back to article Death row inmate claims allergy to lethal injection

An Ohio death row inmate is attempting to postpone his imminent appointment with the lethal injection gurney by claiming a possible allergy to the anaesthetic used by the state to dispatch its condemned prisoners. Darryl Durr Darryl Durr (pictured) is sentenced to die next Tuesday for the 1988 rape and murder of 16-year-old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Death Penalty

You could of course just not kill people as part of your "justice" system. But then that would be civilized.

1. brimful

@Death Penalty

What's so uncivili "S" ed about trying to increase the average purity of the human race? If all sexual predators had their knees capped and then buggered by a huge frikkin shotgun before being released from this planet, then there would be no sexual abuse. Bring on the draconian actions for these sub-humans.

Iconset: Evil jobs - cos a butt raping by him would be the first step

Next comes the grenade - cos that's one way to blow their knees

Finally, it's our best friend and worst enemy - the flame. Burn baby burn

1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
        Troll

@brimful

Are you trying to get someone to invoke Godwin's law? You know it doesn't apply if the comparison to the Nazis is valid don't you?

2. Dave Gregory
        FAIL

Yeah

Cos no-one innocent ever got murdered by the state. Not saying this man is innocent, but, seriously, are you some kind of sadist? Punishment by rape is currently (allegedly) popular in Iranian prisons. Why not f*ck off over there and see how good an idea you think it is. Barbarian.

3. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

@brimful

You forgot to use the joke alert icon.

2. Andy 17
    Dead Vulture

Take the NHS approach..

Go ahead and inject him and if he complains afterwards start thinking about compensation!

3. Natalie Gritpants Silver badge
    Go

Should have a word my my vet

He assures me that when the time comes to kill my horse he's got an injection that will do it in seconds. He says it's so effective that he's no longer carrying a gun around (in case of emergency call-outs, not bill collecting).

1. Rattus Rattus

So,

he DOES still carry the bill-collecting one then?

4. Alan 6
    IT Angle

must contain letters and/or digits.

Whilst I strongly oppose the death penalty, I do feel that if it is lawful in their jurisdiction then they should perhaps use whatever method the killer used in the first place, so they get a dose of their own medicine so to speak...

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: must contain letters and/or digits.

Oh my Christ, there are so many things wrong with that sentence.

1. NukEvil
        FAIL

@Re: must contain letters and/or digits.

I totally agree. That sentence is missing a comma, and it may also be considered a run-on sentence by some grammar nazis. Totally unacceptable in a comment thread.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

@ Alan 6

You basically dont strongly oppose the death penalty then, do you?

5. Graham Bartlett

@Andus and lethal injection

Yeah, I don't get that at all.

For that matter, junkies regularly manage to shoot up with too much heroin/coke and off themselves; and here in the UK we've had medical "professionals" offing patients by accidentally or deliberately giving them overdoses of opiate painkillers. Granted there may be some variation between patients as to what's a lethal dose - but if you give them a metric sh1tload of it that'd kill a rhinoceros, the result should be pretty much certain. And if there's one thing opiate drugs guarantee, it's a pleasant exit.

Re: @Andus and lethal injection

Andus, Graham, I don't think you read the article properly. Or at all. Try again. Or don't. See if I care.

1. Andus McCoatover

Er, I think we did...

I wonder if you're referring to the bit "In Texas in 1989, Stephen McCoy "reacted violently to the chemicals and began choking and seizing, despite being restrained". A state official later admitted "a heavier dose might have been warranted".

In 1992, Oklahoma prisoner Robyn Lee Parks "also had a violent reaction as the muscles in his jaw, neck, and abdomen began to spasm about two minutes after the drugs started to flow"."

Note the plural in the "chemicalS". These folks were topped by the 3-chemical method.

Or, is this the bit you're gagging on:

"an untried sedative and painkiller combination, which when injected into muscle is "supposed to produce death" "

SUPPOSED??? Backup???

Sarah, have another shot at "Reading and Intelligent Reasoning 101". You might pass next time...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Methods of execution are all barbaric

I have to agree with Andus McCoatover. Why can't every single method of death sentence be replaced with something completely painless? How about decapitation? 100% effective, no _verified_ proof of life after the procedure and 100% painless.

Bring back the guillotine. Make it modern and administered from behind the person (so they don't see the blade coming), make it a sphincter or... jeez whatever you get in camera lenses for aperture control (think Stargate iris). Instant death. Perhaps a little bit of mess though. Hmmm.

What I'm getting is that the barbaric 3-chemicals and strapped to a table thing is definitely cruel and unusual. Electric chair? How is that _any_ better? Gas chamber? Deeply unpleasant way to experience death. I think I'd prefer a bullet. The problem appears to be that they want witnesses and putting a bullet in someone makes a mess they won't want to see... What, watching someone do the 50,000V (or however much it is) shuffle, cough gas or scream as the chemicals go in isn't going to give you nightmares? Have a coroner watch and pronounce and just get it done.

