back to article Somebody's Russian to meddle with UK coronavirus vaccine efforts, but GCHQ won't take it lying down

British eavesdropping agency GCHQ is actively hacking Russian attempts to undermine coronavirus vaccine efforts, according to The Times. Citing government press officers anonymous sources, the newspaper reported this morning that the agency was "taking down hostile state-linked [propaganda] content and disrupting the …

Page:

1. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

Nothing to see here. Just GCHQ, Putin themselves about.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

I'm vlad that you posted your pun.

1. BebopWeBop

But not russian to do it

2. Anonymous Coward
      1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Do you not like puns? You're Lenin the side down.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you can't join the pun fun ...

... Trot off

1. a pressbutton

Re: If you can't join the pun fun ...

Always stalin the best lines

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it could "turn people into monkeys".

Given the activities of the last 5 years (15 if you include anti vaxers) I reckon it already has.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: it could "turn people into monkeys".

given we are led by donkeys, turning into a monkey is the least of my worries

2. Ken 16 Bronze badge

I liked Planet of the Apes, let's see what happens.

3. sev.monster Bronze badge
      Coffee/keyboard

It would be awesome to be monky. Just eat, sleep, and throw fæces.

No more politics, no more malware, no more money problems, just monky.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Is that you Donald?

2. BebopWeBop

Well that is a Westminster debate for you

4. Jonathan Richards 1

>...because AZD1222 uses a replication-deficient chimpanzee viral vector, it could "turn people into monkeys"

The Librarian would like a word with you, comrade.

1. Citizen99

Oook !

3. _LC_ Silver badge
    Stop

I reckon the news in North Korea look similar

I reckon that the "news" in North Korea look similar. Does that get you thinking?

Hint: GCHQ bots responding, just as in NK, but the weather is worse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I reckon the news in North Korea look similar

... W... hat?

2. You aint sin me, roit
      Trollface

Individual taste, but

North Korea is a bit chilly in winter, so not too sure about the better weather.

Unless you mean the political climate, which is decidedly frosty all year round ... with occasional days when it heats up.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Say no more, Squire

according to The Times.

Well, what else can one say and expect ...... it is one of Rupert's comics, is it not? Hardly a bastion of forthright rectitude to be following religiously with apparent unquestioning glee ....... although I'm sure there are those who are into supporting it fanatically.

One does have to ask ..... Why, if intelligence services are supposed to be so good at what they are supposed to be so very good at, and here we appears to be being told they are excelling at it with a commanding control of mis/dis/malinformation, is everything so very bad and maddening?

Nothing is changed. SNAFUBAR Rules the Roost .... and aint that the Gospel.

In anyones' language/lexicon is that an Epic Fail and yet here in the above tall tale is it being lauded. Strewth, whatever are they on? Can you get it with a doctor's prescription? What do you need to say you are chronically suffering from?

Conspiracy loons in the weirder corners of the internet have leapt on the hacking story as proof of everything from a government campaign to silence alternative,...

How are finding those corners, Gareth? Enjoyable/Exhilarating/Enriching/Exhausting/Evil? :-)

1. JDPower Bronze badge

Re: Say no more, Squire

Have you been at the strong liquor?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Have you been at the strong liquor?

It's amanfromMars 1. Quite restrained for him I thought.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JDPower, you are questioning the sobriety of ManFromMars? You using someone elses account ?

1. sev.monster Bronze badge

He is the liquor.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

@JD Power, @Arthur the cat

That post could be by GCHQ... having broken into the amanfromMars 1 account

1. ClockworkOwl
          Terminator

Nah, I think (hope :) it's just muzzle flash in our own quiet war...

I for one have had enough of our current ship lice "leadership" and their "authority"!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re Leading Authorships .... Say no more, Squire. Mighty Mice and Remote Access Trojans Rule ‽ .

Nah, I think (hope :) it's just muzzle flash in our own quiet war...

I for one have had enough of our current ship lice "leadership" and their "authority"! .... ClockworkOwl

Some, who now can be more than just many and easily far greater than any former self-chosen Few, are a clear/transparent/invisible and present dangerous established geo-political systems worry, for it is not so much muzzle flash, ClockworkOwl, as the resounding and expanding EMP shocks from a series of programs dropping WMD type classified munitions for One Mother of a Hell of an Almighty Intervention, which is/are raining down to Earth from a Space beyond Mortal Command and Remote Autonomous Control, which is a Real Enough Cause for Deep Dark State Concerns.

And all because of a TOP SECRET Operations Research Technical Manual TM-SW7905.1 ...Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars ...... which did itself proud at the time to realise, and one imagines, if it is possible, to ideally prepare itself for the inevitable nightmare scenario that would force itself to morph into an altogether quite fundamentally different radical phorm of alien being.*

In 1954 it was well recognized by those in positions of authority that it was only a matter of time, only a few decades, before the general public would be able to grasp and upset the cradle of power, for the very elements of the new silent-weapon technology were as accessible for a public utopia as they were for providing a private utopia.

