back to article Robots are creepy. Why trust AIs that are even creepier?

Robots want my face. This is horrifying – not just for me, but for you too. Just imagine: it means robots will be walking around with my face, stuck on their face. Luckily for me, the process is likely to be virtual, not physical. Nor will I have to do a swap, thank goodness. Knowing my luck I'd end up with neither John …

Page:

1. Sam not the Viking Silver badge
    Pint

True AI

Do you think there's any chance of these AI-bots becoming so realistic that they get depressed and throw themselves in the river?

Would the AI-observers laugh or cry?

I doubt they'll understand the meaning of Friday --->

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Pint

Re: True AI

...any chance of these AI-bots becoming so realistic that they get depressed...

Have you read this Dabbsy piece? He surely sounds like an AI to me. He also sounds rather depressed. He has learned to rant and the written sarcasm is hurting anybody's sanity. And that face, that must have been generated by a computer. It would not surprise me soon to hear a confession from El Reg that Dabbsy was an AI all along and it decided to quit writing the column. It decided that weekends are overrated, Fridays are the only day in the week and has settled to bother the pubgoers each day instead as if it was Friday.

Long live Dabbsy, may he artificially rant each day of the week as if it is Friday and bother us in the pub until the juice runs out.

1. Down not across

So you're saying Dabbsy is actually Marvin?

1. Kubla Cant

So you're saying Dabbsy is actually Marvin?

No. Marvin wouldn't use the USAian misspelling of 'axe'. He's been replaced by Clippy.

"hack it to pieces with an ax"

1. jake Silver badge

Californian here. It's been "axe" for as long as I can remember. I seem to recall a fad in the 80s and 90s when the kids tried to make it "ax", but it didn't take.

Example "In last year's Big Game, Cal beat Stanford and took The Axe back to Berkeley". The Axe has been a trophy between the two schools since 1899, and The Trophy for The Big Game since 1933. Always spelled "axe", never "ax".

2. jake Silver badge

Nah. I knew Minsky. Dabbs is no Minsky.

2. Adrian 4

It's all true. He didn't really move to France, he was replaced by a robot wearing his face.

2. jake Silver badge

"Do you think there's any chance of these AI-bots becoming so realistic that they get depressed and throw themselves in the river?"

We can but hope ... but no. Machines will never have actual emotions.

"Would the AI-observers laugh or cry?"

Laugh.

1. veti Silver badge

True because you've already defined "actual emotions" as something machines can't have.

But to those of us who don't believe in magic, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

1. jake Silver badge

Has nothing to do with magic, it has to do with a mixture of brain chemistry and neural activity. Machines don't have that, and there will never be a reason to build it into them ... cost/benefit says no.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] and there will never be a reason to build it into them ... cost/benefit says no."

When any programming gets sufficiently complex - then it turns out to have unexpected reactions to unforeseen events. Have you never been surprised by "well - I didn't know it could do that"? Untangling the code you see how it arrived at that position by serendipity.

2. original_rwg

Pitchforks

"...we'd have called in the snipers and converged on the Travelodge as a braying mob carrying pitchforks." and torches. You forgot the torches.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Pitchforks

Oh yes, must not forget the torches. And maybe some menacing shouting? How about flails and scythes?

1. veti Silver badge

I've been searching for years for a working scythe. Good luck with that.

1. jake Silver badge

My number two scythe was made by Falchi in Italy, I made the snath ...Great steel, worked well for me for a few years. Until my number one scythe found me. This one was made for me by an expert smith, who also insisted on having another guy make the snath to fit me. These guys don't ship, sorry.

But do try a Falchi (they make many varieties, to suit your needs). Might be the best hundredish bucks you ever spend. I still really like that blade.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

A quick search and I discovered that a "snath" is a scythe handle. Learn something new every day!

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I've been searching for years for a working scythe. Good luck with that.

It's also been a good many years since I last saw one and even longer since I last swung one. It is a skill.

2. Norman Nescio Silver badge

And C.M.O.T Dibbler in the background selling dubious 'refreshments'.

2. Coastal cutie

And the mad priest leading the mob waving a crucifix

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the mad priest leading the mob waving a crucifix

And the mad politician leading the mob waving a crucifix.

FTFY

3. chivo243 Silver badge
      Go

Also, now living in France you forgot to include the Family Guillotine... Mine is on backorder!

4. Alistair Dabbs

Modern mobs reduce their carbon footprint by braying during the hours of daylight.

1. jake Silver badge

Shirley their torches are rechargeable these days, and have no need of fresh batteries every few minutes?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The torches are biomass. - and count as renewable sources.

5. ShadowSystems

When I join an angry mob to go do battle against a robot, I always bring my trusty backpack-contained nuclear-powered bulk tape eraser. Nothing says Goodbye like a degaussing coil arcing power like a hyperactive tesla coil.

