back to article Apple share-price-off-a-cliff: Told you that would happen

I was allowed to write this piece because in November I wrote to our glorious editor after a London Quant's Group seminar to say that the price of Apple shares would tank sooner rather than later. As you all know, that’s just what happened - from just shy of $800 to the mid $400s. The reason I don’t make all that much money …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. Nikolaus Heger

Re: pathetically dependent?

MS is on its way out it just takes a while for the glacier to melt.

Business wise it's surprising that they still lock in so many businesses with the help of the clueless "Microsoft Professional" trained IT staff who don't know any better. I think word is spreading that independent software stacks are both way better and way cheaper than MS offerings.

The tools I use consulting for smaller businesses are web based and 10 times better than the corporate shitware my corporate clients use. It's only a matter of time until they figure that out and then it's good bye MS. Because at first they'll replace the stack - starting with email and collaboration tools and so on. But once they're all web based they'll suddenly realize they don't need Windows either - they might as well just use Macs, or in some cases even iPads or Chromebooks.

1. Philip Lewis

Interestingly, CVs I receive cluttered with "Microsoft Professional" certifications are on their way to the bottom from now on (actually, since forever). Advanced button pushing is not a qualification for jobs that require abstract thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You know it in your heart and your soul because Apple are lovely and shiny and make you feel all glowy and warm inside. You know it because you use your iPhone to remove your Body Thetans twice per day.

Meanwhile, back in reality, there's a difference between an iPad and a thing you can actually do some fucking work on.

1. Lallabalalla
        Big Brother

Nobody - almost nobody - buys an iPad to do WORK on. It's a toy, a gadget, a contraption, a device, a gimmick, a knicknack.

You want to do some work? Quit reading The Register and get on with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Which means a luxury item and not something that will still sell when you have other priorities.

Which means the true pathetic dependence here is Apple's - on your credit card.

2. Nikolaus Heger

Not exclusively but I definitely work on my iPad.

I even did an honest hour of good work on an iPhone recently, waiting for my computer to get fixed. I organized all the Pivotal stories for one of our projects using the Pivotal app for iOS. Pivotal for iOS is much better than the web version too.... e.g. it's better to use on an iPad (not so much iPhone because of the small screen)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

BEG PARDON? You won't believe how much work you can get done on a tablet. Smaller, lighter, instant-on... perhaps you don't get work done on it, but I and many creatives do. With the right tools, sketching, editing, building maps, writing theses, updating docs whilst on the road are a real pleasure on them.

And by the way, that goes for *any* tablet, not just iPad. Nexus 10 and Galaxy Tab are just as good at it.

1. Greg J Preece

BEG PARDON? You won't believe how much work you can get done on a tablet. Smaller, lighter, instant-on... perhaps you don't get work done on it, but I and many creatives do. With the right tools, sketching, editing, building maps, writing theses, updating docs whilst on the road are a real pleasure on them.

Depends what you're doing, naturally. I know artists that love having a tablet to doodle on. I'm a programmer. For me, tablets aren't particularly useful unless you turn them into a laptop, in which case....might as well carry a laptop.

And I do! It's a Macbook, too.

Runs Linux. :-D

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, you're paying perfect attention...no Fortune 500 companies are using iPads or iPhones for business applications.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/

1. Greg J Preece

Yes, you're paying perfect attention...no Fortune 500 companies are using iPads or iPhones for business applications.

People in business spending money on shiny they don't need was covered in the article, you know. ;-)

2. Philip Lewis
        FAIL

"Meanwhile, back in reality, there's a difference between an iPad and a thing you can actually do some fucking work on."

Not everyone is a drone .NET (java or whatever) coder. I bet assembly line fitters cannot use them for anything useful either. For many people, work can be accomplished on a tablet very, very effectively compared to the alternatives (pen & paper).

Broaden your mind and outlook beyond your incredibly tiny space. Oh sorry, you don't have one to broaden, do you?

2. Chet Mannly

"I suspect you know that MS is also pathetically dependent on Windows and Office. MS has a greater PE number than Apple, but I know in my mind which has the brighter foreseeable future."

Dependent on software that runs on 90%+ of the world's computers, despite everything its competitors including Apple and the DOJ could throw at it.

MS sells despite the fact everyone hates them, many people buy Apple because they are fashionable, and as we can see by the way Apple is bleeding market share fashions change.

That's why MS has a higher PE.

