back to article Belgium says Chinese cyber gangs attacked its government and military

The government of Belgium has claimed it detected three Chinese Advanced Persistent Threat actors attacking its public service and defence forces. A government statement names Advanced Persistent Threat 27, 30, and 31 – aka UNSC 2814, GALLIUM, and SOFTCELL – as the groups responsible for the attacks. The statement doesn't …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Change the Record to Lead a New Craze and Pioneer Universal Movement = AIMomentum = To Boldly Go

Here is Belgium’s/NATO’s/The Wild Wacky West’s problem whenever led by donkeys masquerading as lions and fronted by atrocious bare-faced liars pontificating and prevaricating in the public office spaces such as be provided to and represented by the likes of Palaces of Westminster and White Houses ......The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Or is the problem denied as existing and therefore not directly responsible for the steady streams and dark clouds of doom and gloom being floated in and blamed as coming from the Middling Kingdoms of the Exotic Near and Erotic Far East? .......that Wannabe Great Phantom Enemy Territory the West exhibits and practises its Artless War Experiments in. AWEsome nor AWEsome IT it aint. It’s a Colossal Mined RAT Trap for the Capture and Slaughter of Stealing Honey Bears and Rigging and Raging Market Bulls........ Olde World Disorder Spivs and Pimps to the Hopelessly Helpful Thrall of Pump and Dump Carpetbaggers aka Ne’er-Do-Well Charlatans and Snake Oil Sales Personnel ..... Phantom Phony Market 0day Traders.

And you might like to ponder and wonder a while on the result of that last double negative which could just as easily and accurately have been written ...... Phantom Phony 0Day Market Traders ..... which is a whole new other world of novel pain and great experience to implore and explore/excel in and prosper or struggle in and perish/sink or swim in.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yeah well, it's China

China has form in saying one thing and doing something else entirely.

Which can be said for a lot of countries these days.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The genie is out of the bottle and it is only going to get bigger and bigger.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

And the genies name

Is dumbf**kery

Sincerity is lost, bludgeoned to death

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

Think positive

At last this time Belgium isn't attacked by an Allied country .

Cyberwars are raging, and I don't see how the situation could improve in a near future, on the contrary...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Germans, pot kettle black.

"In January 2021 German authorities claimed that APT27 had been spotted targeting local companies."

Just a reminder, that this company exists: Code White, "Finest Hacking"

https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/12/npm-attacks-code-white-jfrog/

They're hackers (its in their logo, "Finest Hacking")

They work for the German government (their job offer stipulated "security clearance").

They're were created in Stuttgart, home of Süddeutsche Zeitung, the newspaper that receives all those leaks, include EU ones like Spain, and Switzerland.

And this company were caught deploying a "backdoored NPM JavaScript packages" in a public repository, which they stated was accidental and was used as part of a "continuous attack simulations for clients."..... a backdoor installed from a repository is not a continuous attack.

And from the original Jfrog post:

"Over the past three weeks, our automated scanners have detected several malicious packages in the npm registry, all using the same payload. Compared with most malware found in the npm repository, this payload seems particularly dangerous: a highly-sophisticated, obfuscated piece of malware that acts as a backdoor and allows the attacker to take total control over the infected machine. Furthermore, this malware seems to be an in-house development, and not based on publicly-available tools."

So an inhouse sophisticated backdoor and remote control....

So, I think I found German state sponsored hackers behind the various financial hacks, like the "Pandora Papers", "Paradise Papers" etc.

And it seems odd too, that there is bugger all investigation into what is clearly a major hack. As if people in the know are fully aware of who was behind it.

OK, so you were saying something about "UN created cyber norms that were agreed in 2015. But China – and plenty of other nations – employs entities that aren't directly connected to the state when conducing some online ops. Such entities fool nobody, but are nearly always denied and decried by their host nations."

Do they really fool nobody? Because I seemed to be the only person that bothered to look at Code Whites recruitment listing and noticed the "be prepaped for security clearance" requirement.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Germans, pot kettle black.

Any company that offers "hacking" services (i.e. plain old Infosec - pentests, etc,) is likely to need employees who have clearance if their clients are government, or have any ties to government.

The requirement for Security Clearance does not automatically imply "spy stuff".

6. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Title is completely accurate...

"China, as usual, says it just wants a peaceful and prosperous internet"

China is absolutely telling the truth. It wants a peaceful internet (where nobody retaliates against it) and it wants to get prosperous (by using the Internet to steal everyone else's data).

See as perfectly true a statement as the CCP has ever produced...

7. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Attribution

Title

I do have to question, unfortunately in “todays world”, everyones ability to discern and show honesty & sincerity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

open and inclusive

"Inclusive", did he really use this word ??? WTF, Xi !

9. ThatOne Silver badge
    Joke

Bad omen

Oh my, World Wars usually start with Belgium being attacked...

10. Mahhn

Belgium peaking with caution

Because if Xi gets offended, he will replace the government of the Chinese province called Belgium.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why am I supposed to care about China (allegedly) attacking Belgium...

What am I missing here:

- NSA attacks Iran (2010) -- no one gave a s**t!

- GCHQ attacks Belgium (2016) -- no one cares

- China attacks Belgium (2022) -- no one cares

But then again, it's hard to understand why "no on cares":

- NSA tracks metadata on ALL US telephone traffic (2000 to today)

- NSA uses embedded "backdoors" in ALL Cisco equipment (i.e. can snoop on all of the internet)

- Unknown government entities use NSO sofware to track smartphones around the world

- ClearviewAI scrapes billions of images (from FB) and sells them to the police around the world

- DeepMind (aka Google) slurps 1.6 million personal medical records from the Royal Free Hospital

Please explain.....Why am I supposed to care about China (allegedly) attacking Belgium...

.....when the NSA and GCHQ are slurping the private data of citizens (taxpayers) who have absolutely no control over their own privacy....and no say at all in the STASI funded by their own money!!

1. Cav Bronze badge

Re: Why am I supposed to care about China (allegedly) attacking Belgium...

"NSA attacks Iran (2010) -- no one gave a s**t!"

Because Iran is developing nuclear weapons to destroy Israel? Any country that has stated their intent to destroy another country that is no direct threat to themselves, deserves attack.

12. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

An Endless and Limitless Store of Vast NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT .....

..... for Advanced IntelAIgent ProgramMING Application.

If you can think of something you have which NSA and GCHQ type bods would be almightily pleased to have shared with them, who/what do you think then would be in control of commanding information, AC? You or them? [whoever they be]

And making sure prime premium targets for enhanced surveillance have all necessary feeds for all possible needs, either specifically requested or generously unilaterally granted in free mutually beneficial exchange in recognition of the provision of private personal and pirate communal access to extremely sensitive and deadly dangerous failsafe secured top secrets, is one sure-fire common default way to enjoy a steady positive flow of further incoming bounty ...... novel commanding control from/for/with Another IntelAIgent Source, ITs EMPowering Drivering Force ...... Imaginative Creative Energy.

That's been working extremely well for quite a long time now, that simple methodology. And it is so very easy to try to see if it still works equally well with regard to future requirements for remotely uncovered [slurped] attractive foreign activity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like