back to article Since the EU won't share all its toys, UK Space Agency fires up fund to support more international collaboration

The UK Space Agency has opened a new lunch fund designed to foster "international space collaborations." Some £5m of taxpayers' cash is available for the project, which the agency hopes will support UK outfits seeking to buddy up with some of the world's major space players, such as the US, Japan, and France. The agency …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

£5m? That should be enough to pay for the meetings, lunches and paperworks. To have something useful produced, not that sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's nearly 0.01% of a SpaceX

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: £5M

Enough to send a politician to New Zealand, put him in a space suit and launch him into sun synchronous orbit. The return journey would take a few hundred years but there would be a free cremation bundled with the service.

I used to think voting on a politician to send into orbit would motivate them all to act in the country's best interests. Now I think it would result all of them blaming each other for their own mistakes.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

I would tend to agree with your remarks, but because we are the ones who elect them and put them in place, we collectively deserve the politicians we get.

The public is governed as it reasons; its own prerogative is foolish speech and that of its governors is foolish action

1. Avatar of They
          Facepalm

I don't deserve them, I didn't vote for them and I don't feel a member of the same species as the current people in parliament with their arrogance, ignorance, lies and or bumbling stupidity.

I just felt it needed to be said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£5 million?

Well that's the swoopy logo and jingle sorted...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: £5 million?

All the Space and Science sector have to do is to come up with proposals with a tenuous link to tacking Covid-19, and for good measure add in some AI/ML into the mix, then finally bring in a Tory MP or a mate/relative of you know who in as an advisor. Then sit back and see the contracts of the "free money" type come rolling in without any scrutiny under Covid-19 emergency regulators.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: £5 million?

You have forgotten blockchain.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
          Trollface

Blockchain

...IN SPAAACCCE!!!!!!

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

An Application for Smashing Applications

The UK Space Agency is awash in a highly competitive and fabulously aggressive field that generates funding.

Outed there, in the following enthusiastic text, be an early bird pioneer .... and virtual sputnik in the works of autocratic western technocracies ..... utilising chronically poor performing satellites of universal administration for Global Operating Devices.

If you're dealing in Spaces, first come first, servered and serviced by Immaculately Resourced Assets of a Universal Vital Force for an Almighty Overwhelming Lead Delivered Practically Immediately and Virtually Instantly. And as such does it constitutes a Double Whammy of Incredibly Outrageous Great Fortune, which is most definitely something to be celebrated and invested in. :-) I Kid U Not.

Dr Maj, meanwhile, reminded entrants to brush up on their presentation skills. “Visualise what you want to present, especially if it’s complex,” he said. “[You must have] data. I’m waiting for a concept, and I want to be able to see it.” ...... https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/01/huawei_appsup/

What cost for all here reported online, already done and up and running free to air and prepared for sharing/trafficking? ..... and succinctly summed up in the quite short sentence displayed with the following few words released with ideas to engage with and present ....

A Novel See in/for a Vast Expanding Picture Program Engaging Live Operational Virtual Environments Presenting a New System of Universal Command and Control, aided and abetted by simple direct messages like these .... which are certainly surely addressed to Dr Maj, with it being clearly enough posted now from here?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: An Application for Smashing Applications

How much of amfm1 did you read before realising it wasn't an Dominic Cummings official statement ?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Pint

Re: An Application for Smashing Applications

+1 "Global Operating Devices"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok, let me be the fifth to say it

But £5M is one third of fuck all. There are grants in the EU where the minimum funding requirement is €10M, and that's per application, not the whole kitty.

I reckon they just wanted to have a press release saying their investing in space, that's all.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Ok, let me be the fifth to say it

10 flights in space on Virgin Galactic (or on a bus replacement service if there are technical difficulties)

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Ok, let me be the fifth to say it

I think these are grants to help fund the exploration of new ideas for international collaboration, I mean come up with a proposal. Not for actually doing anything.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back in the uniform…

…of the Grammar Police force.

> I reckon they just wanted to have a press release saying their investing

How embarrassing. Of course I meant to write they're investing. And I can't even downvote myself. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Back in the uniform…

Not taking time to review your comment (or code) is a common problem.

BTW, as an AC you can't go to My Posts to check but if refresh the page your comment will show up with a 15 minute window to edit it .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Back in the uniform…

> as an AC you can't go to My Posts to check

Yes you can.

6. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

As written in a ElReg article linked to in this article - "As ye sow, so will ye reap".

I suppose there are still people feeling happy about it.

1. Paradroid

"The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want" (Michael Gove)

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Odd choice of path

but at lease you can play cards before you walk over the cliff

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Holding all the cards?

Mr Gove has not read the rules, in the game of 'cheat' he who holds all the cards is the LOSER.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon