back to article People just not that into Blu-ray

Winning the next-gen DVD format war turns out to be a bit like getting crowned "most popular stench." Blu-Ray may have overwhelmed the competition, but that doesn't mean folks plan to invite it into their home. Although nearly half of Americans now own a high definition television, the overwhelming majority show little …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Si 1
    Gates Horns

Hmmm, could that be because Blu Ray is too fucking expensive?

All I ever hear from the PS3 owners I know is: "they're too expensive, I'd rather just buy the DVD".

My first thought watching the MS conference at E3 this year was that their announcement of 1080p streaming HD movies has just killed Blu Ray. It will be interesting to see if it's successful.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

crap bluray catalogue/crap DRM

It's all sick DRM crap. I have a bluray burner in my pc but I can't watch bluray films because my monitor is not HDCP compliant. It's ridiculous. The other thing is that a crap Hollywood film is still rubbish at high definition. Have you checked what's on bluray at the moment? 99.99% of the Hollywood production is not worth watching at any definition...

3. Apocalypse Later

Patience

All things come to he who waits. Not enough free movies for you on broadcast TV? Sure they are mostly terrible, but they were like that when people paid cinema prices to see them freshly minted. I haven't been to a cinema in over 20 years. There is more than enough to watch on freeview/freesat, and the latest movie will get there too. Why turn it into a re-run by paying through the nose to watch it ahead of time?

4. Sooty

not many HD worthy films

The majority of blu-rays released aren't taking advantage of the format. Pretty much anything more than a few years old doesn't have a high enough quality source to release without some serious restoration. Some are even just upscaled dvd prints as it's cheaper than re-mastering it.

The market is seriously hampered by a lack of decent stuff available, that people a) don't already have on dvd, b) isn't a fraction of the price on dvd, or c) isn't worth getting in high def anyway.

currently i'm still buying both, for each film i decide if it's worth getting it in HD, usually it's not so i get the dvd.

5. Doug Glass
    Go

It's The Cost Stupid!

When prices drop to the level of quality DVD players, BR will catch on. And people having [large] collections of "wrong" format disks may have a bit to do with it.

Blu-ray is a great solution to a non problem promoted by a company that treats people like roaches.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I like Blu-ray

Having watched the same film on a normal TV, DVD on HDTV, SKY HD & Blu-ray

I can definitely state that on my system and for my eyesight there is a big difference.

Even away from home I get an advantage from buying films on Blu-ray, my laptop can play them too.

As for downloading films? I live in the country and its quicker to order a film from an online retailer than it is to download it at the same resolution. Takes me a whole day to download a SuSE DVD iso.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I watch blu-ray

Via my PS3. Sure, the HD is good on my massive TV, the picture looks awesome! How many Blu-ray disks have I actually bought? - ZERO!

Besides, most of the"filmed in 1080p" films only have certain scenes in 1080p with most of the film in 720p or whatever, Batman Forever was a good example of this.

Also, why do they fill the disc up with crap, all I want to do is watch the film, I couldn't give a shit about concept art or some appallingly bad "game", Concept art???? I've just watched the fucking film! why would I want to see sketches that vaguely look a bit like the film content?

And also, what's all this crap about "would you like the blu-ray disk to connect to the internet and download content?" - No, I fucking would not, fuck off!

HD is gonna happen eventually, but they have screwed up blu-ray big time and it's waaaaay too expensive.

It should simply be a format for playing films in the best way they can be played, that is all it needs to succeed. Greedy corps want to effect the way you behave by filling the format with unwanted pointless crap in a hope that they will make you consume more and that is where it fails.

Is it time to bring on the next contender? I think so, but I wonder if software patents and over zealous corporations will hold HD just out of reach.

One last thing,

"In the near future, access to high definition movies may be a download or streaming delivery of one's favorite movies to a home media server that eliminates the need for a Blu-ray player or Blu-Ray disc."

I'm sure the ISPs will love that. Everyone downloading HD movies all the time, fuck!

8. Lex 2
    Stop

Pricey

I own a bluray player (in the form of a PS3). And I have bought a couple of bluray movies, but only a very small number, purely because (in my case) of the prices. You have DVD sales of good movies all the time, bringing prices down even as far as £5 (£2 if you want a particuarly old movie), where as very few blurays are ever less than £10-15. And I'm just not willing to replace the things I already own for that kind of cost. I'm even hesitant about getting new movies at that kind of cost.