1. Andy Watt
    Thumb Down

An industry standard cynical outlook

"As I said earlier, having a nice office helps you attract and retain good staff, but that wears off pretty quickly. The fact is that it makes senior management feel good. Have you ever bought an IBM xServer because Hursley Park has nice sunken gardens?"

The fact is that the Apple employees I've known were intensely proud of working for Apple. Pride can come from working in a great looking building, and remember that Apple try to "impute" - everything is done for a reason, not just the standard executive bullshit.

Don't judge how Apple behaves in the same way as Oracle, HP or Dell do, they just don't operate the same way. To suggest it is so is convenient for the purposes of this piece, nothing more.

1. dogged

Re: An industry standard cynical outlook

Don't judge how Apple behaves in the same way as Oracle, HP or Dell do, they just don't operate the same way.

Indeed. That would be like suggesting that the Church of Scientology acts like the Red Cross.

2. Naughtyhorse
      Holmes

Re: An industry standard cynical outlook

Surely the point of the article was that the behaviour of the company is irrelevant, the price is determined by the markets expectations alone.

2. Steve Todd Silver badge

Another choice for using its cash

And one that Apple seems to be using quite a lot, is in stabilising its supply chain. It will prepay for some parts, help fund manufacturing capacity for others etc. Much of the cash on the balance sheet is listed at being in short term investments like this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work for a large consultancy company whose share price has doubled recently due to Wall Street "liking what we're doing". None of the changes I have seen, as a technician on the ground level, could remotely justify a doubling in the company's intrinsic value.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pump then dump.

4. Don Jefe
    Meh

Cash Problem

There are many reasons why having a cash pile is a bad idea but there becomes a point when even the most capatilistic countries won't let you grow out anymore. Take Google for example; because they make tons of money they've got to do something with it but every time they branch out into non core fields everyone gets bent out of shape. They know the pitfalls of sitting on too much money but get in trouble for trying to spend it...

I decided years ago that small specialty companies can put stupid amounts of money in your pocket & the company coffers but you get to fly under the radar of regulators and the whiny folk who hate it when anyone/company does are distracted by hating on Big Firm (x).

1. DragonLord

Re: Cash Problem

Google only get in trouble for it because they leverage their existing monopoly to promote their products. Microsoft learnt that lesson with internet explorer vs netscape and hasn't made the same mistake since.

5. Mike Pellatt
    Thumb Up

Big plush offices

A sine qua non for an SME (especially in the tech world) going bust is having recently moved into large, plush, expensive offices.

So whilst some of this article is questionable, I'm with Dominic on this one.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Big plush offices

Had a city tour once. During some financial crisis.

"And this is the centre of our city. Every big building you see here - their cost was exactly one bank per building".

2. graeme leggett

I believe that another outward sign is when they get rid of the fish tank in reception and biscuits in meetings in a bid to stave off bankruptcy

3. Philip Lewis
      Facepalm

Are you suggesting Apple might go broke?

just asking.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Headmaster

The point of Shares

Shouldn't be to speculate in buying and selling the shares, but invest in the company and get a dividend from the profit related to your share of ownership.

Apple don't pay dividends, nor issue new share capital so the only point of buying Apple shares is to speculate. They might as well be Tulip bulbs.

Apple are also hurting the the US economy as their iShinies suck cash out of circulation to feed their Dragon Hoard and off shore suppliers.

They are obnoxious. They spend more on lawyers, patents and market image than R&D or innovation. Jonathan Ives has even admitted the design styles are copied from Braun/Dieter Rams. The last worthwhile things they did was investing in ARM (for Newton) and Ditching OS9 for BSD based OS X.

It's all smoke and mirrors marketing and egotism.

1. danny_0x98

Re: The point of Shares

Apple does pay a dividend.

iShinies and dragon hoard? I apologize for wasting every one's time. For a moment there I was taking you seriously.

1. Oninoshiko
        Boffin

danny does have a point, Apple does pay a dividend.

*looks it up*

Seems to be 2.65 USD/share-quarter, which given the current price, means a yield of 2.28%. If dividends are how you intend to make money, there are definitely better options the Apple stock (at least at the moment).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The point of Shares ... [is to] invest in the company

With one exception, this is not at all true.

