back to article Iran most likely to launch destructive cyber-attack against US – ex-Air Force intel analyst

China remains the biggest cyber threat to the US government, America's critical infrastructure, and its private-sector networks, the nation's intelligence community has assessed. This is probably not all that shocking to anyone paying attention to recent headlines warning of Beijing's cyber-snoops burrowing into energy …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

George Santayana (again) To The Rescue!!!!

Quote: "Iran most likely to launch destructive cyber-attack"

Anyone remember who launched Stuxnet?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iran most likely to launch destructive cyber-attack against US

Ok got that, the US is going to engage in a preemptive defensive peace-keeping exercise against either one of China or Iran.

Seriously, without even looking, I knew who wrote that. With all due respect, could the editors have this neo-stuff posted on a more suitable forum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Iran most likely to launch destructive cyber-attack against US

What do you mean? You thought you were reading "China Daily" or "Press TV"?

Come back with a more rational attitude when some ramsomware has taken down your usual hospital's IT.

3. vtcodger Silver badge

A modest proposal

Based on the difficulty being experienced in confidentially ascribe various malware to specific specific malign entities, I expect that the source of any cyberattack on US and/or UK infrastructure will be disguised. Not that hard to do I think. Even if we figure out the attack isn't really coming from Uzbekistan, Burundi, and/or East Timor, how will we know who really launched it? Going to be hard to retaliate if we don't know who to beat up. Not to mention that Iran, China, Russia likely won't have all that much trouble figuring out who to retaliate against if the US/UK attacks them based on a bad guess as to who fired off the initial attack.

Might be a good idea to identify critical infrastructure and get it the heck off the internet until such time as a real, serious, effective security scheme replaces the current collection of security theatre, half baked concepts, and rampant fantasy. Anybody around here expect actual internet security to happen any time soon?

4. Bogusz

Why TF don't we cut off our Internet from these MF-countries? Excuse my language but one feels so powerless nowadays.

1. MonkeyJuice

Because Ethernet adapters, bridging, and travel are a thing.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Hmmm?

Do you wonder why Crystal Morin, former intelligence analyst for the US Air Force, is no longer employed as an intelligence analyst for the US Air Force?

1. Zolko Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Hmmm?

No I don't. With declarations like these :

A destructive cyber-attack against the United States would come from Iran before someone else

How would he know ? This is pure intellectual terrorism, in the sense that they want to terrorise the population into submission for another of their needless wars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like