back to article Elon Musk's latest launch: An unsolicited Twitter takeover

The Twitter-Elon-Musk saga has taken another turn, with the tech billionaire tabling an offer of $54.20 per share to buy the website outright. Musk snapped up a 9.2 percent stake in the company in March (disclosed via SEC filing on April 4) but it was announced earlier this week that he would not be taking a seat on the …

Page:

1. aerogems Silver badge
    FAIL

Money can't buy maturity

He was kicked off the board before he even started, now he's pouting like a spoiled child. A spoiled child who can afford to throw around tens of billions of dollars, but a spoiled child just the same. He's like the archetypal rich kid in a children's show who tries to buy friends because that's the only way they can understand the world.

1. Halfmad

Re: Money can't buy maturity

He never joined because of the restrictions over how much stock he could own.

That would suggest he planned to buy more from day one.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

SEC won't be amused. It was supposed to be a passive investment, now it's turning into a hostile takeover announced via err... Twitter rather than filing.

Also be interesting if there's market manipulation in the announcement, ie share price rises on this news, so Musk's current stake gains.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Holmes

As I explained three days ago, his first SEC filing was a 13G form for a passive investment while he served on the board. He submitted a revised 13D filing to allow him to be an active investor with no limit to his stock holdings.

The SEC will have no problem with this particular action, assuming he follows through and is not just trying to manipulate the market.

As to why, Elon doesn't deal in whys, he deals in whims.

I stand by my prediction that this was his plan when he refused a seat on the board.

2. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

...now it's turning into a hostile takeover announced via err... Twitter rather than filing.

His announcement on Twitter was a link to the filing.

2. Danny 2

Well, it certainly suggests he planned to buy more from day two, when an underling told him about the stock restrictions of being on the board.

I just don't buy him. For a guy touted as being 'the smartest guy in any room' he must only be in very empty rooms.

Me, I never learned Latin. I know 'caveat emptor' means buyer beware, but what is the equivalent for beware of the buyer?

Maxwell, Murdoch, Musk.

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Headmaster

> Me, I never learned Latin. I know 'caveat emptor' means buyer beware, but what is the equivalent for beware of the buyer?

That would be "cave emptor", I believe - Latin being very, very beholden to the endings of words (as any fule kno).

I am now having flashbacks to my year of Latin and Greek lessons aged 11. Eeek.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"That would be "cave emptor", I believe - Latin being very, very beholden to the endings of words (as any fule kno)."

I didn't kno that! Clearly I'm not a fule!! Oh, wait. You git! Now I know too!!!

1. David 132 Silver badge
              Happy

It was a Molesworth reference, but I doubt that name means anything to many of the readers here these days!

2. jake Silver badge

Actually, that would be caveat emptor, as enshrined nicely in English Law.

As opposed to cave canum.

It's a subjective thing.

1. Steve K

Cave canem surely? Write it out 100 times…

Cave emptor “Beware buyer”

Caveat emptor “Let he who buys beware”

Romani ite domum……

1. jake Silver badge

Ah. I got the short end of the stick. Scrolling to fast and parsing too slowly.

I believe cave emptori would be closer.

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Although I never did Latin, everything I have found says caveat emptor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Perhaps you went to an inferior school with your prickly - but suspect - grammar correction.

Romani ite domum

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0lczHvB3Y9s&vl=en

1. veti Silver badge

I think you need to read more carefully.

3. Margaret Bartley

Cave emptori.

"of the buyer" is the dative case, which, for this declension, ends in "i".

Cave is the active form for this conjugation

1. Julian Bradfield

Cavēre, like most transitive verbs, takes the accusative (hence cave canem), so "beware of the buyer" is cave emptorem.

Sometimes it was also used with ab + ablative (cave ab emptore). But never with dative.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Great, so Musk now wants to own the high-tech equivalent of a restroom wall.

I'd suggest he buy Truth Social.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        Big Brother

That actually would not be out of the realm of possibility. Musk is a MAGAt, and a tRump apologist. He has stated in the past that tRump should not have been banned from Twatter, and is in favor of rescinding his ban. (It is entirely possible that one of the driving motives to get on the board and/or to control Twatter is to allow tRump and other such liars back onto the platform, in return for unspecified "future favors" from the head MAGAt.)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>tRump should not have been banned from Twatter

Something that many non-Trump fans also agree with.

Should the head of state be banned from Twitter? From Facebook, from Google, from ICANN ?

Next time it might be your candidate that is banned from the modern world.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

He was warned plenty of times. And he wasn't the head of state, he was a manbaby

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Was he not banned while still wearing the big hat? To be honest I try not to follow US news too closely for medical reasons

He was banned shortly after being replaced by the person who won the 2020 election.

2. R Soul Silver badge

And still is a manbaby.

3. Rol

The board offered Elon a seat at the table and he politely declined their offer.

He's offered well above the market price for shares, but he wants them all, so he can pursue his own agenda,

An agenda that might not be very rewarding for investors, but possibly very rewarding for democracy the world over.