And for those who like to listen rather than read, knock yourself out with the narration shared here ...https://youtu.be/TCl9EHlnFV8

* The jury of peers is presently out considering its verdict on that golden crown jewelled opportunity.

2. a pressbutton

Enjoyable/Exhilarating/Enriching/Exhausting/Evil

Makes me think of a gartner magic pentangle

Makes you wonder where you would put the FAANGs (and Oracle)

5. Cynic_999 Silver badge

Infantile

So effectively Russia is saying, "Your vaccine is rubbish!"

And the UK is responding, "Shut your mouth, it's your vaccine that's rubbish!"

Then both chant, "Nah na na nah nah - my daddy's bigger than your daddy so there!"

Not sure that's what our tax money should be paying our security services for.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Infantile

Let them play together, they're not bothering the public.

1. ibmalone Silver badge

Except they sort of are, what is described is a misinformation campaign to persuade people (well, persuade idiots, but there's an overlap), not to take a vaccine because it will turn you into a monkey/control your brain/cause 5G to erupt from your ears/be a betrayal of brexit.

2. S4qFBxkFFg

I am nearly certain that this is overoptimistic, but it would be far better if instead of competition, the work of all the scientists in this field was open access from start to finish. Let the Russians (and anyone with an internet connection) look at "our" data, have the Russian data available to "our" people too.

If this required temporary nationalisation of large parts of big pharma, the situation justifies it.

Effective responses to this virus are far more valuable than giving Johnson/Putin something impressive to say in a briefing.

1. sev.monster Bronze badge

Sorry, no. There is profit to be made.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

People that believe the Russian propaganda don't take the vaccine, get sick and die.

I don't immediately see the problem

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

... they are carriers who can infect those that can't take the vaccine, or are immune to it..

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Good point. What's the status of hunting with dogs legislation back in blighty?

1. Kubla Cant Silver badge

What's the status of hunting with dogs legislation back in blighty?

You'll end up with hunting dogs that infect you with Covid. Is that what you want?

2. Jonathan Richards 1
          Holmes

The immediately obvious problem is that unvaccinated conspiracy theory adherents will clog up the hospitals between steps B) get sick and C) die.

1. fajensen
            Trollface

Well, is there not a manual on EquestrianMink Health Care that can be adopted?

2. JohnG

"...unvaccinated conspiracy theory adherents will clog up the hospitals between steps B) get sick and C) die."

The NHS could be directed to refuse hospital admission to those who have previously refused to be vaccinated, when advised by NHS medical professionals.

3. You aint sin me, roit
      Holmes

I think it went more like...

Russians - we have the firstest, bestest vaccine.

World - show us the evidence because the figures you released are not convincing.

Russians - your vaccine will turn you into monkeys!

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Russians try to hack into AstraZenica and GCHQ try to hack the propagandists who claim we are all going to be monkeys (chimps, Shirley). A disproportionate response?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still confused about the 90%

Is this the same 90% who do not end up in hospital with sever reaction to covid or is it 90% of the remaining <10% who do end up in hospital?

I ask as those that do end up dying in hospital with covid are still classed the same as those that die because of covid.

It has been suggested that those that die of covid are the same group that die of flu each year, even with immunisation, so is the reported 90% of everyone in UK or just 90% of those that are also susceptable to flu?

1. JDPower Bronze badge

Re: Still confused about the 90%

No, it's the 90% in the trial who were regularly tested. Quit trying to make the story fit your moronic agenda.

1. This post has been deleted by a moderator

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
          Facepalm

I like 90% of the UK population have already had this infection

Man flu strikes again.

2. ibmalone Silver badge

"I like 90% of the UK population have already had this infection without going to hospital, what benefit to me has this vaccine"

Evidence please. Even the highest estimates are far below that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@"Even the highest estimates are far below that." yes because the vast majority of people only get mild symptoms and do not report it or end up in hospital.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yep, I got it very early on and just stayed in bed for a week. Definitely the worst flu-like symptoms I've ever had but a little R&R and I'm fine.

2. ibmalone Silver badge

Gosh, if only the people who do this work had thought of that.

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/

2. Blazde

It's *at least* 90%. Likely it's much higher but they don't have statistically significant confidence of that yet. In *healthy* individuals aged 12 and over.

Flu immunisation is a totally different ballgame because it mutates so rapidly.

3. ibmalone Silver badge

Well, it's the end of the day, so sure, I'll bite:

"It has been suggested "

To quote wikipedia, "by who?" Because numbers dying are much higher than those for flu.

In any case, nothing to do with hospitalisation risk, this is those vaccinated are 90% less likely to catch coronavirus than those unvaccinated. Meaning a widespread vaccination programme could stop the unconstrained spread because it wouldn't get far.

"I ask as those that do end up dying in hospital with covid are still classed the same as those that die because of covid."

No you don't, because if you had looked at excess deaths this year compared with other years it'd have been pretty clear that however you want to count them there are a lot more.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022