back to article DARPA shells out $21m for IBM cat brain chip

The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is moving ahead with IBM in the third leg of its Synapse cat brain chip. That leaves one more leg, a tail, and nine lives to go. Because this is the military, the third leg of the Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics (Synapse) project at DARPA is called …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yep, 100% right

"Organic" intelligence is not a deterministic system. Real intelligence has free will... or for those who don't believe in free will, just in deterministic processes, a thinking brain is still at best a chaotic system which can produce wildly different results with an infinitesimally small change in initial conditions / environment.

By definition such systems do not always behave as expected / wanted.

Doing the research is still worth it though

1. Jean-Luc
    Joke

"Because this is the military the third leg is phase 2."

I woulda thought counting from zero would strike us as purrrfectly normal.

2. moonface

Lions led by....

Hope they don't scale that cat brain up too much. It will end up wanting to eat us!

I suppose the MOD over here, is working on a donkey version.

3. Rocket
    Terminator

you need tittle tattle

I'm waiting for one of them to come up with something they can call positronic.

And promise they are "three laws safe" (tm)

4. stsr505089
    Mushroom

God help us all......

I'm hoping I'll be dead and buried before machines become self-aware. Nothing like a bit of ice cold logic to make decisions about the human race.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Dexter
    Devil

Cat-powered internet?

So the internet really will be made of cats.

I'm not sure I like the direction this is going.

7. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Kitten bombs, anyone?

Highly effective against Ghasts, apparently.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Who ate the Mouse?

A

C

A

T

I

S

F

I

N

E

T

O

O

9. kleinman
    Pint

DARPA Requirement

Being this is a DARPA project, how will the brain chips work when inside a glass jar full of bubbling liquid?

10. AceRimmer1980
    Terminator

Hey buddy

You got a dead cat in there,or what?

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Pint

Excellent Terminator reference

10 points for you, sir!

11. hi_robb
    Coffee/keyboard

Does this mean..

That the computers we have in future will scratch our furniture and wake us up in the morning with dead animals at the foot of the bed?

D.

12. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

When can we make a 'Mind', and bootstrap the Culture and enjoy all the debauchery it potentially could offer?

13. Javc
    Alert

Watch out IBM Dude

Someone from the future is going to try to kill you.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

The Chinese ....

are working on a cheaper version, and the soviets on a dog

15. johndouglas77
    WTF?

Skynet Soon??? Spooky!!!

Hi there,

This is spooky. Are these the first steps towards SkyNet?

A romanian scientist studying artificial intelligence, neuroscience and robotics, declared a couple of weeks ago that he cracked the neural code, which is akin to finding artificial intelligence. His name is Dorian Aur and he is with Stanford University. See his site [url]neuroelectrodynamics.blogspot.com[/url]. He challenges the entire neuroscience community findings, for the past 60 years. He posted on the comp-neuro list [url]http://www.neuroinf.org/pipermail/comp-neuro/2011-August/date.html[/url] his discussions with other top scientists and no one is contradicting him. He talks about getting the Nobel Prize, see his last post. He studied and worked in the MILITARY see his LinkedIn profile [url]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dorian-aur/24/783/763[/url]!!!!

I saw MegaMind last week and I think he is MEGAMIND!!! In the scene with Roxanne abduction when she is asking him where is he buying all his stuff, Minion, his robotic fish companion is saying "from a mall in Romania"!!! How many scientists that found AI are from Romania are in the military and robotics and are living close to Hollywood? The directors from Hollywood maybe know about this and they are trying to tell us something as John Cameron also tried to warn us through the Terminator movies.

I never been more scared in my entire life. http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/wtf_32.png

What do you guys think?

John

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like