Sort out the prices and you might find people start buying. With things the way there are at the moment, people are a bit more frugal anyway, since money isnt abundant still.

9. Paw Bokenfohr

yeah but no but yeah but no but

Yes, I have a BluRay player, and yes I have a number of BluRays, and yes, I can tell a great difference between them and the DVDs which I also have.

But no, I am not going to be buying all the things I already have on DVD on BluRay again, and not even going to be buying most of my favorites (again) at least not until there is some significant price-droppage.

The only BluRays I've bought are my absolute best movies; I'll get the Star Wars set when it arrives for example (I already have it on VHS twice; remember 4:3 VHS? - I do; and DVD twice; remember the films before the re-CGIing - I do!) but will happily buy them on BluRay because the quality of the picture is that much better and I love the films.

But I'm not going to re-buy the hundreds of other DVDs I have like the Bond movies and the TV shows and the hundreds of other movies that I watch once every 3 or 5 years. Why on earth would I, at £25 a pop? Now, if they were £9.99, it might be different. TBH, I know BluRay is a good format - I can see it - but I don't see why a BRD should cost more than DVD - the physical media can't cost more to make, so why should it cost more to me? The content is the same after all, just higher definition, so it feels like a rip off to me, and I don't like that at all.

I suspect that I am not uncommon.

10. stevebuttonmoon
    Pirate

Not a snowballs chance in hell

I wouldn't touch BluRay or Sony with a barge pole

DVD is bad enough, why should I be forced to wait to watch the film I've bought while they tell me not to be a pirate, I've already paid...

Then there's the trailers and crappy menus

And they wonder why piracy is such a problem...

Corporate f*!ckwits the lot of them.

S.

11. Paul Hates Handles

Not surprising

Some of the players take a few minutes to get to a disc's menu. The only player really worth having is the PS3 - and nobody wants to pay £300 for a Blu-Ray player. It seems the inferior product won and now people are suprised at the lack of take-up :)

12. David Paul Morgan
    Go

Horses for courses

Is it worth re-buying your existing collection? - no

Downloading? if you can get it to work. I never have.

V+ HD and Virgin 'catch-up' TV - brilliant.

Quality via Panasonic 1080p /V+/PS3 - Brilliant.

Blu-Ray rental from the movie stores - brilliant.

Having to scroll through the crap when you just want to see the film - rubbish.

Cinema - looking less good and still has scratches, unless you have a digital projection cinema nearby.

Blu-Ray prices range from £5 to £25 - the prices will adjust as mass-production kicks in.

13. Jerome 0

Inflated due to online poll?

Surely if anything the figures would be deflated by running an online poll, since everyone online is merrily downloading their content, as will world & dog be in a year or three.

14. Dan 14

Ownership

Perhaps people are realising there might be no real reason to actually own a copy of a movie you may watch once every year or so at best. You can just stream/on-demand/download it whenever you want to watch it. Why clutter your shelves with boxes that never move when at least the most popular things are available 24/7 over some sort of network anyway. Are niche film sales taking a similar hit to the big titles?

15. Phil Endecott

Do they know what they have?

Ask Joe Average whether his TV is "high definition" or not and he won't know. Similarly if his DVD player is "blue ray" or not. My guess is that the default answer to the first question is "yes", since the alternative "low definition" sounds bad, while the default answer to the second is "no", since "it's a grey box, not blue". A survey like this ought to have control questions like "is your DVD player Green Ray?" to weed out respondents who don't know.

16. Andy Miller

Better, but not sufficiently so

Got a new laptop recently with a Blu-Ray (sic) player and HDMI, so we bought a disc to try it out on our HD telly. To me, the results are better than DVD, but then I spent nine years making TV broadcast equipment, so I know what to look for. However, if the film is sufficiently interesting you forget to look at the image quality. If the film isn't sufficiently interesting, I'll turn off the telly and do something more interesting instead.

So, not worth the cost margin over DVD, unless image quality is prime concern.

17. lupine
    Unhappy

why oh

why are the players so pricey??

