back to article Just add creepiness: Google Search gets even more personal

Google will soon be interrogating its users' Gmail, Google Calendar and Google+ accounts to try and predict the questions they enter into Google Search, bringing the Chocolate Factory's Now functionality into the mainstream. The personalised search is being rolled out slowly, with the US getting it first, but it will respond …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: What's the big deal?

"and this isn't letting other people search my stuff."

Actually it does

Look at the Google T&C listed above.

1. Steve Knox

So, it's not much good if your photos are on Facebook and your flight details in Evernote.

But that is, of course, beside the point.

On the contrary, that is exactly the point, both from Google's perspective and the savvy user's perspective.

Google wants you to use their apps to get this kind of search, and the savvy user doesn't need a search engine to find information if he knows where he stored it to begin with.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Exactly the Point

Google wants you to use their apps to get this kind of search, and the savvy user doesn't need a search engine to find information if he knows where he stored it to begin with.

The thing is the savvy user is not the average user (AU). Your standard, bog level AU will dump everything in one folder, with no sort of naming conventions or any way to tell one file from the other, and then use this handy offering to work it all out. The AU is quite lazy about this sort of stuff, and that is exactly what Google uses to their advantage. As with spam and other unwelcome internet services, it's a numbers game.

2. Anomalous Cowshed

Hack into Joe Bloggs' account, and...go!

Mrs. Bloggs:

"When and where is my husband's next meeting with his mistress?"

Tax inspector:

"How much did Joe Bloggs really make last year?"

"Where is all the illicit money stashed?"

Priest (with an eye on a nice donation after confession):

"What sins did Mr. Bloggs commit over his entire lifetime?"

Council jobsworth:

"Did Mr. Jobs recycle correctly over the past month?"

NSA:

"Yawn"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hack into Joe Bloggs' account, and...go!

NSA will use the service to check who will become the next whistle blower.

1. Don Jefe
        Black Helicopters

Re: Hack into Joe Bloggs' account, and...go!

I keep all my classified information dissemination appointments with journalists in Google Calendar...

3. Petrea Mitchell
    Black Helicopters

The next step...

"That power can, according to the Google Blog, answer questions such as ... 'what are my plans for tomorrow?'"

The next step, I presume, is a function that decides for you what your plans for tomorrow should be.

1. Justin Case
      Joke

Re: The next step...

>> The next step, I presume, is a function that decides

>>for you what your plans for tomorrow should be.

...that's the job of my wife.

4. ItsNotMe

Not an issue for moi.

Don't use G-mail...use Bing for searches...nor do I use ANY of Google's "cloud" offerings.

My "personal information" is safe & sound...well between me & the NSA that is.

1. M Gale

Re: Not an issue for moi.

Between you, Microsoft, and any one of their numerous "advertising partners", amongst other gotchas. Don't dare swallow the Microsoft bullshit. They're the equivalent of the snotty little brat looking all innocent while they tell on the next kid who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Never mind that they filched the entire contents last week.

You should really read the Bing privacy policy. It's as bad as any of them.

2. PJI
      Happy

Duck Duck Go!

1. Don Jefe

Duck Duck Go already went for me. I truly appreciate what they're doing, but the results simply aren't as useful as Google's.

Even with the overall drop off in quality of Google searches they've still got the best search offering out there. As long as that remains the case people will keep lining up to give Google all their information.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So use google search through Startpage - completely anonymises your searches

5. rcorrect

This will be useful

I can't tell you how often my co-workers forget to clear their browsing history. This will be interesting!

6. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

The user who has bought fully into the Google cloud will benefit most, [...].

For very small values of 'benefit'.

7. David Glasgow

Pedants corner

"try and predict the questions..."

grrrrr.

"Try to predict...."

8. Vociferous

Will "opting out" be like enabling "make your channel private" in Youtube?

In other words, will it completely destroy all functionality, make Youtube/Google unusable; be irreversible; and force you to open a new account which ISN'T private?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Private Opera tab

When searching on Google I always open a private tab in Opera, since I'm logged in on Youtube all the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Private Opera tab

Except that the same browser string, and same source ip address (unless you're firewall admin and can set up nat rules yourself) are presented to googlesearch/youtube simultaneously.

10. Andrew Jones 2

Ah here we go with the usual "selling your data" bollocks - I really don't understand how generally technically IT literate people can suddenly turn into morons at the drop of the hat.

To "sell your data" implies that they exchange your data for money - but that just doesn't happen, what actually happens is they provide advertisers with a way to target potential customers with a fine grained set of options, the advertisers however never ever actually see your data - Google processes your information and shows you an advert if the data they have on you matches the specified options for the advert.

If you really believe actual real people are sifting through your personal information, giggling at some photos that were taken of you while you were drunk, I'd strongly advise that you unplug from the internet and choose a profession outside the IT industry.

