back to article CIOs across Europe add their VOICE to chorus of calls to regulate cloud gatekeepers

Industry bodies representing thousands of CIOs and tech leaders across Europe have thrown their weight behind calls to rein in some of the iffier software licensing practices of the cloud giants. A letter sent to the European Parliament reiterates the harm being done by certain vendors, as flagged up by Professor Frédéric …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Name & shame

this would help others from choosing cloud giants who thus screw their customers. Although I expect to then quickly see new T&Cs that prevent customers from telling others how they have been screwed over.

1. SImon Hobson Silver badge

Re: Name & shame

Really ?

The article named two of them, and there aren't that many cloud "giants".

Microsoft - accused of charging more to let you use their software on any cloud but Azure.

Oracle - long history of screwing over the customervictim with questionable licensing terms.

Of the "big guys", I think that leaves Amazon and Google - do I really need to say more about them ?

And it's true that from my understanding it's illegal to use any of these to hold personal information - though I assume all of them have good enough stories to placate most businesses enough to believe that they can. For example, Microsoft makes a big thing of you being able to decide where you data is held - but the dat the CLOUD act was passed, Microsoft in the US handed over data held on servers in Ireland which rather proved that their claimed access controls didn't actually control that illegal access.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Shalghar

Will be interesting to see who will be served

The current scoreboard for anything EU is not really in favour of small or smaller companies. While there have been several national fines against google and suchlike and even the government of the netherlands managed to let microsoft defuse quite a bunch of the phone home functions of office 365, the public sector is politically aimed at serving US companies, no matter how intense the predictable data theft will be.

The city of Munich was totally (SUSE) Linuxed once, now is back to software as extortion AKA Microsoft.

Sorry to pop the illusions all those victims organisations still have about the EU "authorities" and "laws" but at least since the total pseudo-"protecting" fail called "GDPR", everyone should know that whatever might or might not happen will be mostly decoration and cosmetics with neither bite nor will to bite at all.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

In Deed, Changed Days in these Novel Times of NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTivated IT Spaces

Rather than bleating over spilt milk and the onerous and self-defeating incestuous practices employed and enjoyed by a few monolithic dinosaurs and stars of yesterday ...... take a bow Microsoft/Oracle/Amazon/Google, for your antics are commented on here ........ there is absolutely nothing to stop Cloud Infrastructure Service Providers in Europe (CISPE) and its/their like from supplying end user clients and pioneering customer bases alike with 0day intellectual property information that colossal tech abusers will not want to be shared over their systems infrastructures and via their machine operating systems/Windows and database management engines, because of the vulnerabilities that it exposes and exploits/lays out thread bare and naked for all to see is genuinely self-serving rather than generously mutually beneficial.

And sharing such information with them, and practically immediately discovering it is clearly not further shared as would have been reasonably normally expected, identifies the endemic systemic flaws for Prime ACTive Remedial Attention in either support of the flaw or otherwise.

Yes .... I know ..... it is hard to believe isn't it, that there be those who would think to defend the indefensible as being a worthy cause whenever the command and control of intelligence and information is not theirs to own and behold and bend so easily to their wishes as of yore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021