18. Geoff Campbell
    Thumb Up

Early adopters rule

It occurs to me that this is possibly the first time in history that the bulk of early adopters have got ahead of the curve.

All of the early adopters I know are now moving to a media-free existence, as fast as is possible. One disk per film sucks dead rats when you can store 40 or so HD films on a £50 HDD, and home networks are generally fast enough to stream full HD content, if designed properly.

Add to that media players that can be updated to cope with new file and encoding formats as they come along (yes, well, that would be nice, wouldn't it, Linksys? Anyone wanna buy a cheap KISS1600?), and the argument for physical media starts to look decidedly wobbly.

Welcome to the 21st Century, boys and girls. I for one am loving it, although I still want to know where my flying car and jetpack are.

19. Giles Jones Gold badge

Player price

Once the players drop sub £100 then it will become more popular.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Blu ray is great

I love Blu-rays. Quality is stunning sound is great. PS3 starts them quickly and there is less unskippable rubbish before the film than most DVDs seem to have.

Price - £2 per rental from LoveFilm. Over 1000 available now.

When I can rent online 50GB (OK, 25GB when excluding extras) movie files as efficiently and cheaply I might change my mind.

Noticeable compression artefacts are rare with blu-rays apart from the very earliest which were poorly mastered and often only used MPEG2. Virtually all now use MPEG4 AVC.

21. Dr. Whoosh
    Thumb Up

Just bought one

Last weekend, I finally gave in to the urge to buy a new flat screen. I did buy a Blu Ray player with it. The reason was that I would need the upscaling. I rent discs via LoveFilm so I not be buying that many discs and I will certainly not replace anything that I already have on DVD. I get a kick out of the HD images so it was not a difficult descision for me. So far I am well chuffed.

22. Len Goddard

No advantage

DVD through a half-way decent upscaler is more or less indistinguishable from blu-ray for most material except possibly for the very latest stuff (comparisons done on my mates 60" screen using an expensive blu-ray player). Personally I have a 32" SD tv and no space or desire for anything bigger. Upgrading to HD would probably be almost indistinguishable at my normal viewing distance.

Plus I have 600+ DVDs in a variety of regional encodings. If/when blu-ray players without region locking are as cheap as today's dvd players I might buy one. I assume by then I'll have an HDtv as my current box will have worn out. On the other hand, considering the quality of most of what is broadcast nowadays, I might simply dump the TV and stick to watching DVDs via a computer.

23. Paul Simmonds 1

It's all about the price point

Currenty a resonable brand name DVD is £50 whereas a Blu-ray is £150, typically people will only pay 20% over the odds for better technology, so when we get blu-ray players to £60-70 then you will see it start to take off - simple as that.

24. Ben Norris

hella expensive cables

Thanks to the miracles of digital as long as the signal gets there it will be perfect so those £80+ HDMI cables that the likes of Currys and Comet try to sell you are absolutely pointless. Do yourself a favour and get a £10 or cheaper one from your local supermarket and enjoy the exact same quality picture.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So it's decided then?

Blu-Ray is a format that not many techies are impressed with? Many of them openly talking about its flaws, how it could be better, it's inflated price and how it is not really that good.

The final seal has been broken, Blu-Ray is released. The masses will now suddenly start buying into the format and getting everything they can on Blu-Ray, the format will take off and finally be a huge success.

In the distance will be the cries and whimpers of the techies...."but it's too expensive", "The DRM is too restrictive", "the format should be used differently", "you don't understand, they are deliberately making you pay more!"

And the masses will pay more...

26. Annihilator Silver badge
    Boffin

Upscale vs remastering

Unfortunately, it's now the case that you MUST read publications like Total Film etc to figure out how the rereleased content has been mastered, and whether it's worth the upgrade. Contrary to popular belief (@The Might Spang), a lot of stuff HAS been filmed in HD - if it was captured on ordinary film, there is a benefit to be gained. Do you think cinema projections are DVD quality? Or VHS pre-mid-nineties?

If they create the bluray print from the 35mm (or 70mm) film master, then you'll end up with a "proper" HD copy. If they simply upscale the DVD print (lazy) then you're no better off, save for the more advanced techniques they use that your upscaling player just can't pull off in real-time. 70mm (even 35mm) has more than enough information to warrant HD resolutions. All depends on the optics of the film equipment of course.