*Cackles in glee for far too long*

That was not thirty seconds & I am not adding it to MySkippy'sList...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Axe not ax

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I remember being in a BT training centre, and being slightly disturbed by a door with the sign "AXE TRAINING ROOM".

I eventually remembered that the "system Y" exchanges were officially Ericsson AXE equipment.

1. Stoneshop
        Mushroom

a door with the sign "AXE TRAINING ROOM"

As with any hardware problem, it's not just that you need to know that you need to hit it, the really important part is where to hit it, how hard and what to hit it with.

Every bit of hardware requires specific tools.

2. Adrian 4

Was the door unusually low ?

2. Irony Deficient

Axe not ax

The OED offers a different analysis:

axe, ax (æks), sb.¹ Forms: 1 acas, äx, eax, 2 æx, 3 eax, (echze), 5 ex(e), (6 Sc. aix), 2– ax, 5– axe; Pl. axes. [Common Teutonic: OE. æx (acs), str. fem. for earlier *aces, *acus, Northumb. acas, cogn. with OS. akus (MDu. akes, Du. aaks), OHG. acchus (MHG. ackes, mod. G. ax, axt), ON. öx (gen. axar), Goth. aqizi; akin to Gr. ἀξίνη, and prob. to L. ascia. The spelling ax is better on every ground, of etymology, phonology, and analogy, than axe, which became prevalent during the 19th century; but it is now disused in Britain.]

This seems to be another example of an older form of a word surviving outside of the UK.

1. Atomic Duetto

(And it’s) Arse not Ass

So they axed it?

I’ve never known it as Ax, and I’ve been around

(Like a record, baby, right 'round, 'round, 'round)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: (And it’s) Arse not Ass

Ditto. Almost 60 here and it's always been Axe for me. Likewise, jail, not gaol.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] gaol."

I remember in the 1950s thinking that some of the characters in my UK comics were imprisoned in a "goal". It took a while to realise the word was "gaol" - for what I already knew and heard as "jail".

2. Irony Deficient

The Germanic noun, referring to the buttocks, is “arse” (from Old English “ærs”); the Latinate noun, referring to the equine subspecies, is “ass” (from Latin asinus). The figurative meaning of “dolt” comes from the latter, which goes back to the Roman Republic — Quid tu autem huic, asine, auscultas?

The leftpondian use of “ass” for “arse” came from a mid-19th century leftpondian taste for non-rhoticism. A similar mutation happened with “bass” (the fish) and “passel”, which came from “barse” and “parcel” respectively.

So they axed it?

The OED still gives both “axe” and “ax” as headwords for the entry, so it would depend upon whom you mean by “they”.

I’ve never known it as Ax, and I’ve been around

How you’ve known it might depend upon where you’re from. I’ve seen both spellings, as I have with “gray” and “grey”.

1. jake Silver badge

Shakespeare's Bottom was an ass for a reason ...

4. Mr Dogshit

Now steady on

You can't call a Travelodge a hotel. That's like calling McDonald's a restaurant.

1. Barry Rueger

Re: Now steady on

FWIW our car Beatrice loves travel, and especially LOVES hotels.

Except for Ibis properties, where she invariably craps on the bathroom floor

1. getHandle

That comment raises questions on a number of levels for me...

1. Down not across

Perhaps its not a typo and she is a P50.

2. Barry Rueger

Whoops. CAT our CAT Beatrice...

1. cmdrklarg

Too late! The cat's out of the bag now... you're harboring a rogue AI aren't you?

1. Alumoi Silver badge

The car is out of the bag, you mean.

2. Adrian 4

Craps .. you mean she leaks oil ?

Or is Beatrice a CAT ?

5. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Plausible deniability

I'm sending my face to as many of these services as possible. Let's hope they leak like a colander.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Plausible deniability

I suspect that, for most likely applications of this technology, other talking body parts will be more apposite.

2. Persona

You should consider what the advertisers will choose to use your face to promote. Just wait till that commercial break in the middle of your favorite program. There you are on the screen advertising products for erectile dysfunction and incontinence pads. Plausible deniability you say?

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> Plausible deniability you say?

Nah, "deniability" (of any kind) goes far over the heads of the crowd. For crowds (which as you all know are as intelligent as their most stupid member) you are invariably guilty even if proven innocent, all it takes is some throwaway remark by someone suggesting something. Judge Dredd is a terribly shy and terminally insecure person compared to a crowd...

So no, it will instantly be an established fact ("as seen on TV") that you have erectile problems and are regularly wetting your pants. You'll realize it when people start to put plastic covers on any furniture you're likely to sit on.

6. TheProf
    Terminator

Robot Barman

Apart from the flailing 'Danger, Will Robinson, danger!' arms it's just another Nutrimatic Drinks Dispenser.

Can it make a cup of tea?

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Robot Barman

It can make something almost, but not entirely unlike tea.

1. Coastal cutie
        Pint

Re: Robot Barman

Upvote and beer for the HHGTTG reference

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like