerp

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Jon Oliver had an excellent item on this a while ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

1. eesiginfo
      Coat

Very good link.

I think it is a must watch!

It's kind of hard to believe that this is true.

TBH I'm a bit stunned.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Jon Oliver had an excellent item on this a while ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

That is just terrifying. It has all the hallmarks of a corrupt banana republic and just make me even more determined to never, ever visit the USA. It's effectively turning beat cops into Judge Dredd. Judge, jury and executioner..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It has all the hallmarks of a corrupt banana republic

I think banana republics are usually more open about how they operate, they rarely pretend to be democracies and leaders of the free world and all that nonsense we keep hearing every time they want something.

and just make me even more determined to never, ever visit the USA.

Ah, the future of illegal rendition: the only way to keep the US tourist industry afloat..

1. Triggerfish

It's actually sort of refreshing as long as it's peaceful (it gets very dark if not), you know who is fucking who over. I always figured that most of these corrupt countries are usually youngish unstable governments, our ones like we have in the first world have just become more subtle about screwing us, and institutionalised it by bringing in laws, having old boys networks, tax havens etc. Basically banana republic governments are just amateurs when it comes to screwing the pennies out of the populace.

2. Vic

It's effectively turning beat cops into Judge Dredd

Not so.

Dredd might have been brutal, but he knew the law and upheld it...

Vic.

5. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

"I know that a lot of people are just going to focus on the seizing money. That's a very small thing that's happening now."

Perhaps Highway Patrol Lt John Vincent would like to tell us about some of the other things that are happening now. Is taking a car a very small thing or a small thing. How about a house? is that medium sized yet?

1. Sebastian A

It's small to the police force in question. That it can destroy a person's whole life doesn't matter to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's the price of freedom!!

1. Public Citizen

Thomas Jefferson stated that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

This is ~not~ part of that price.

This is the ~penalty~ paid when too many people are distracted and not paying enough attention to the important things.

2. Paul Shirley
        Mushroom

It's the price of freedom!!

Yes, merkins talk good freedom but very few seem to work out what it means and how to do it.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: It's the price of freedom!!

> Yes, merkins talk good freedom but very few seem to work out what it means and how to do it.

And what, exactly, are "vigilant" citizens supposed to do when confronted with corrupt police officers crying "Civil Asset Forfeiture!" to rob them?

Is that the point where an otherwise law-abiding citizen is supposed to pull out a gun and kill the police officer in question, and then run to the nearest Pay'n'spray to recolor their car, thus legally obliging every police officer from coast to coast to suffer a highly specific brain annyeurism which obliges them to forget about it?

1. Cpt Blue Bear

What? You mean all that second amendment bravado isn't real? Say it aint so! [/sarcasm]

+1 for the GTA reference, I think I'll dig out Vice City when I get home

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

then run to the nearest Pay'n'spray to recolor their car

Ah, that may explain the popularity of plasti-dipping or foil laminating cars over there.

Whatever you do, someone figures out a way to make a buck off it..

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Big Brother

"I know that a lot of people are just going to focus on the seizing money. That's a very small thing that's happening now."

That's what stood out to me too reading the article. Are they planning on divesting you of your organs to sell on to the local hospital next?

4. ShadowDragon8685

Here's a link that works: http://fff.org/explore-freedom/article/police-confiscation-destroying-america-part-1/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can keep the band

"We've seen single moms' stuff be taken, a cancer survivor his drugs taken, we saw a Christian band being taken. ..."

The police can keep the Christian band. No-one wants it back.

7. Magani
    WTF?

Guilty until...?

Whatever happened to 'due process'?

Oh, that's right. It's to win the "War On <insert current buzzword>".

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Guilty until...?

From the police spokeman's own words:

"We're gonna look for different factors in the way that you're acting," he said. "We're gonna look for if there's a difference in your story; if there's some way that we can prove that you're falsifying information to us about your business."

Not "the way that they're acting", but "the way that you're acting". And this is how they talk to the media.

It seems like the assumption of guilt is completely ingrained.

1. Christoph

Re: Guilty until...?

Ah, but they can only search your car if they have reasonable suspicion. Such as a drug dog alerting on the car.

When this is studied, it's found that drug dogs give a *lot* of false alerts.

But of course that's in a controlled study. It doesn't include cases where the driver is obviously suspicious due to being Uppity, or Driving While Black, and the police accidentally give the dog the covert signal which it has accidentally been trained to respond to by giving a false alert. Accidentally like.

8. Nunyabiznes

Constitution

"If I had to err on the side of one side versus the other, I would err on the side of the Constitution," Loveless said. "And I think that's what we need to do." said OK Senator.

I contend that basing a decision on the Constitution instead of kneejerk emotional reaction is not an error.

9. cantankerous swineherd
    Joke

luckily the colonials have the right to bear arms, this being their guarantee against an over mighty govt.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Excellent

Between 2001 and 2014, the US government confiscated $29bn using the laws

That's half the money that has been promised to Israel for the next ten years 'coz they are sooo hurting from that bad, bad Iran deal. People are asking whether someone has money diarrhea. Well, looks like "direct taxation" can bring in the goods! Sorted!!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon