back to article UK Cyber Security Centre's scary new story: One phish, two phish, Russia phish, Iran phish

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) has warned of two similar spear-phishing campaigns, one originating from Russia, the other from Iran. The NCSC has attributed the campaigns to a Russia-based group called SEABORGIUM and the Iran-based TA453 group, also known as APT42. The threat groups target individuals working …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

LinkedIn

Now there’s ya problem!

1. JimboSmith Silver badge
      Flame

Re: LinkedIn

Just before Lockdown, my company asked if I would like to sign up to LinkedIn and I said no thanks. I said that it looked like a great resource for Phishing information and the less information there is in cyberspace there is about me the better. Rather than adding fuel to the fire of my seething resentment, they dropped the matter after that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You sir, made the correct decision.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The day that MS bought LinkedIn, was the day that I deleted my account. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I hadn't even logged in for close on a decade and I was apparently working at a company that went TITSUP in 2008.

For a few years after that day, I was still receiving job offers based upon my long deleted LinkedIn profile.. That shows where they (before and after the MS purchase) put security on their list of priorities.... at the bottom.

I have to ask... who in their right mind uses LinkedIn these days? (asking for a friend)

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Keep it stupendously simple is the easiest present course for future action

If they want to know so desperately about what one may be doing, what is wrong with them employing and paying prime targets handsome fees for the mutually beneficial advantageous exchange of gifts for intel/intel for gifts.

Seek and ye shall find, ask and it can easily be given. It aint rocket science, is it, relatively free international trading. The flip side to that is quite rightly so too, if one has nothing good to sell, there will be nothing worthwhile to buy.

In possession of something great to buy though has one creating and cornering a sellers' market enabling one to be able to be worth an absolute fortune, and in any greater than ever before situation, an absolute fortune many times over.

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge

M.I.5.

I once received an e-mail on my work account asking me if I was interested in applying for a job at M.I.5. (officially the UK's Security Service). But I have enough nightmares and paranoia as it is without people having a reason to for trying to kill me, so I didn't reply. I did send it to the IT security team who found that the link in the e-mail went to a very suspicious address...

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: M.I.5

I once received an e-mail on my work account asking me if I was interested in applying for a job at M.I.5. (officially the UK's Security Service). But I have enough nightmares and paranoia as it is without people having a reason to for trying to kill me, so I didn't reply. .... Eclectic Man

Warranting and receiving an email from M.I.5 interested in you applying for a job with them surely has you already tagged as doing something, no matter whether just for the pleasuring of oneself or for the rewarding treasure and glitzy baubles generously and gratefully supplied by engaging others, giving them a suspicious and specious reason which may have them trying to kill you, Eclectic Man.

Replying to them and asking them forthrightly what they were interested in you doing for them rather than doing to them would be a perfectly clear full transparency opener in what are invariably, by the very nature of the fields in which all such Earthly agents are employed/deployed/embedded, deeply murky and stealthily dark and, if not uniquely, then exclusively mysterious and overwhelmingly advantageous for an almighty leading operational mission ..... such as AI Derivates and Futures Programs and Surreal Autonomous Projects ‽ .

Such novel jobs/advancements/programs/projects though, and particularly those fully versed and totally immersed in the AI sector, are not without their mind-bending worries for humans to cogitate upon and deny are maddening and not crazy inducing, for such is clearly enough admitted to be the case elsewhere, and not only here, and where one might reasonably expect they know what they are talking about.

Here be some evidence in defence and support of that proposition .......

“And for autonomous weapons systems that incorporate artificial intelligence… the directive now specifies that they, like any system that uses artificial intelligence, whether a weapon system or not, would need to follow those guidelines as well,” Horowitz said, referring to DoD’s responsible and ethical AI initiatives. “So, you know, part of the motivation here was to ensure the inclusion of those AI policies, as part of this directive, even though the directive itself is about autonomous weapon systems, which are certainly not synonymous with artificial intelligence.” ...... DoD’s update to autonomous weapons policy accounts for AI’s ‘dramatic’ future role

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Coat

Re: M.I.5.

For a start an email invite to a secret service smacks of cheapness. Even if genuine, which seems unlikely, if they can't afford to speak to you in person with a shaken Martini on expenses then its simply not worth bothering about.

My coat please, thank it is the one with the built-in devices =>

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

TEMPESTuous Skunk Works .... are Most Definitely Not for the Fainthearted and/or Lily-Livered

For a start an email invite to a secret service smacks of cheapness. Even if genuine, which seems unlikely, if they can't afford to speak to you in person with a shaken Martini on expenses then its simply not worth bothering about. .... Paul Crawford

Conversely, Paul Crawford, in a state with a dire government enmeshed in an entrapping austerity, such cheapness may be the best that their stealth can provide and if genuine, something any person of Security and Secret Intelligence Service interest because of their interests and abilities/facilities and utilities enabling the ready, willing and able to live the high life accepting shaken Martinis and bottomless expenses as default liabilities, which one would have to admit is surely no great hardship, would be well worth their bothering you about. Such is opportunity a'knock knocking.

Do much stranger things happen only in the movies or are movies made of such strange things? :-)

Ps. .... Psst! One has to remember to not forget, MI5/MI6 are old school and all of this weird and wonderful virtual stuff is as so much unfathomable nonsense to them and thus will they be prone to flounder and slowly experiment around the edges with that which they think they can micro/macro manage, and what's any simpler and exciting than the ubiquitous and attractively tempting email.

4. FlamingDeath Silver badge

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like