27. James Le Cuirot
    Linux

Linux

I'm waiting for better support in Linux. You can play them but it's a bloody hassle, even by my standards. The fact that we can play them at all is a good sign though.

28. The Avangelist
    Flame

It isn't the quality that is the issue

The whole thing of 'hi definition' was a bit of a white lie to start with, it was a justification to improving the quality of lcd screens over CRT's.

I have a PS3, I had it with a bog standard CRT for a good year. I finally decided I wanted to free up the 2ft by 5ft space my jumbo CRT took in the living room and bought a flat screen. Obviously I bought a HD Samsung. The only difference between playing GTA with and without a HD connection is that I can read the text clearer going through HDMI.

Your eyes cannot tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray disc, anyone who says they can is lying to save face because they think they're stupid for not being able to tell the difference.

My best friend has gone back to watching VHS and I don't blame him! He can watch a film or a tv show and stop it come back to it a few days later and pick up exactly where he left off! How many people can do that with their DVD's or Blu-Ray? Not many.

The other big flaw is that they are utilising Blu-Ray space to fill with loads of extra 'content' rather than focusing on the cinematic release itself, this has always been the failing with DVD.

I don't remember any of my VHS Tapes having behind the scenes dross, useless menus or 'extra deleted scenes'. They're deleted because they didn't belong in the movie, jog on!

29. Citizen Kaned
    Thumb Down

hmmm

""Consumers today can easily watch high definition TV channels or use the internet or video-on demand to access high definition movies," Ellis said. "In the near future, access to high definition movies may be a download or streaming delivery of one's favorite movies to a home media server that eliminates the need for a Blu-ray player or Blu-Ray disc."

-- not in the UK, stream a 50+Gb movie in 90 mins? yeah right.

only sky has a decent range of HD content. im on virgin and we can only get BBC HD.

personally i buy the BR disk of movies i want to see at the cinema, as my sound system sounds much better than any cinema ive been to, and on a 42" TV my picture is a damn site more clear too...

the problem is that many old dvds arent even proper DVD quality. its only new movies like transformers, ironman etc that really do HD justice. plus all the people with crappy 720p TVs.

remember though that DVD had the same problem initially, it was only when DVD prices went down that mass adoption came into affect

"Oddly enough, although HD DVD is technically a dead format, it's apparently doing better than Blu-ray amongst those polled. About 11 per cent said they owned a HD DVD player, while 7 per cent said they own a Blu-ray player." odd, so more yanks have a HD-DVD player than a PS3? i doubt that.

"When Blu-ray player or PS3 owners were asked if they plan on switching their disc library completely, only about 25 per cent answered yes" - only a RETARD would do this. as i say its only films from the last 10 years that are viable. films like aliens is on such poor video stock that dvd really didnt look that much better than VHS... just the sound was much better.

i only buy BR if its a film i know i will want to watch a few times and i know HD will do it justice. my next BR purchase will be the watchmen.

@"With 1TB+ hard disks now pretty cheap, it's easy to store your entire library on the hard disk and bypass the need to deal with optical media at all." - wont get many 50GB movies on a 1TB drive will you...

@"i like Blu-ray. I would like to make my future purchases in Blu-ray. Am I going to pay twenty five feckin' quid for each one? Get stuffed! So only the films I really care about are going to arrive on BD." - 25 quid? i get mine for £15 from play. or £22/2.... stop shopping at ripoff HMV lol... dvds are all £16+ for decent new ones there...

@"Blu-ray over DVD is just about higher resolution." - get new eyes or a decent TV. the difference on my 42" toshiba over dvd is massive. but then i find a lot of DVDs look a bit crap. maybe its my designer's eyes?

@"I like the format and it can be done properly. When you look at transfers like Blade Runner, Zulu or 2001: A Space Odyssey, you see how stunning it can look." - bladerunner looks amazing :) also older films like fifth element look amazing too....

@"BD movies insist I watch all the crap the studios/publishers/whatever shove on the front of every movie - so I have no control" - you mean like DVDs do? or do you watch too many copies to remember this?

for any doubters please try something like the BBC Planet Earth series - simply remarkable.