Alternatively abolish the death sentence.

7. Gene Poole
    FAIL

Chop, chop!

Why not introduce the guillotine? It's quick and easy. The problem with lethal injection is that it's an exact science, and the combination of uncooperative victim and hamfisted executioner often leads to a botched performance.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Grenade

Yes, but.

Lavoisier (and others since) put paid to that idea.

When he was executed during the Reign of Terror after the French Revolution, he decided to put the experience to good use and settle once and for all the argument over whether or not death by guillotine was instantaneous.

He arranged for his manservant to stand adjacent to him on the scaffold and said that he would blink for as long as he was able after his head was severed. It is recorded that he blinked rhythmically for about 45 seconds after decapitation.

Other examples exist of research into the length of time a decapitated head remains capable of conscious thought, notably the work done by Dr. Beaurieux at the execution of the condemned criminal Henri Languille in 1905.

I think we're well into "cruel and unusual" territory there. Also I'd have thought that anyone who subscribes to the rather two-faced view of killing people but only in a nice way would probably object to the mess caused by decapitation, as it might offend their sensibilities.

1. Andus McCoatover

Cold Lazarus?

Thanks to the late, great Dennis Potter.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guillotine?

Why not use the old head chopper? Can have as many buttons as you want to trick someone into thinking they havent killed someone. However, I have to say if you are willing to press a button which may kill the person where 2 buttons are pressed then you would be willing to press it if there is only one button.

9. Andy 6
    WTF?

an eye for an eye...

And did the girl he raped and then murdered have a painless death?

I dont think so. so give him the damned drugs n if he reacts, tough s**t !

he shoulda thought of that before

1. M Gale

An eye for an eye...

...makes the whole world blind.

I believe that's a Ghandi quote.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

horah!

at least ugly people can get laid too then

10. Robert Ramsay

The only reason...

...that they specify it to be painless etc. is so they can fool themselves that they still have the moral high ground.

11. James O'Shea

Hang him

He's not arguing that he's not guilty, he's just trying to avoid that particular way of being executed. Cool. Rope is cheap and reusable, gravity is free. Hang him. Problem done.

12. No, I will not fix your computer
    Stop

I think.....

Taking someones life away is probably punishment enough, making them suffer in the process is just nasty, if you want to take somebodys life away and make them suffer in the process it probably says more about you and your moral values.

The people who end the prisoners lives are not medically trained (in fact doctors and nurses are usually not allowed to participate), even if they get it right there are serious doubts that it's in fact painless (The Lancet v365), they are just paralysed and unable to express the pain (but they still feel it), while you might think this is OK for murderers and in fact you might want them to suffer, but again, even if they were in fact guilty of their crimes, what does this say about you when you're not even the victim or anyone related to the victim?

1. Justin Clements

So?

> Taking someones life away is probably punishment enough, making them suffer in the process is just nasty, if you want to take somebodys life away and make them suffer in the process it probably says more about you and your moral values.

I'm sure he was also considerate when he murdered the 16 year old girl.

Personally, I wonder if he's allergic to a 9mm to the back of the skull?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

OK

So you seem to think that crimes cancel each other out. Is that right?

Are you one of the wonderful people who have such a lust to see another human suffer and die you are jumping at the chance to do it with some (dubious) moral high ground?

If *we* as a society are no better than the criminals what right do we have to judge them? If it is simply law of the strongest then there was no crime.

13. Sartori

Any reason why....

Any reason why they can't go back to the previous method?

Quote "He faces a single injection of thiopental sodium, rather than the traditional three-chemical cocktail used for such executions. Ohio last year became the first state to switch to the one-hit lethal anaesthesia method."

Or, they could transport him to another state that still uses the old method.

Curious what the supposed benefits are that caused them to change over in the first place, actually, you know what, i'm not that curious it's a bit morbid for a Thursday PM to go searching the net for information on lethal injections.

1. Dave Gregory

Paralysis

That's why they switched over. So the thio wears off as the muscle relaxant takes hold. You are aware, in fact fully conscious, but unable to move any voluntary muscle as you (a) become hypoxic and (b) the KCl causes your heart to go into VF.

Real nice. That's why they changed it. With an overdose of an anaesthetic induction agent you're out and stay that way.

Not that the death penalty is anything I could ever support in any way.

14. Cthonus
    Grenade

Insert title painlessly here

Rather than forcing capital punishment on this poor misunderstood killer why don't we commute his term to a life sentence of sub-editing the Reg?

@Cthonus

Heh.

15. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Heart

@Sarah

Deep breaths and relax. We're not worth it.