An agenda that might not be very rewarding for investors, but possibly very rewarding for democracy the world over.

I have a hard time seeing purposely turning the platform into the world's largest disinformation and propaganda spigot can possibly be "very rewarding for democracy", but that's just me, I guess.

Unless, of course, your definition of "democracy" is the same as tRump's, which is something along the lines of, "You can do or say anything you want, so long as I agree with it, and/or it makes me money."

1. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

I think this is just what democracy costs. You can't save democracy with censorship, it's like bombs for peace.

Yeah, sure. And you can't falsely yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, either. Democracy does not hinge on either case.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Martin-73 Silver badge

No, as stated upthread, he's pro-trump. Pro trump people believe the results of the election should be ignored and him given the presidency he LOST. So that's NOT rewarding for democracy to me

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

I doubt democracy can be a one-man job. The concept of the "providential man" is detrimental to the one of Democracy.

Twitter is far from being a democratic tool. It's a loud speaker for hatred, racist, xenophobic and fascist contents. Twitter is much more related to Anarchy than to Democracy, it's a tool helping the vilest human instincts to express themselves.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Sorry Elon, but what's the point ?

Why buy Twitter for vastly inflated price when you have the cash - and the gumption - to build your own MuskSphere and Musk all you want ?

You're targetting Twitter just because it's there, like a whore on the street corner ?

Even a whore can say no.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Sorry Elon, but what's the point ?

The pimp (shareholders) might disagree. Does that make Wall St. a red light zone?

I agree with your 'what's the point' though !

2. fwthinks

rem - how to make millions in a few days (aka pump and dump)

10 - buy shares at x

20 - offer to buy the company for x+y to push up the price

30 - sell shares for x+y

40 - keep profit y

50 - goto 10

1. Helcat

Erm... not quite...

40 Keep profit of (y - (y*T))

Where T is the Tax %.

You're forgetting capital gains tax.

1. fwthinks

sorry - i assumed rich people don't pay tax

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

You forgot that Pump and Dump schemes are illegal.

The US SEC would love nothing more than to take Elon down a peg or three.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Since when has things being illegal stopped His Muskiness?

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Strewth !.... How much more evidence do you need fed to you?

The US SEC would love nothing more than to take Elon down a peg or three. ..... Steve Davies 3

What???? And kill one of its golden geese? I don't thinks so. It is the likes of Elon Musk that keeps the Fed going and the SEC in work pumping and dumping dollars to favoured market players. It's just a flash cash game to play and try not to crash or profit extraordinarily too obviously from.

Haven't you yet realised that?

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
            Pint

Re: Strewth !.... How much more evidence do you need fed to you?

Sir, who are you and what have you done with the original owner of this handle? .... your post made sense and I agree with it. Have a pint for your dedication!

Maybe someone with a lot of money has bought the source code to amanfromMars 1?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Maybe someone with a lot of money has bought the source code to amanfromMars 1? ... John Brown (no body)

Do you think if that someone was Elon Musk it would be an APTly absurd, remarkably shrewd and obscenely profitable, out of this world purchase/investment which the likes of Earthly regulatory authorities and Securities and Exchange Commissions would have no universal right to tangle with and become embroiled and entangled in?

And if they did ever presume and further assume to try to exercise such a right to tangle and become embroiled and entangled in any APTly absurd, remarkably shrewd and obscenely profitable, out of this world purchased investments, how well or badly do you think they would rightly fare in such an ACTive Live Operational Virtual Environment in which they are defenceless and easily considered as prey?

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>You forgot that Pump and Dump schemes are illegal.

>The US SEC would love nothing more than to take Elon down a peg or three.

Only if you are dumb enough to send an email to your accountant saying this is a scheme (which many people have)

Ideal case would be the SEC blocking him, then he can sell his shares walk away with a profit and say "I genuinely tried but the guberment stopped me!" The SEC can hardly sue him for selling after they told him he couldn't buy

1. jake Silver badge

I just looked at the calendar.

Gut feeling is that this is nothing more than another one of the stoner's "4/20" pipe dreams, on which date he'll laugh and say "just kidding'" or something equally brilliant.

We'll know on Wednesday.

3. Helcat

Simple: Twitter is an established platform and has a lot of users already, so there's less risk.

1. Warm Braw

there's less risk

On the one hand, Musk could start Mutter and fail to get enough users to make it viable. On the other, he could acquire Twitter for an eye-watering sum of money and have sufficient of its users leave after his transformation that it's no longer viable. There's certainly less at stake in the former.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OK, but given his character he probably assumes everyone will stay, and I'm afraid he's right - user inertia is hard to overcome.

Second Life. Myspace. Friendster. Google+....

1. DryBones
              Pint

SecondLife is still going and doing fine.

And has graphics that make the current 'popular' metaverses that are just NFT tie-ins look like toys. Also tons of physics driven vehicles, weaponry, events... SL was doing concerts before Fortnite existed.

https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-second-life-history-metaverse/

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like