30. tiggertaebo
    Stop

Better.. but not THAT much better

My housemate and I are both very much into our movies and he has rather nice home setup (46" Sony HDTV with full 1080p and a full Linn surround setup) for which he has just picked up a Blu-Ray player to replace our previous upscaling DVD player (which was a VERY nice bit of kit and streets ahead of "normal" DVD players), I've watched a couple of Blu-Ray discs on it so far and a couple of regular DVDs so far I would say that although the quality improvements in BD are definately there I only tend to notice them if I am looking for them. I'f I'm immersed in the movie I might as well be watching the DVD. So far I'd say that the player does a nice job, slightly slow start up times but not something I'd throw the toys over.

On the whole I'd say its not worth the premium for Blu-Ray discs - at nearly twice the price of the equivilant DVD I'd rather pick the film up on DVD and buy another cheap one. Particularly since having it on Blu-Ray narrows my view options, I can't watch in my room or take it with me and watch on the laptop etc.

Oh and I'm dead against download-only for getting films. I LIKE the physical collection, I LIKE being able watch them wherever I want, I LIKE being able to take films to a friends place for a social evening etc.

31. Ian Michael Gumby
    Paris Hilton

I have to concur with the sentiment of a lot of posters....

Blu Ray isn't dead.

The players are still in flux and the cost of the disks are pretty expensive. Blue Ray 1.5, 2.0?

What's the next big thing?

My sister has a really nice high end projection tv in her finished basement. Note: Not the really high end but still up there and enough to make me jealous. She's using a PS3 as her blue ray player.

Definitely a big difference from just picking up 1080p off the cable.

While the disks are expensive, there are alternatives now. As 'fiber to the house' becomes available in more areas, sending blue ray quality images to the house in a 'video on demand' strategy is going to be a possibility. If you can't stand the idea of having 500 channels of junk, you could imagine 100 channels of not as much junk but at a higher quality and of course sports packages and 'content on demand' This is becoming a reality. So why should people upgrade their dvd collection and spend $$$ on disks that they may only watch once or twice?

Only the true videophile will want one.

(Unless you're talking about burning blue rays on you computer for ROM storage. ... ;-)

I chose Paris because like my wife, most women could hardly care about the difference in image quality between reg def, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DRM is the killer

I borrowed a BD player with several legit BDs and a few ripped BDs.

The legit BDs were all very slow to start (and on kept crashing the machine, meaning I had several 5 minute pauses in the film.)

The ripped BDs all played perfectly, started as quickly as a DVD, and also some would play on Geexbox or VLC on a PC with a BDROM drive.

The player was great, but to be honest, I would not buy (m)any BDs with this artificial crippling, ripped disks are far better, but I don't want a collection of pirate disks. So for me the format is a fail.

It is also quite possible to fit HD videos onto standard DVD media. (There is a BD compatible format called BD9)

What is the betting that future upscaling DVD players will also support HD on DVDROM (and if they supported BD-9, then suitable disks would also play on BD players, give it a couple of years and we might find them amongst the £1 disks in markets)

33. Matthew 17

Where are folk shopping to get these prices?

I have 2 BD players (1 is a PS3). The quality on a large flat screen or projector is great.

You can get a great player for under £200 so they're really not expensive, at this stage in the life of CD or DVD they were over twice that. Media isn't that more expensive either.

The biggest problem I see is that the available software is poor, the selection in shops is also very poor. When you go into your local electrical retailers they almost always have SD TV multiplexed to 100 screens and the picture looks hopeless.

In addition when DVD came out most of the films released were just ported from VHS and had poor video and sound without any extras, you had to wait for the eventual 'Special Edition', this is also true of BD whereby most of the films coming out unless they're a new film are just upscaled ports from the DVD and again without any extras.

Physical media will still be around for at least a decade as the Internet just isn't up to the task and won't be for a long time. Waiting for a film to download before you can start watching is is hopeless, it's like loading a game off a cassette for your 8-Bit home computer!

34. goggyturk
    Thumb Up

It's actually quite good

I like it. Having watched a couple of Blu ray flicks on our rather modest 32" LCD TV, I would say the quality is noticeably better - even the missus can see the difference, and she's a total luddite. We may even upgrade to a bigger telly to get the full effect.