16. Onionman
    Pirate

Nitrogen

If you've decided you're going to execute prisoners you have to do it painlessly, so put them in a chamber and fill it with nitrogen.

1. They can't be allergic to it, as it's the main components of air.

2. They'll have a brief moment of euphoria, be unconscious after a few breaths, and dead as a doornail in a few minutes.

No skill required.

O

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yup

That'd work. Anybody with a (remotely) medical background who could give a reason why they can't/won't/shouldn't do this?

Onionman for Governor...

1. Cameron Colley

@Lord Elpuss

I made an admittedly oblique reference to this on the first page of comments.

When asked by Michael Portillo one lawman in a state wit hteh death penalty said that the fact the victim would experience euphoria meant it wasn't suitable as there was no suffering in that.

The fact is that, despite pretending they want this to be painless, what the people involved in this want is to make it a barbaric process. Fuck knows why, as I think more people may consider the death penalty a good idea if it weren't for all the pointless fucking around.

1. JonP

argon?

Yeah i remember that Portillo documentary - as i recall they tried different gasses (on pigs?) and found some gasses (nitrogen etc) although effective caused the pigs to become stressed due to suffocating (i.e. it would be inhumane). I think they settled on argon? But as you said the pro-death penalty guy said it was too easy - but that might have just been an extreme opinion for the sake of 'good TV'.

17. Euchrid

George Carlin

Kinda reminds me of what the great man once said:

"In prisons, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol...Well they dont wan't you to get an infection! And you can see their point, wouldn't want someone to go to hell AND be sick! Would take a lot out of the sportsmanship out of the whole execution."

1. Dave Gregory

Because

Last minute - literally! - reprieves are possible. Imagine the cost if the state gave a man who was about to be aqcuitted hepatitis or some other such nasty blood-borne disease.

18. Jim Coleman
    Grenade

Well...

I think executions should be conducted by the nearest relative or best friend who wants to do it, and should replicate the method used by the killer on his own victim.

That way the punishment fits the crime and the aggrieved are sated.

Although personally I'm more for a lifetime of breaking stones and instant coffee.

19. Matt.Smart

Cue flaming?

Seems odd that no-one has really only said the following: the death penalty is plain wrong. A life in prison for his crimes - fine. Killing someone for their crimes - abhorrent. There's reason it was banned in the UK (and is banned in 95 countries, and forbidden by the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union).

20. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

reminder, this is not revenge

the criminal have committed a crime, that is why s/he is getting *punished*.

but no matter what the crime was, *WE* are the ones that carry out the punishment. The punishment reflect *us* and our standards.

demanding that the rapist should be raped or have a *violent* death, is *revenge* not *punishment*. Keep that in mind young people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

plus

for the record, I support the death sentience, but I also understand that if someone killed 1 person or a 1000 people, in the end s/he can only be executed *once*.

1. Walking Turtle
        Go

So let us start

...with the most egregious serial offenders first, shall we? Bush/Blair/Cheney/Rummie et al rise to mind... (Contemporary equivalents included; bring y'own batteries.) Get around to the Karadich- and Amin-level butchers after...

We all might or might not end up safer goin' that way (I think so, mese'f) but either way, there'd be sure to be a difference.

2. Greg J Preece

Young people?

"Keep that in mind young people."

As a young person, can I vote for "not being a complete bunch of savage cunts and stooping below their level?" You know, we could always *not* kill the guy.

Or you could all readily jump to your feet and suggest more efficient ways to kill sentient human beings, I dunno.

God, I need a drink.

21. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Pick something from the Bible

If Americans are so pious, why not pick an execution method from the good old book?

If it's good enough for God, it must be good enough for us....

</sarcasm>

1. Justin Clements
      FAIL

Eh?

Which Good Old Book would that be? Or do you mean the Good Book?

And which of the two Good (Old) Books are you referring to? The Old Testament, eye for eye Judaism thing, or the New Testament with Jesus and the turn the cheek thing and forgiveness thing?

For goodness sake, if you are going to tell us what's good enough for God, at least read the Bible.

22. Huntsman
    Happy

How about...

getting him smashed off his tits on some reefer, then just inject him with a massive amount of morphine? Unless he has a whitey on the gange, I can't see any problems with this proposal. Plus, he'd have a cracking last meal when he has the munchies. Everyone's a winner.

1. scottboy
      WTF?

Re: How about...

OK. I'm sure I'm not alone in not being down with the kids 'n' the hood and all that but what the hell is a "whitey on the gange"? Google was no help and I can't check urbandictionary at work.

1. SuperTim

Whitey on gange

Is a sudden and violent sickness while smoking Cannabis. Effectively an instant hangover caused by Ganja. You turn white, as it were.

Please dont ask how i know about this, it is too traumatic to recount.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022