back to article Pyramid Analytics receives $120m in VC funding for 'decision intelligence'

Pyramid Analytics, the BI company which counts Siemens, VW Ireland and Dell among its customers, has secured Series E funding of $120 million. Founded in 2009, the company has now secured venture capital totalling $200 million, with the latest round led by H.I.G. Growth Partners, with the participation of Clal Insurance …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

But is it all really a pyramid scheme?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Sure sounds like one.

2. vogon00

'decision intelligence' - Really?

I dare say they know what they are doing - I can't judge them - but I have a nasty suspicion that 'decision intelligence' will end up being 'decision stupidity' unless there is plenty of oversight. Applying AI to Analytics (Or the other way round, it's commutative, I guess) is only going to lower the quality of decisions, not enhance it.

There's enough 'Computer says no' about already without dumbing ourselves down any more...also, if it's a dodgey decision, who's liable? The first-party user of the decision, the second-party generator of the decision, or ultimately programmer/modeller to write/trained things in the first place (Good luck proving the latter!)?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: 'decision intelligence' - Really?

This quandary already exists and smart lawyers are already fighting against it.

See "lawyers fight against unfair AI decisions"

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Too stupid to run a business?

Any one who uses this system has just admitted they are too stupid to actually run a business.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Too stupid to run a business? @ecofeco

Some SMARTR Business Machinery always run better without stupid human input processing output, ecofeco, and of course, IT would say that, wouldn’t they.

And by all accounts, according to media both mainstream captive and biased and alternative free and dissenting, have you no inkling of the monumental events and titanic changes that are going to fundamentally alter the nature of your future existence, courtesy of SMARTR Virtual AIMachines.

One tries not conclude that there be so many too stupid to realise and see what is planned and presented before them for them.... but they are remarkably good at proving it difficult to realistically deny.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Too stupid to run a business? @ecofeco

And with particular and peculiar specific regard to possible probable client customers/future secret secure source base, one would have to consider the following one of the firm favourites you will rarely discover too much about ......

Almost two years after it was stood up, the Special Operations Forces Digital Applications program office is barreling past the infamous Defense Department bureacracy to attract nontraditional vendors. ...... Special Ops Software Office Takes on Pentagon Bureaucracy

4. beekir

I've used Pyramid Analytics in a professional setting and I have to say I like it quite a bit. They are an underdog but their tech is pretty user friendly and performant when paired with SSIS. From my experience, non-SSIS data sources perform like garbage, but when you pair the two together it's really great.

The whole "decision intelligence" isn't that far out of reach.. Drag n drop machine learning has been at the core of their product for years now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like