back to article Scottish National Party members found among list of names signed up to rival Alba Party after website whoopsie

Alex Salmond's Alba Party has got off to a rocky start after a coding error on its website appeared to expose the names of those signed up. First reported by Scotland's The Herald On Sunday, the names of more than 4,000 people who had signed up to attend events were inadvertently made public. While the newspaper gleefully …

Page:

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Yet again - Yaaaaawwwnn!

"Those ID values were sequential, so simply changing the number on a link to an online event showed the person whose name corresponds with that ID as the referrer on the page"

As in the movie - "You should get your head examined" "I did. They sent it back with with the note 'contents missing'"

2. Aladdin Sane
    Coat

I'm setting up a new party - The Scottish People's Front.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Scottish People's Front.

I would definitely Back the Scottish People's Front... but I'm not sufficiently Scottish.

1. 2+2=5 Silver badge
        Joke

Re: The Scottish People's Front.

> I would definitely Back the Scottish People's Front... but I'm not sufficiently Scottish.

I think I would find it an affront to be asked to back the Scottish People's Front by the Front's backers, but not taken aback to be asked to front a Scottish People's Back party. Or have I got that back to front?

1. Stuart Moore
          Go

The On The Side Of The Scottish People's party are delighted to announce we have joined with the Scottish People's Back party. The party will now be known as the Scottish People's BackSide party, or in Gaelic as Arse.

2. Kane Silver badge
          Joke

"I think I would find it an affront to be asked to back the Scottish People's Front by the Front's backers, but not taken aback to be asked to front a Scottish People's Back party. Or have I got that back to front?"

Username checks out.

3. The Indomitable Gall

The people of Back would like to have a word with you about the appropriation of their name for their home by your party.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I would definitely Back the Scottish People's Front... but I'm not sufficiently Scottish."

I joined them but didn't like their policies so I formed the Peoples Scottish Front. Everyone is welcome since I'm not Scottish either.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

As a half-Welsh, half-English flapper it was an obvious move to set up my own Scottish nationalist party - The Popular Front for Scotland - but I seem to be on my own.

[Splitter]

2. John G Imrie

Splitter

2. Ochib

I'm setting up a new party - Campaign for a Free Scotland

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Campaign for a Free Scotland

Are yo sure that there enough Scotland's to go around? If they are free, nearly everybody will want one!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: enough Scotland's to go around?

Perhaps they'd be kind enough to divide themselves up a little, so everyone could have their own Scotland? I believe it's traditional to suggest starting with West Lothian, but I'm sure it would be better if it was left to the individuals on the ground, as it were, to decide.

2. The Indomitable Gall

Why not? We've already got about five Free Kirks...

3. 42656e4d203239
      Joke

Splitters...

I'm setting up a new party - the People's Front of Scotland!

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Splitters...

Splitter!

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Coat

PFC

Portsmouth Football Club!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

How about the Sottish People's Back?

1. Maximus Delfango
        Boffin

It's a vocation; I do not do this for the thanks*

It has been universally agreed that the most useful, noble and intelligent people on the entire internet are those that point out other people's spelling mistakes without adding anything else of note to the discussion. They even have a special society, the Tucking Fwats.

So, without further ado:

lolz, you wrote Sottish, you wrote Sottish, you meant Scottish, like, literally, your mum.

Let the upvotes commence.

(*It isn't, and I do of course).

6. Danny 14 Silver badge

anything is better than those scumbags in the peoples front of Scotland.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Donald, where's your troosers?"

I presume Alba will fix this with a cutesy logo, a website redesign including happy smiling cartoon people of all colours and creeds and a meaningless statement along the lines of "hoots mon! will ye nae be worryin' about our security! Wee Hamish has it all in hoond!", just like Nurserycam ("your beautiful baby, on the internet forever!") are aiming to do.

Alba's first mistake was to name themselves after a purveyor of ratty old clock radios, and yes, Scottish people speak exactly like this. All of them.

1. John Riddoch
      Joke

Re: "Donald, where's your troosers?"

"Scottish people speak exactly like this" - no we don't. We usually swear a lot more than that...

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

"In Glasgow, the word 'fucking' is just a general indication that a noun is on its way."

- Frankie Boyle

1. Little Mouse Silver badge

My aunt lives in Scotland; she says it's quite nice.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The noun is "English".

1. The Indomitable Gall

That's an adjective.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Let's keep think properly Scottish here...

"Donald, whaur's yer troosers ?..."

1. ForthIsNotDead

Call youreself Scots?

Pah!

It's: "Donald, fars yer troosers?".

And I'm not even Scottish! Pah!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

And I'm not even Scottish!

There is no doubt about that and it seems as though you've not actually been there either.

1. ForthIsNotDead

I'm a Sassenach that has lived in Aberdeen since 2005. And I ken fit Doric is. Ok?

2. Citizen of Nowhere

Either is acceptable Scots. "Far" meaning where you would be more likely to come across where "the Doric" is spoken -- the north-east of the country. You might also hear the greeting "Fit like?" rather than "How ye daen?"

And I am Scottish.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

That would as common as the 2 people and a donkey that live by the dry stane dyke, use peat to heat their stills, occasionaly sell tattie scones to the tourists and think that Ullapool is the largest city on the earth...

1. Citizen of Nowhere

Really? What would I know, I only grew up there.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

As a Scotsman myself, I find it strange that I have never heard anyone use that variation...

