back to article Mega launches with mega FAIL

Kim Dotcom's new cloud file locker, mega.co.nz, has all-but-failed to appear online, with its mastermind claiming global enthusiasm for the site has overwhelmed its resources. But The Reg can report the site has been flaky since shortly after its launch, when the press-only login we were sent did not work. Regular attempts to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stephen 2

Login

The key is generated during your first login.

1. The FunkeyGibbon

Oh for a roundtable meeting

With Kim Dotcom and John McAfee. All sorts of bonkers.

2. Pie
    FAIL

Signed up fine about 8am

Email came through very quickly, logged in ok, but trying to upload a file is going very slowly. 2.1k/s at the moment, and that has sped up...

Overall it seems like they have nailed the how to launch a new website without enough resources to a T.

3. Piro Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Go go, Kim Dotcom!

I think he's a fantastic character.

4. fLaMePrOoF
    Stop

OK, might not be the best launch ever but looking around it's a great product / service.

C'mon Reg, do you absolutely have to crap on everything?

Credit where credit's due...

1. Chad H.

Maybe if KimDotCom publishes an anti-global warming study they'll go easy on him...

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

I think I'll leave it at least a week before commenting.

6. Justice
    Thumb Up

It's all go...

Verified my account on my iSheep 4 which has a very interesting 'Coming Soon A dedicated app for your device will be available shortly.' are the Cult of Jobs going to approve such an app?

Good luck with that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Working OK here —although I've just registered and logged in, not tried uploading yet. No IP checking either it seems, as I've been able to set up four accounts with different email addresses. 200GB free storage. Not bad.

Well played, the fat lad!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"failed on a variety"

"failed on a variety of platforms (Mac, Windows, iPad, over ADSL in two locations and 3G wireless)"

Are... are you saying that you think making a request to an overloaded server from a different client device / different connection will affect it's ability to respond?

I really need to find another IT news site.

9. flankme

When you see propoganda it is so much sweeter when you can call it out for what it is and know beyond doubt that you are right. For some this is a massive story for some just an opportunity to create a bit of traffic to their sites, as it the case for the author of this piece. I managed to register three separate accounts with MEGA over the time period he is talking about and before then too.

I have managed to upload a few files and although small it worked very well so i call bullsheepers to the author of this piece and i have registered specifically to say that, not that all the comments will be shown but on sites that really matter MEGA is a huge success for all, and Kim is again making waves that need to be made in this closed society of ours where greed is the ultimate factor in any decision by those with just a little perceived power. The internet is the great technological levelling of the field, where anyone can say anything they want and share anything with anyone else. It is time for those who thought they had power to fall by the wayside and their cries and desperate attempts are going to be met with the contempt they deserve.

1. Chris Sake
      Trollface

Hello Kim

Welcome to The Register.

10. Roger Houghton

Response

No problems registering and validation email arrived immediately. However my initial test upload of a 1 Mb file is still at 0% after 15 minutes.

1. Roger Houghton

Re: Response

Now five hours but still at 0%.

11. atomcrusher

It's convergent encryption. The upload process works like this:

1. Encrypt the file with the file's hash as the key

2. Upload the ciphertext (which will always be the same for the same plaintext)

3. Client-side encrypt the hash (key) with the user's password

4. Upload the encrypted key for storage

The download process then goes:

1. Receive the ciphertext (encrypted file) and the encrypted key to that

2. Client-side decode the key with your password

3. Client-side decode the ciphertext with the now decoded key to obtain the original file

Because the encrypted file will *always* be the same from the same source file, they can detect duplicates. Since the hash function is one-way, there's no way to decode the original file server-side. Of course, it does mean that they know which users have uploaded a copyrighted file.

This is why the lesson here is: If you don't want Mega to know you've uploaded a copyrighted file, archive it with some random data before you upload, so the hash will be different.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.