back to article Putin to Trump: Let's collude to stop election hacking

Russia has taken the unusual step of posting a proposal for a new information security collaboration with the United States of America, including a no-hack pact applied to electoral affairs. The document, titled "Statement by President of Russia Vladimir Putin on a comprehensive program of measures for restoring the Russia – …

1. Winkypop Silver badge

Formal agreement

Better than blackmail and coercion I guess.

Maybe Trump will even pay his taxes one day!

Wonder of wonders

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Formal agreement

Any Kompromat will become worthless if Trump fails to 'win' the Election.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Trump has paid his taxes, $750 recently - Gosh I hadn't realized that I was way richer than Trump - I paid $6,529 last year.

3. botski@comcast.net

I'm going to follow him and not pay taxes next year. Pretty easy to do - set up a "charity" like Trump's, donate tons of money to it, get huge write-offs (business expenses like hiring Cohen to pay hush money payments to whores, $70K dollars for hair cuts, etc.), then siphon it back later just like he did. I'll try to keep my "charity" running longer than his.

1. DS999 Silver badge

You'd need a lot more deductions than that to zero out your taxes if you earned nearly a half billion over a decade or so from a TV show like Trump did from The Apprentice.

Either you need to own a number of failing businesses that are losing truly gargantuan sums of money, or you need to falsify massive losses from those businesses. Knowing Trump, it could be either and is likely both.

4. codejunky Silver badge

@Winkypop

"Maybe Trump will even pay his taxes one day!"

He does-

https://www.expunct.com/politics/president-trumps-aggressive-tax-avoidance-doesnt-exist/

5. webhead

lol. funny, but, some of you really didn't read the article to the end. There were large credits from previous years. Millionaires and billionaires do have teams of exports to avoid US taxes. Just ask Bezos, Pelosi, Schumer, Musk, etc. Companies like Exxon, Apple, etc also play the game.

Hate the game, but, don't hate the player. Thank your politicians for that game.

2. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

Trump to Putin: You "scratch" our results back and, um, we scratch yours? Maybe.

Putin glares.

Trump: Forget I asked.

Putin: Smart man.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 eyes plus 1

So 5 eyes plus one is back on the table: Giving Putin access to 5 eyes intelligence data under disguise of "security". Since 5 eyes has all its internal security barriers lowered, it gives Putin control of 5 eyes states. As Trump "secures" national security with "information sharing". Putin can do what he does with Hungary and now Turkey, "helping" with the elections, and Belarus "helping" the elections.

There are no elections in Russia, Putin hasn't won an election in more than a decade. He kills his opponents, he arrests his opponents, and when the vote comes, few people vote, yet the turnout is overwhelmingly high, 98% in some places, 98% for Putin. Gee I wonder why that is. Why would USA help protect Putin's fake elections and undermine its own security in the process?

Perhaps you could ask Fox News and Murdoch , who seem to forget they're supposed to be on Team America first and not Team Trump/Putin first.

You see the tax returns? You see how he's desperate for money? Borrowing a few million here and there, to hide huge losses in his business. He'll sell out the USA for pennies.

Pennies, that's what US security is worth to a bankrupt liar.

He's a traitor. Putin kills US troops, and Trump uses their bodies as excuse for pulling out of Afghanistan and Syria and handing Putin those US bases. Now Putin wants it all, a last dash in the Trump presidency to get control of the USA once and for all. With the help of Republicans more loyal to 'team' than to country, he might just get it.

Tell me Republicans, if Putin offers you 200,000 soldiers to help secure the democracy, like he did to Belarus, you would take them right? You'd bring in Russian troops to suppress "antifa" which seems to be mostly Russian trolls. You'd do that right? Anything for power, right? That what your kind does right? No lie too big no deception too devious. His troops shoot US soldiers and you'd be on the Russian side right? Declare the US troops to be "deep state" and help them get shot? Undermining the US, like you undermined its cyber security, its FBI, its Inspector Generals, its CDC, its CIA, its NSA, its Treasury, its economy, the dollar.

But hey, think of all the PAC money and quid-pro-quo, right Republicans?

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Sound like

The QAnus conspiracy myth spinners haven't managed to convince you of their lies. Have an upvote

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 5 eyes plus 1

Hillary, is that you?

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Re: 5 eyes plus 1

No Vladimir it's not.

4. redpawn

Whre's the part

where Russia gets half of Poland?

1. Sin2x

Re: Whre's the part

I guess, geography is not your forte.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I guess, history is not your forte.

Molotov Ribbentrop Pact.

1. Sin2x

Modern Russia has cut all of its ties with the communist regime just as modern Germany has cut al of its ties with the nazi regime. Your retort is bollocks, my friend.

2. Blazde Silver badge

"I guess, geography is not your forte"

If you're trying to suggest Russia and Poland don't share a border and that modern Russia wouldn't annex an enclave you're wrong on both counts.

1. Sin2x

Oh really?