I can understand on the Isles that the accents change heavily, or that an Aberdonian differs from a Glaswegian.... But the large majority do not use that phrase..

3. Dr. G. Freeman

"Alba's first mistake was to name themselves after a purveyor of ratty old clock radios"

Along those lines, with Salmond's reputation, could have called themselves Bush.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Reminds me of a slogan during the 1988 US Presidential Election, on a T-shirt worn by a female Republican supporter:

My heart is for Bush, but my bush is for Hart

Bush - George H.W. Bush

Hart - Gary Hart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Donna_Rice_and_Gary_Hart.jpg

1. General Purpose Bronze badge

How long have you been holding onto that URL? The file was deleted in 2015!

4. LybsterRoy

You are all presuming this is an error. Its deliberate. Many of the SNP names found on the list were added by Alba to annoy Nicky and sow confusion among the SNP.

1. boltar Silver badge

"sow confusion among the SNP"

Not a hard task, lets be honest. The faithful are mostly just your standard issue dim nationalists (not the same as patriots) yet unlike english nationalists who generally quite rightly get slated, the SNP get a free pass with the BBC and other media organisations for [reasons] despite their quite obvious anti-english attitudes. Any organisation that is unashamably xenophobic against its near neighbour and is still dining out on injustices from 500 years ago really needs to take a good look at itself in the mirror.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Which anti-English attitudes?

I keep hearing claims of Anglophobia, but with no specific allegations.

Are there anglophobes in Scotland? Yes.

Are some of them members of the SNP? No doubt.

Are they anything other than fringe elements? As far as I know, no.

1. boltar Silver badge

Charging English students tuition fees while Scots and EU citizens got it for free for starters. Then theres the whole english = tories meme Krankie keeps pushing. Also the Westminster doesnt understand scotland BS despite having many scots there but apparently Brussels does despite having none.

Oh, and the bit I love is the empire was all down to the English stance which was apparently nothing to do with any clean living scotsmen despite 1 in 3 slavers in Jamaica being Scottish plus the scots heading off to Canada en mass to help slaughter the indigenous peoples. And theres plenty more under the radar implicit xenophobia designed to brainwash the gullible into voting SNP to "free" scotland from the nasty english. If anything we need freeing from the duplicitous money grabbing whingers north of the border who refuse to accept history,

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Boltar, you seem to be working from an as yet-to-be-vindicated assumption that you are the adult in the room, yet the argument you put forth contains the following language

"Krankie"

"BS"

"brainwash the gullible"

"duplicitous money grabbing whingers"

"refuse to accept history"

and approximately zero, as far as I can see in terms of actual content that can be sensibly engaged with by any rational opponent. Do you want to have another go?

1. boltar Silver badge

No actual content or you don't want to admit there was any because it doesn't follow your narrative? Why not start off with this cupcake and see how you get on:

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/

2. Citizen of Nowhere

Fairly sure it is British nationalism which gets the free pass.

In the 2014 referendum, the population of Scotland was enfranchised to decide on their future. Not Scots. Anyone, regardless of whether they were Scottish, English, Polish or anything else, as long as they were stably resident in the country and should therefore have a say in its future. If the Scottish independence movement is xenophobic, they sure have a strange way of showing it.

In the Brexit referendum on the other hand millions of people resident denied a vote on the future of the country where they were stably resident and a lot of people who had not even lived in the country for up to 15 years and little stake in its future enfranchised.

Still, the kind of trite misrepresentation and hectoring condescension you exhibit continues to fuel support for independence, so feel free to continue.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you Salmond days!

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Immaculate Source for Coding to XSSXXXX ... A Heavenly BeDevilling Delight :-)

It is nice to know who you are getting into beds with. Anything less has one encountering an Almighty Invisible Resource ....a Superlative Sleeping Partner with Light Years of Quantum Communication Experience in Brokering Virtually Augmented Imagination ProgramMING.

To paraphrase Tom Hanks, and a legitimate question to ask for a sensible answer, given the implied subject matter ..... "Langley, is that there a problem?"

You appear to be holding four aces, El Reg, an exclusive hand dealt to you for you that you never before believed even remotely possible, but here we all are seeding future fare. :-) That puts y'all here on El Reg in a most enviable leading position whenever tuned in to Almighty Invisible Resources with Future Guaranteed Virtually Immaculate Source Supply to Muster and Deploy in the Foreign Fields of Alien Terrain.

Now that is One Almighty Core Ore Source Vein to Freely Tap into and partake of the Flow of Info and Intel enabling one to unlock all manner of Heavenly Padlocked Gates.. As may imagine, that very much opens up a whole host of Adam and Eve Gardens of Eden with Delights made IMPossible not to share in order to fully enjoy and luxuriate in the much appreciated reward of more rewards and awards to favour and savour and flavour and beta test sample live in the Palaces of Places Chosen.

And methinks for now, that be more than enough to enjoy . Too much of anything good or bad is never a great thing so just taking lots of great bits of everything leads one onto and into SMARTR SWIFT Courses. I Kid U Not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the Website was specifically hacked by the Newspaper for their story

Then isn't the Newspaper guilty under the GDPR for releasing the names?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If the Website was specifically hacked by the Newspaper for their story

I think the point is it wasn't hacked. It was easy to get the information.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: If the Website was specifically hacked by the Newspaper for their story

Do the anti hacking laws have a defence of "they were practically giving it away".

I'm not sure you can claim that you were allowed access coz their security was so shit.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021