The exception is buying the shares, when the are issued, from the company itself. If you do that, the company has your cash, you are an investor. For the rest of the lifetime of those shares, the purchase price goes to the seller, which is nothing whatsoever to do with the company named on them.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: The point of Shares ... [is to] invest in the company

Which is why now it's broken and the "markets" are parasites.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Joke

"They are obnoxious. They spend more on lawyers, patents and market image than R&D or innovation. Jonathan Ives has even admitted the design styles are copied from Braun/Dieter Rams. The last worthwhile things they did was investing in ARM (for Newton) and Ditching OS9 for BSD based OS X."

Behold the iEadon.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You could act for the good of the firm by saying “we don’t need more cash”.

Too right, as someone who's staring at a "reduction in force" I just had to order $1.5 Million in equipment that's just going to sit around gathering dust because of the "if we don't spend it well get a cut in next years budget" approach to capital expenditure

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...TOLD YOU THAT WOULD HAPPEN

No, you didn't. All shares tank 'sooner or later', a valid prediction has to have a date of tanking as well as the extent of the tanking. Otherwise, even I can confidently predict that Apple shares will rise sooner or later. You heard it here first...

9. David Kelly 2

$705 is just shy of $800?

Maybe $775 would be just shy of $800 but $705 is not close.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $705 is just shy of $800?

I'd go so far as suggesting anything over $790 would be 'just shy' of $800 but $702 is a lot shy.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, the shares lost significant value...

But does it matter ? Or does it matter at this time ?

Share price is only significant in a specific case : if you -as a company - need dosh to either keep your company afloat or wish to attract capital for product developement : in both cases if you wish to bring new funds into the company. it does not matter if a share bought foor 700$ by a private investor is now being sold for 400$. This money was not in the company's coffers to start with, and is not returning to roost now.

As far as I can determine Apple is still sitting on a very large pile of filthy lurce : they are able to fullfill their business commitments AND have sufficient funds to develop products with which they can increase their value once more.

This does not have any bearing on the fact that these new products will be succesful : we will have to see what they come up with. A number of investors may be very unhappy at this point, but to Apple themselves it does not matter an iota. They'll only start worrying if they have to go looking for money outside the company.

11. Simon Rockman

It's going to get a lot worse for Apple

The attribution of the phrase "Be nice to people on the way up, you may need them on the way down" may be in doubt, but it's value is not. Apple has not been nice to its customers on the way up.

And by customers I don't mean consumers. Consumers are the people who buy phones singly. Customers are those who buy in bulk, the retailers, wholesalers and principally the mobile phone operators.

If there was a theme at Mobile World Congress it was how much the operators hate Apple (and Google in the merging markets), how the operators feel that the Over The Top players have stolen their lunch money.

Ever since AT&T's Ralph de la Vega sat down with Steve Jobs and did a deal which gave the iPhone a clear run at the market the mobile industry has been pouring money into the pockets of Apple and the industry has had enough.

Their solution - Firefox - is not a good one but that won't stop the operators from doing whatever they can to move consumers onto something which isn't Apple, even if it has to be Google, and I see a rosy future for Windowsphone.

When I worked for Motorola, and we were making rubbish phones - a decade ago - there was some sympathy and support from our customers because we'd made money for them in the past. They still ranged our products and maintained a good business relationship with us.

Apple will get no such favours. The operators are itching to drop iPhones from their portfolios and at the first hint of consumers moving to the next new shiny thing they will.

Galaxy S4 anyone?

In the meantime expect lots of new marginal new products from Apple - the first sign of trying too hard will be when they start doing lots of fruity colours.

Simon

1. Kristian Walsh

Re: It's going to get a lot worse for Apple

It's starting already. T-Mobile US is finally ranging the iPhone, but at the same time has dropped ALL handset subsidies - you want an iOS phone, you pay Apple's inflated retail price, or pay a higher monthly tariff (rental + credit repayment for the handset). This is novel for the US, where typically you pay the same monthly regardless of phone, and all phones are subsidised down to the same low price.

Exposing the US customer to the real cost of their phone exposes Apple's biggest weakness in the market: value for money. Yes, an iPhone is better value to a customer than, say, a Galaxy S3 if both are $150 (and the monthly tariff is the same), but when you remove the unequal subsidies, and the Samsung is $350 to the Apple's $650, you really need to be a fan of the brand to buy the iPhone.

Under this model, The operators will still get the high-spending iPhone customers, but those customers won't change their iPhone for the next model every time their contract expires; now that they have to pay the full price, there's no incentive for them to do so. That's bad news for Apple: they need that operator-subsidised handset churn.