Older DVDs upscale quite nicely too - although that may be a double edged sword in this case.

As this survey covers the US, this may be skewing things somewhat. In this country, Blu ray disks aren't so much more expensive than DVDs and most people will be willing to pay (say) £5 more for better quality I would say.

My gut feeling is that it will be a success - each 'must have' release that comes out will drive adoption a little more. But hey, what do I know?

35. Enrico Vanni
    Stop

No competition!

The biggest problem for increased bluray takeup is the amount of HD content that is being produced that simply won't appear on BD unless Sony loosen their monopoly grip (in terms of both high cost and restricted availability) on the mastering facilities, and that isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future with no competition to drive prices down.

The BBC, for example, are producing childrens' programs (In the Night Garden) and Top Gear in HD and shows like those are big and consistent sellers in the DVD market (without all the hype and marketing required to shift you typically disposable Hollywood blockbusters), but the HD versions will stay in the archives if the BBC and others feel they are being gouged just to join the big blue bandwagon.

36. Dale Richards
    Thumb Down

DRM

Like a lot of people, Blu-ray's DRM scares me. At the moment, I can buy a DVD safe in the knowledge that I can play it forever. Even if DVD players go the way of VHS, I can copy the films onto my PC and transcode them into whatever format I want.

With Blu-ray's DRM, things are too uncertain. I have to spend a fortune on equipment and discs to get films that I might not even be able to watch in 10 years' time!

Until Blu-ray's DRM has been cracked as comprehensively as DVD's, I'll be staying well away.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not what it's cracked up to be.

I bought a Sony Blu-Ray player last week, it takes on average about a minute before the movie even starts playing, and is unweildy. Picture quality is questionable at best. Sure higher res, but you can sure spot the artifacts aswell!

The picture was so full of noise and artifacts that I simply couldn't bear to watch it, in the end I returned the unit. So much for my forray into Blu Ray, a complete thumbs down.

38. The BigYin

My 2p

1) I have yet to see any HD/BluRay movie show a better picture quality than my current, standard TV.

2) Sound is way, WAY more important than picture

3) Too bloody expensive (players and discs)

4) Too much DRM

5) Why waste money on BluRay when 3D is 'round the corner?

I'll probably buy an HD telly once my current one dies, but only because that'll be what I can get; not because HD is any better.

39. Toastan Buttar

Law of diminishing returns

Anyone can see that Blu-Ray looks crisper than DVD. The question is - how much does that increase in visual quality improve the experience of watching a movie ? After 5 minutes of a good film, you're involved with the plot and the characters and you ignore the minor details . I'm on the edge of my seat any time I watch 'Apollo 13', regardless of the medium (I currently only have it on VHS and don't feel the need to change any time soon).

40. Mark Greenwood

HD is better?

"Indeed, how many are watching SD but think they're watching HD because the TV is an HDTV?"

According to quick, unscientific, straw poll in my office, about 75% of them.

I had HDTV via Freesat for a day, as I got free installation with my HD TV (which I bought because my old one broke). After an hour or two I realised that being able to see the individual hairs on Bruce Forsyth's chin was not an improvement and certainly didn't merit having a carbuncle mounted on my garage. I took it down again.

The popularity of YouTube and downloads should have made it abundantly clear that the vast majority of the world give not one hoot for picture quality. What they want is stuff that's convenient and cheap. Blu-Ray is neither of these things. Even those people (myself included) who do regard it as important don't generally find HD pictures worth the effort.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

re: Not what it's cracked up to be.

Should have bought a proper Blu-Ray player then. PS3 boots about 10x quicker than standalones and usually looks better too.

As for this article, it's instant fail, as Blu-Ray sales prove that it's selling just fine...

I wonder where they did their poll, outside Microsoft's E3 booth?

42. P. Lee Silver badge
    Coat

it isn't just the pricing

lots of channels, lots of repeats, dvr, why bother buying anything?

Mines the 14" one with a single speaker. If the plot and dialogue are rubbish, there's no point making it bigger.

43. Mark 9
    Flame

re: DRM

Has the whole world turned into thieving pikeys?

