back to article Brit Parliament online orifice overwhelmed by Brexit bashers

When will lawmakers ever learn? Whenever the electorate is given a choice, they are bound to do something silly. In this case, overloading the UK Parliament's petition site with signatures on a Brexit-stopping suggestion. The site began tottering at around 09:00 UTC as it buckled under the load of voters pledging their support …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Too Late.

IIRC joining the Eurozone has always been voluntary.

Not remotely so. Without an agreed opt-out like the UK and Denmark, euro membership is an obligatory part of EU membership. Sweden works very hard to avoid meeting the economic criteria that would oblige it to fulfil that requirement.

1. W.S.Gosset

> Without an agreed opt-out like the UK and Denmark, euro membership is an obligatory part of EU membership.

I agree except a slight wrinkle re the UK's current exception: it wasn't an agreed opt-out, it was a forced fail-out pre-Euro.

IIRC that obligatoriness only came into effect when the actual Euro did, and the UK lost its pre-Euro/ERM eligibility as a result of Soros realising the sheer wildness of the real-life disconnect and taking an opposite position with sufficiently deep pockets to ride out the anti moves of the UK to stay in.

The UK Treasurer took a lot of stick at the time for literally handing billions to Soros by the failed defence. A defence that was guaranteed to fail. He sucked it up at the time but went on the record a few years ago spitting the dummy, pointing out that he had NO discretion in the matter, that the money he poured into the guaranteed-to-fail "defence" was actually mandatory, required by EU law. His whole contribution was to sign the papers until they exceeded the ERM's requirements. And if he personally refused, all that would happen is that the signing requirement would proceed down a chain of failovers until finally every member of the government refused. At which point (assuming no one actually signed), mahoosive penalties applied.

IIRC nearly half the money went in the day before the crash-out.

Mandated by EU law.

1. W.S.Gosset

If you (the reader) object now to Soros' economic capability, and what he's choosing to do with it politically, consider that it was ~wholly created by the EU bureaucrats writing a law they intended only to trap EU members into the next stage, which resulted in the UK handing Soros a mahoosive subsidy/donation.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Doctor Syntax

"I can and would tell them that now were they to ask."

I can believe that. There would be no pride in offering up that you wanted the UK to take on that plague of a currency. Hopefully you would say something about hindsight and that sales pitches are one thing but facts must be kept in mind.

"I think the long term result of this is that we'll be back in, tails between legs and the Euro as a requirement."

For that to happen we would probably require a Corbyn government turning the country into Venezuela. It would be harder to take our working economy and currency to a level that the Euro looks attractive.

2. W.S.Gosset

The Euro is a disaster for most of the EU, by definition (as pointed out by any number of markets observers at the outset). Essentially eliminates the only timely government influence on the local economy (I'm speaking here in a nation sense). ie, Monetary Policy out the window. A great bonus for those economies on the upside of the register (really only Germany), seriously damaging for those on the downside (eg, Ireland, Italy).

Interestingly, the Euro agreement was when the EU bureaucrats were first really feeling their oats, and drafted it in such a way that there is NO exit provision, same as how they insisted the Theresa May brexit "deal" be drafted (it was already bathetic even without that, mind you).

If you've ever wondered WHY ON EARTH the ECB etc has fought/subsidised so desperately to "save" Greece, this is why. The (actually necessary for recovery) Grexit would necessarily exit hte Euro, at which point the actual illegality of actual physical/real-world reality/necessity would start to force into public awareness even for The Believers/Trusters that what they'd been told was going on, actually wasn't, that quite another agenda by a surprisingly large group of parasites was under the table, rather than what was on the table.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

5,000,070 signatures

at 14:17 Sun 24 March 19

(at a rate of over 400 per minute this morning)

1. Steve Knox

Re: 5,000,070 signatures

...and 5,217,484 six hours later.

That's an average rate of 6,039 per minute over those six hours. If that rate keeps up (doubtful, but if...) then Leadsom will have her 17.4 million respondents in a day and a half.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: That's an average rate of....

You must have gone to the same school I did. I use a calculator these days. Ok MS Calc, so YMMV (Your millions may vary).

5000070-

=======

217414 difference over 6 hours

/6

======

36235 per hour

/60

======

603.9 per minute

Still a very respectable rate, which includes the small hours when people should be sleeping rather than worrying about Brexit.

2. Rudolph Hucker the Third

"EU referendum petition hijacked by bots" says the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640459

That petition is so good some people have voted many times.

"I voted 33,000 times. Left a script running while I was taking a shower," wrote one member.

Don't forget, vote early and vote often.

3. codejunky Silver badge

Good news!

While I understand that some remainers are getting so fearful of brexit that there is a big wet patch in the crotch area there is good news! You might fear the chicken and miss the warm fuzzy feelings of being an EU citizen but at least you will be able to afford a change of clothes-

https://www.continentaltelegraph.com/brexit/benefits-of-brexit-no-deal-no-tariffs-means-cheaper-prices-on-the-high-street/

I am also wondering if there will be a massive growth in mental health services and training of 'therapy dogs'.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Good news!

Yeah. Also, reported over here in Oz, is that all the agricultural etc exporters looking forward to a big boom from Brexit as they replace the EU at a discount, won't have quite such a bonus as they were hoping for.

The UK has adjusted its NoDeal tariffs with at least the Commonwealth (all WTO? can't remember) to balance Cheap Food! vs Protect the Domestic Farmers/etc. So they've dropped tariffs quite sharply vs the EU on things like Beef and Chicken (all poultry). By 40-50%.

But not by 100%.

So there'll be a big inrush of nonEU food post brexit, and at a substantial discount to EU food. And all via already-existing WTO/hard-border channels so no change in bureaucratic/border delays.

But you guys, plus our guys, won't get a YOOJ benefit. Just a good one.

BAD NEWS! Your lamb will be the same price. No change in sheep tariffs.

BUY LAMB CHOPS NOW BEFORE THE EUPOCALYPSE!!!!

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Dog stops the May's outside church today...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/D4AC/production/_106244445_theresamaycollie.jpg

...to enquire where his dinner was.

Philip told him to pop along to Parliament tomorrow where it will be served.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47765706

5. Rudolph Hucker the Third

Kent House, a digital marketing agency, has just confessed to a terrible data crime:

"The petition to revoke Article 50 has received millions of signatures. It looked pretty obvious to us that it was being gamed by bots to make false political capital, thereby seriously devaluing the UK Government’s platform for digital democracy. So we tested it for ourselves. In a single weekend, using just one spare server and with a budget of £22, we were able to make 72,000 confirmed robotic entries. Imagine if we’d put any real effort and resources into it! "

https://www.kent.house/uk-petition-article-50-hijacked-by-bots/

I'm shocked that they only managed to get 72,000 confirmed robotic entries. One can only imagine what could be achieved with a proper Remainer-sized budget?

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Rudolph Hucker the Third

Apparently there are a few interesting signatories-

https://www.continentaltelegraph.com/brexit/remain-petitions-6-million-signers-include-nigel-farage-a-hitler-cbe-and-idi-amin-700-times/

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like