Verizon and AT&T are holding back for now, but they do want to move to the same model as TMobile, and the markets know it.

I think this is the major reason why Apple's shares have tanked. Nothing to do with Maps, or a mediocre iPhone 5. Just simple business: their biggest money tap (the US operators) is in serious danger of being turned off.

12. LPF
    Paris Hilton

with a 150 Billion in reserves , apple can afford to do lots of bet the company stuff . Whats annoying the likes of you , is that the idiots that would like to have all that money to spend on coke and booze, while trying to sell all western companies to the chinese can tget their grubby mitts on it.

The apple share price is decided by whats people think its worth, Apple however makes money faster than the US can print it, when they start making losses come and talk about it!

Paris just for the hell of it !

13. This post has been deleted by a moderator

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to predict share prices.

Look at the products.

Shit products, consumers will eventually work it out, and stop buying.

It's happened to Nokia, it's happening to Apple.

1. This post has been deleted by a moderator

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: How to predict share prices.

Actually, Nokia were already sinking when Elop took over. And yes, looking back it was probably because they were the market leader that they spent so much of their energy infighting instead of producing quality goods.

He merely threw almost everyone overboard, manning the pumps or not, ripped down the sails and then set fire to the powder store.

If he's lucky, the powder is wet. Otherwise...

2. Turtle

@Eadon: Re: How to predict share prices.

"Nokia were doing fine until MS (sorry, Elop) took over, plundered it of patents and turned it into a windows phone factory."

You've got your own "reality distortion field" and as usual, it's working overtime.

15. Tim Worstal

One addition

Einhorn is right in that Apple should pay out huge whacks of that money in dividends.

However, much of that cash pile is currently held offshore and would have to pay 35% US corporate income tax and then the recipients of the divvies would pay 15% income tax on it again.

Given the tax situation it's not actually quite so clear that Apple should hand it all out. Even though the reasons given above mean that they should.......

16. ecofeco Silver badge
    Windows

Moot

Wake me when I can afford to dabble in the Wall St Casino.

17. Aldous
    Meh

Overhyped bubbles normally burst

The Apple price rode so high because of the near religious fever around Jobs and the iPhone/Pad. When Jobs died Apple stuff was already moving from "must sell kidney to own" to "its a nice shiney maybe i will get the next one"

The stock price was rocketing before then as everyone could not shut up about how wonderful Apple were at every single thing (not just on their products, from the way most IT people i met spoke, you would think every single piece of technology from the 60's to today was created by apple). Now after all those years of hype the stock (and people's expectations) are adjusting back down to a more sensible level.

See also: Every single dotcom company between 1998-2001. Some died, some survived and the ones that did had their stock price stay much lower then the bubble high

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overhyped bubbles normally burst

What people ignore is the sales are still doing very well - iPad sales were up around 50% from the year before - in a global recession by a single company with 2 main models (Mini and 10" versions). 50% up compared to the previous 12 months.

Plus look around - whenever I see someone using an iPad (and they are making their way into work and education) it's almost always an iPad. I know people who have Android tablets - most bought them as they were cheaper and many have never bought an app or any music whereas all the people I know with iPads actually buy media, apps and 'use' their devices much more fully.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple are generating a huge amount of cash and have a very low PE ratio - compare it to Google, Amazon (haha) and Microsoft - they have cash reserves worth around 1/3 of the company's market cap making them an even better investment.

If I had 10k to invest today into Apple or Samsung it would definitely go AAPL - Samsung will face much more competition from the likes of HTC, Huawei, Motorola, ZTE etc. than Apple.

Plus everyone assumes AAPL do not have new products in the wings - they make some fantastic products that people are willing to pay for - Macbook Air, Macbook Pro Retina, iMacs, iPads, iPhones and have a huge and loyal installed base.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

"compare it to Google, Amazon (haha) and Microsoft -"

Wot, no Facebook?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... products

"they make some fantastic products that people are willing to pay for - Macbook Air, Macbook Pro Retina, iMacs, iPads, iPhones and have a huge and loyal installed base."

20+ quarters of uninterrupted growth in laptop sales, or some such statistic. And the Tablets while cannibalizing it a bit, did not really slow things down as much as the pundits thought.

The idea that Apple is a one trick pony is broken, no matter how many anal-ists announce it

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020