What's with the stealing content and cracking stuff these days? Is it now some kind of right you have?

people like Dale Richards are purely to blame for the lack of quality programming, movies and music, as studios fail to invest due to rampant levels of piracy.

44. jason 7
    Unhappy

Its the studios fault.

I have to ask myself (well not really but bare with me here) do I really need the latest Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughan/Jack Black/Judd Apatow/Jennifer Aniston/Vin Diesel/Will Ferrell/insert any mediocre hollywood name here movie/remake in HD to enjoy it?

Not really.

Only 25% of the current Hollywood output even vaguely deserves the HD treatment. Otherwise £3 from HMV or £1 from the library of good ol' DVD will do thanks.

I cant think of too many movies made in the past 7-8 years that I'd really really need to have in HD right now. I can wait for LOTR etc. it's a vintage.

Had the studios gone back and released all their classic movies on HD first then we might have been tempted. Oh plus at say a maximum starting/release price of £15 rather than nearly twice that.

However, early releases on a new format always suffer from lack of mastering experience or corner cutting. Remember the original DVD release of Bladerunner? You have to watch out.

The other aspect is how many times to you watch that disk? Most of mine have only been watched once. Hence why I borrow more from the library. I'm not so bothered about having the physical media gathering dust anymore.

45. John70

Disc

Isnt it time we moved into solid state media than using things that spin around?

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Mark 9

Perhaps it was when big business started treating its **legitimate** customers like they were thieves with DRM? Punishing the people who were willing to pay for your content by putting absurd restrictions on what they can do with it when the pirates don't suffer any of them is not the way to make those people continue paying for your content. I would willingly pay for content if I wasn't being treated like an effing criminal for doing so. End result = I don't buy any content and I no longer watch it either which, oddly enough, hasn't led to me suffering any loss of quality of life at all as I simply do something interesting instead of slumping in front of a TV.

Personally, the thing I loathe most about HD-DVD and BD is not the formats, but the fact that the distributors are using them as an excuse for not reducing the absurd prices they ask for and the restrictions they impose for online content on the likes of iTunes.

47. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Open letter to SONY BD schmucks

I hereby solemnly swear that I will buy a BD player and whole loads of BD discs the moment they will be stripped off their DRMs, and the players of their "system renewability", region coding and "protected path" and when the Internet connector will be wrenched out of of the back of the unit and thrown into the bin.

Until then - bugger off, you silly bastards...

48. Fenton

TV and Player not the only costs

To me it's the whole HDMI crap that really upped the cost.

I have a nice home cinema setup complete with AV switching amp. I was an early plasma adopter and everything was connected via component (analog). I had to buy a new TV anyway as the old one suddenly went pop.

I already had Sky HD which worked well over component but got the blue-ray player thrown in free. But it did not have component outputs that work with upscaling or blue-ray disks.

So I had to buy a new av-amp. There are however some pros

1) Alot less cable clutter (wife approves)

2) HD-Audio really is a big step up in quality compared to compressed Dolby or DTS

3) Upscaling over HDMI on standard DVDs is a great improvement

4) SkyHD looks alot better over HDMI

5) Picture quality on 1080p is fantastic (just watch BBCs Planet Earth

Cons

1) Price of Blue-ray disks (although is getting better thanks Amazon)

2) Time to spin up. Grrrr

3) DRM big Grrrr

I am not however buying full price disks on current movies. What will however help Blu-ray sales is the release of titles like Star Wars, Lord of the rings, Aliens.

Yet to see how blue ray perfoms as a data medium. In my industry the humple DVD is just not big enough (10 DVDs required for a software install, like shuffling old 3.5" floppies)

Bandwidth in the UK is just not high enough for streaming of HD format and won't be for quite a while unless you are in a fibre cable area. When I watch a film it is a spur of the moment decision. I don't want to wait for a few hours whilst I down load a film that doesn't even have a 5.1 soundtrack.

49. Yorkshirepudding
    Stop

Bleh!

i look at it this way i wanted a ps3 origionally and i got a HD Disc player at the same time, bonus! im buying a mixed bag of DVD's and BluRays

if its a new superwhizzy film like say the dark knight ill buy it but ill still buy say the next series of family guy on dvd

to be fair i have mostly rented blu rays and that suits me fine

50. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021