back to article Europe to have 2 of the 4 most powerful supercomputers as Leonardo comes online

Europe's Leonardo pre-exascale system is set for its official inauguration this week following its confirmation as the fourth most powerful supercomputer on the Top500 list at the recent SC22 conference. Leonardo is the second of the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking's pre-exascale supercomputers to enter into service following the …

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    IT Angle

Leonardo DiCaprio?

Maybe someone should some day write us an article on how you program these computers. Is it that you see 14,000 CPUs when you open Windows Task Manager and 2.8 petabytes of RAM (89% used by the system until you can prune the startup services somewhat). I suppose it would work as a Wolfenstein cluster but I'll be darrned if I know how that works.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio?

Assuming you're not joking...

You could start off with this MPI tutorial and then move onto learning how to programme chip vector units and / or GPUs...

2. HPCJohn

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio?

HPC clusters like this normally run a version of Linux. However int he days of the SGI Ultraviolet NUMA systems, Eng Lim Go of SGI had a demo where he booted a huge UV system into Windows and opened Excel.

You can probably find this demo online.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Great Game Moves On and Takes On Quantum Communication Spheres of Influence and Effluence ‽ . *

That's quite an impressive network, if you consider that in 2018 we had nothing," the official said, claiming that "Europe is now a computing superpower." ®

Indeed. Pretty AWEsome I'd say and quite believable too if you cannot also disbelieve this crazy type of incredible conspiratorial news ..... Do These Documents Prove That Call Of Duty Is A Government PsyOp? ...... which the Main Stream Media also does not bother itself to cover and present for fear of any fake labels given by them being proven and increasingly realised as designedly false and decidedly misrepresentative .

* Be hereby advised and adequately forewarned, do not step into such as be Sublime and Surreal and Supreme Leading Arenas of Play unless suitably fail-safe forearmed to never ever lose with daring win wins.

And here be a trio of sentences, which you can easily waste acres of breath and tonnes of brain power dismissing as nonsensical, that are a real blast from the past resonating louder and more powerfully today than ever they did before and at their first utterances, and thus most wisely to be considered worthy of note and comprehension.

1) A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

2) You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.

3) The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

3. Dacarlo
    Joke

The only real question...

...can it play doom?

1. Updraft102

Re: The only real question...

Aw, ya beat me. Only I was gonna say "Crysis."

4. JohnMurray

UK..

..government allocates £3 million to buy-up 1000 second-userAcorn Atoms to rival the EU super computer

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: UK..

You forgot the £10B/year contract to Crapita for IT support.

2. HPCJohn

Re: UK..

You joke, but the second fastest supercomputer in the Top500, Fugaku, uses ARM CPUs

5. Bubba Von Braun
    Joke

You need it to play Microsoft Flight Simulator

Head of Microsoft Flight Sim - Jorge Neuman announced in a recent developer Q&A that their French development partner ASOBO is creating a release for the Jupiter super computer, this is expected to be the latest entry level spec for MSFS 2025.

BvB

6. R Soul Silver badge

a bizarre combination

Atos and supercomputer? Those are two words I'd never expect to see in the same sentence.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: a bizarre combination

They bought Bull, formerly Europe's only supercomputer manufacturer (ie more than just an integrator).

7. trevorde Silver badge

Post Brexit Super Computer

Two steam powered Babbage Analytical Engines connected to each other via pulleys

1. Korev Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Post Brexit Super Computer

Using those new-fangled wheel things? Crazy stuff...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like