1. Katie Saucey
      Facepalm

"... IT literate people can suddenly turn into morons at the drop of the hat."

Sure, but I'd rather be a private moron than a public one. I doubt any posters here believe an actual person is sifting data, but in some ways that would be preferable to ones habits and peculiarities being categorized by flawed (nothing is perfect) algorithms. Habits and peculiarities that could come back to bite you in the ass, if for example the state, an employer, or even (hypothetically) another citizen takes a dislike to you.

1. hollymcr
        FAIL

When you stick stuff into Facebook it (largely but within some constraints) becomes public. Your friends and future employers may well have access to it.

What I don't get is all this talk about Google's data being used the same way (unless you're talking about stuff posted to G+, which is like Facebook except there's less chance anyone will bother looking).

If Google knows a lot about me, then I can expect the US and probably UK authorities to know a lot about me too. That is wrong, not least because of the lack of transparency, although unless I put an air gap between my stuff and the Internet and don't use a phone or drive a car then they know plenty already. But where is this leap to future employers knowing this stuff?

Nobody is suggesting that anyone can go to www.google.co.uk and search for "embarrassing things that Katie Saucey got up to in the past 20 years" and expect to get back any of the stuff you haven't shared on Facebook or similar.

It's like saying you shouldn't tell your doctor about an embarrassing problem because you don't want your employer or other citizens finding out.

Google's business model may well include putting adverts from erectile dysfunction companies in front of me if I mention in an email my performance was under par last night. It means I'm shown information (adverts) from those who might be able to "help" (sell me something). It does not mean that the advertiser knows who I am, unless I click on the advert and give them my details. It's about Google putting adverts in front of me that I'm more likely to click on so they get paid, and the data they've mined for that purpose is incredibly valuable to them and they're not going to share it with anyone (without a warrant, anyway).

Oh, and I don't care that their robot misunderstood my comment in the email and jumped to an incorrect conclusion. I simply don't click on the ad.

1. cupperty

@hollymcr

"It's like saying you shouldn't tell your doctor about an embarrassing problem because you don't want your employer or other citizens finding out."

Once tesco or whoever gets hold of the UK NHS records you might not be so far wrong ....

2. Katie Saucey
          Black Helicopters

OK

I think you're missing the point. If the data exists, it is exploitable no matter what. Problems arise when only those with virtually infinite resources want/need/require that data.

11. Florida1920
    Alert

Question:

What have you told NSA about me?

1. Don Jefe
      Unhappy

Re: Question:

Choose your favorite answer:

a) We can't answer that question.

b) We don't know what you're talking about.

c) All information we provide to government agencies is legal.

d) Everything.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

I know this one.

a, c and d.

Do I get a prize?

2. Katie Saucey
      Black Helicopters

“You are a slow learner, Winston." That's it I swear.

12. T. F. M. Reader

So Android phone calendars wll never be properly useful...

One of my pet complaints about smartphones (in general, and Android in particular) is that the calendar is next to useless. One of many issues that bug me is that yes, occasionally I'd like to check when my next meeting with Mr. Snowden is, or when Jane's party (the one she told me about last week and I noted in the calendar on the spot) is in September.

The problem is, (a) I do not sync my calendar with Google and I won't start just to search for appointments; (b) I just want to search the calendar, not the whole Internet, and I definitely do not want my calendar information be taken into account when I search for something unrelated - at work, with a coworker who has not been invited to Jane's party looking over my shoulder, or at a customer site where Mr. Clapper may notice that I have an upcoming appointment with his competitor Mr. Snowden.

Unfortunately, it looks like Android calendars will never be searchable without syncing to "not evil" servers. The functionality I need will not arrive. Ever.

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Big Brother

So this thing is kind of like Lotus Agenda

IE sort of natural language recognition

And allows Google to construct an even better graph of who you communicate with and follow.

No I don't think I'll be signing up.

14. DropBear
    Facepalm

Personalized search does indeed work worse

Countless times has my work colleague from the other desk turn to me complaining about something he couldn't find with Google only to have me tell him it's on the top of the first bloody page of results. The difference is, he doesn't have the various different settings of personalized / localized / ultra-mega-relevantized search turned off, while I most certainly do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

BINGO! Re: Personalized search does indeed work worse

I can remember, a long time ago, having a customer call me and ask if I knew how to do ______. I opened http://www.google.com and entered a couple of search terms (several times) and came up with an answer. I then had the customer do the same (skipping all of the not-quite-right searches in the middle.) I was then able to tell them to click on the 3rd search result (because I knew that their results would be identical to mine.) This did two things: 1) got them the results they were looking for and 2) showed them how to use google search.

Today, I don't even get the same results if I search the same strings from two separate locations. Thanks a whole lot, Google!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like