back to article Google Cloud closes $5.4b Mandiant acquisition

Google closed its $5.4 billion Mandiant acquisition today in a move that brings the threat intel and incident response giant under the Google Cloud umbrella.  The two companies first announced the deal – one of Google's largest purchases – in March after a rumored Microsoft buy fell through. Six months and one shareholder …

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Meaningless Execu-Speak

"More specifically, we can leverage our intelligence differentiator to automate security operations and validate security effectiveness," Mandia said.

This sounds like a crooked auto mechanic telling some car-tech-ignorant customer that the repair bill will be stiff, because the mechanic "had to re-primer the Caulkson rods, but thank God I caught it before the ovulators burned out!"

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Meaningless Execu-Speak

And to hide they just buy companies now to kill competition.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Meaningless Execu-Speak

Yeah, I need a new buzzword BS meter. This one has the needle wrapped around the far peg.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

One ring of clouds to <s>rule</s> try and rule them all ?

I wonder what GCHQ think, if they’re into pioneering future universal leadership, of that Goliath competition/leading narrative opposition?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

we can leverage our intelligence differentiator to automate

come again?

1. ChoHag Bronze badge

Re: we can leverage our intelligence differentiator to automate

"We bought a thing, and now we can use it"

But that sounds a lot less impressive, and might make people question the price if it's a thing that they understand.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

"We bought a thing, and now we can use it"

But that sounds a lot less impressive, and might make people question the price if it's a thing that they understand. ...... ChoHag

00ps, do we have another Hewlett Packard/Autonomy pantomime in the making? The actors may be different and of another speciality but the genesis of the script is too similar to be discounted and dismissed as errant nonsense, surely ‽ .

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It means that they have lots of spare capacity (as tumbleweed rolls across Google's public cloud that almost no one uses).

4. low_resolution_foxxes Silver badge

Hmm

"Your overall security hygiene dramatically improves if most of your workloads are on a cloud,"

To me this reads: there is no hacking required if there is no private data and we can access it at any time?

I mean, I'm under no illusion the IT server in our IT department is 100% bulletproof, but I can least push the power switch (at great risk to my personal safety).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022