back to article Cause for a LLaMA? Meta reckons its smaller text-emitting AI is better than rivals

Meta released its Large Language Model Meta AI, torturously dubbed LLaMA, which promises to perform just as well if not better than similar systems containing billions of more parameters. Large language models are all the rage right now. Microsoft and Google, to name two, are competing to build the best models to boost their …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Well done!

The only way now to talk to someone and *know* you are talking to them and not someone else (or some collection of statistical subroutines) is to do it in person, face to face.

Hmm. I wonder if that's why my employer now wants daily standup meetings with the video turned on? And that's why all the managers want back-to-the-office working?

1. ChoHag Silver badge

Re: Well done!

That's not so much about proving that you're a real human but ensuring you can't share your time with anyone else.

It shows up the manglers when it turns out you can do 3 jobs at once and they don't even notice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Well done!

This. Occupying your time exclusively is a dumb persons way of calculating value for money. In the same way that filtering CVs for academic qualifications earned decades ago is a dumb way of calculating competence.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cause for a LLaMA

Don't tell Keith.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Re: Cause for a LLaMA

Dunno about Keith, but keep away from llamas unless Jeff Minter is involved!

PS Llamas are larger than frogs.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Cause for a LLaMA

When you see this model in use, you shout: ¡Peligro! ¡Hay LLaMas!

[Gracias a John Cleese.]

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Hmmm? Singularity or Sentience? Virtual Machinery Awake and Enabling?

So now we have AI solutions/answers/opinions/deliberations feared and to be accused of delivering further problems and enigmatic difficulties for the status quo to bilk and monetise/capitalise with penalties ...... just like humans have been doing to each other since forever. And that’s a problem which you don’t have a history and methodology for its defeat or effectively dealing with it.

WTF have you been doing for centuries? Sleeping?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next up: the Russian version

.. Svetllama ..

:)

5. Filippo Silver badge

>[...] voice-based authentication [...]

Why? Dear god, why? What is such a decision based on? A sci-fi flick you saw as a kid?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

But but but biometrics are cool, dude!

(When have biometrics ever not been a terrible choice for authenticator? But we had to do something about passwords, and this was something. And I'll note that I keep seeing security experts, such as some of the editors of SANS NewsBites, promoting biometric-based authentication to unlock FIDO passkey systems, again because of this obsession with replacing passwords with anything else – to hell with the failure modes of the new system.)

1. Filippo Silver badge

>When have biometrics ever not been a terrible choice for authenticator?

They are a password that you leave everywhere you go, and cannot ever change. I cannot fathom the mind that would think that to be a good idea.

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Waste of energy/Global warming?

Amy Hood, however, said the cost is worth it since Bing attracts users and advertising revenue. "

It's alright, Bill Gates is investing in alternative energy research.

When I was a nipper, had to get on my bike and cycle to the library to go look up an encyclopedia

7. ecofeco Silver badge

I never get tired of the clever headlines!

That said, all of the public AI stuff is utter bollocks.

"Our crap is better than their crap!", is not something I'm going to get excited over.

Re: I never get tired of the clever headlines!

Well, at least a 64M-parameter crap LLM is less of a resource hog than a 540M-parameter one, to train and run.

I know. Not much of a silver lining.

This is Yann Lecun, so there's likely some interesting primary research behind Meta's much-smaller model's performance. I just wish that research were being applied for something actually useful.

8. Howard Sway Silver badge

reckons its smaller text-emitting AI is better

I heard that Apple's CEO was trying to allow this to be integrated with Microsoft's browser on MacOS to compete with Bing.

Meta Galactic LLaMAs Battle at the Edge of Tim.

(if you don't understand this tortuously constructed gag explanation here)

Re: reckons its smaller text-emitting AI is better

Torturously-constructed gags are the best kind of gags.

9. DS999 Silver badge

Was there ANYONE

Who believed that voice authentication over the phone was secure even on the day it was introduced? I'm sure it is and always has been less secure than either fingerprint or facial identification on smartphones, and the potential weaknesses there have been discussed at length in these forums over the years.

Banks using voiceprint auth will be forced to give it up for something more secure, just like they will (eventually, someday...right??) be forced to give up SMS 2FA which unfortunately my two main banks still use - I get hit with it every time I login after I've restarted my browser (every few weeks) since I have it set to forget all its cookies. At least my brokerage skipped SMS 2FA and went directly to app/hardware key based 2FA and as that's where I have most of my money that's what I need to be the most secure!

10. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge
    Coat

Does this mean...

Meta's bit barns will now be known as Llama Farms?

And the people who work in them will be called Llama Farmers?

And the health and safety policy will be "do not harma llama farmer - it's bad Karma"?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Does this mean...

Go back about 200 years and we saw white people making a lot of money from black people who were their slaves. Nowadays we see companies like Meta, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc etc etc making money from their "users" but these days users are essentially just slaves with everything they do stolen from them. So we say that slavery has been abolished but the reality is that it's just been "updated" so that now it's not limited to your skin colour, it just applies to everyone who thinks that social media is not slavery,

So slavery no longer exists, and neither does your data privacy - is this a better world because the environment has not changed?

11. s. pam Silver badge
    Flame

No way in Hell...

In no way, shape or form would I trust the Meta Borg to do anything remotely intelligent! They live in an Artificial Inexact world devoid of intelligence!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like