back to article Wangling my way into the 4K gaming club with a water-cooled whopper

The other week a Viewsonic VX2475Smhl-4K monitor, boasting a 3840x2160 resolution running at 60Hz – though only 24-inches of it – shows up at my door. I’m happy as a clam until it dawns on me that this isn’t a job my faithful little NUC, the Gigabyte Brix Pro, is up to. I was going to need a rig and a half, probably costing more …

Page:

1. Zmodem

Re: You lost me at the GTA screenshot

its just useless programming

id software rage "at 4k" https://www.flickr.com/photos/pix111/sets/72157640283278754/

the config settings are >> https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3aeccd/rage_with_16k_textures_at_4k_resolution_wow/

really its still just a small rendered frame stretched to fit the screen, if you change the render frame size in the source code, to hardware it up to match the com_spec cvar you set in the main menu resolution, the camera eye will be miss aligned, and you have to fix the FOV,

programmers are lazy

so when the time comes the id software 4k settings will probably work on doom 4, as they never change much todo with cvars

if you mess about with terregen, a good size screen can still take a hour to render http://www.planetside.co.uk/

id software engines work at the same speed with bigger render frames

1. Zmodem

Re: You lost me at the GTA screenshot

you can change the render frame size in quakewars which is the first game to use megatextures

the terrain is just a single massive pre-rendered texture, all other engines use procedule terrain

1. Richard Altmann
    FAIL

BenQ

What a poor presentation of this 3 monitor setup. Well, i don´t know the circumstances of the event. If this was intended to impress journos; complete fail. Throwing sheets of Molton over some chairs, placing the screens on the chairs, the seat right on ground level (consisting of a purpleish piece of carpet) ... My Boss would have kicked my balls into orbit and the rest of me into the gutter. But then, i´m not a member of the "gaming elite" who might probably give a rat´s fart about how things are presented. No real difference to Mummy´s basement, so what. More food for the downvoters: In the professional multimedia installation world BenQ has to cue up at the end of the line, right after Bose. Bs hype all around. Scratch your hipster beards and downvote me from your iPhone. Poor fellows. 3 billion flys can´t be wrong! Eat ...!

1. Zmodem

Re: BenQ

the gaming elite are all junkies so es sports for gaming brought in drug tests at events a few weeks ago

2. Stuart21551

'a water-cooled whopper'

∆T - °C/W?

3. zootle

The reasonably priced Philips BDM4065 makes for a great 4K monitor, at 40" it's a sensible size for the resolution. It also has both DP1.2 and HDMI2.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020