Let's take a closer look at them then:

1. Russia and Poland don't share a border

Guess what, they actually don't if you don't take Kaliningrad Oblast , which is an external enclave, into account. Google Maps is your friend here.

2. Modern Russia would like to annex Poland

That's so ridiculous that I don't even have a refute, actually. Can you support your statement with any evidence so that I could have something to refute?

1. Blazde Silver badge

I was referring to Crimea, which happened despite serious ongoing supply problems due to it's isolation from the Russian mainland. Poland is anyway way more self-sufficient by comparison - assuming a sensible choice of the half.

Fully agree they probably don't want to annex Poland. What a headache that would be. The geography however does not stand in their way.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He doesn't need to mess up the American or British political systems

We have shown we are perfectly capable of doing it ourselves!

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: He doesn't need to mess up the American or British political systems

"We have shown we are perfectly capable of doing it ourselves!" sure, but we have had a lot of assistance, envelopes passed under the table to everyone "running" the country.

6. Gerard Krupa

Let me sit upon your back...

...said the Scorpion to the frog

1. You aint sin me, roit

Let's say we won't do...

... what we said we didn't do. *wink*

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A SMARTR Fox in Crazy Hen Houses?

Bravo, Vladimir. Well played, Sir. And a leading AIMaster Stroke too, which is wonderfully nice and fortunately not surprisingly unexpected in Animal Farms which be easily Alien.

8. PerlyKing
    Black Helicopters

So what's Putin afraid of?

It feels like the little kid has been happily poking the big kid with a stick, the big kid has finally had enough and pulled out a gun, and the little kid suddenly wants to be friends and play nice.

What's really happened? If the USA got something over on Russia I don't see the Twit in Chief keeping quiet about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So what's Putin afraid of?

It's just Putin making a propaganda play by proposing a treaty. Given this is the same Putin who has sanctioned murder of political opponents on foreign soil I think we can safely assume he'll ignore any treaty he may actually sign up to.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

I think we can safely assume he'll ignore any treaty he may actually sign up to. .... james_smith

That'll be suitably pleasant company then for ye olde latter day parliamentary democracy root, j_s.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

It feels like the little kid has been happily poking the big kid with a stick, the big kid has finally had enough and pulled out a gun, and the little kid suddenly wants to be friends and play nice.

It's just the usual geopolitics. Putin's made the US an offer they must refuse, and in doing so, Putin can carry on pointing out US interference. Stuff like the US bases in Syria 'protecting' their oil fields, and risking more direct confrontation. Or tit-for-tat media restrictions. Or perhaps even joint Russia-US investigation into the mysterious poisoning of Navalny, where key witness(es) and evidence is not available to Russia. But obviously that was a state action because the poisoned water bottles were left untouched for 3+ hrs, and not removed by Russia's crack agents.

Or we're just back to the cold war, now with added cyber warfare to go with missile upgrades.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

"Russia has taken the unusual step of posting a proposal for a new information security collaboration with the United States of America, including a no-hack pact applied to electoral affairs."

This is nothing new. The US has attempted to work on security matters with Russia in the past, doing information sharing and similar. What happened then is the Russians got all the info they wanted and provided nothing in return. Still, some folks will fall far the same thing over and over...

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

This is nothing new. The US has attempted to work on security matters with Russia in the past, doing information sharing and similar. What happened then is the Russians got all the info they wanted and provided nothing in return.

Allegedly. There had been security agreements like START or INF Treaties, but then finger pointing about who violated who first. Which can be a bit of a playground argument, but these kids have nukes. So this overture might be an offer to err.. reSTART some of those negotiations. Or not, given both sides have hungry MICs to feed. Cybersecurity is just part of the age-old game of Spy vs Spy.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

START mostly did what it intended, The INF treaty problem was the 800lb Panda sitting in the corner.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

It's just the usual geopolitics ..... Or we're just back to the cold war, now with added cyber warfare to go with missile upgrades. .... Jellied Eel

You're not back to anything, with added cyber warfare, Jellied Eel. It's extremely unusual and relatively novel geopolitical warefare and virtually real to combat in combat ...... and that makes some, who may be only a few, practically almighty and even, it may be said, quite impossible to defeat.

Take care you don't warrant their very particular and designedly peculiar undivided attention if you are prepared to launch an inadvisable attack in a vain plucky defence of the intolerable and inequitable .... for none but the incredibly wise has any idea what then can miraculously and spectacularly happen as an appropriate response to such a foolhardy action/maniacal reaction/fearful interaction, for surely things are entirely different nowadays, with none of the old ways just so effective in commanding control as they used to be.

You may like to consider they be virtually totally ineffective and have been effectively succeeded and superseded, as in replaced by something else, considerably better and infinitely more powerful ...... although it is easily conceded, such is a mighty great ask which many will fail miserably to accept as possible and thus be fated and destined to perpetually struggle against the likes of themselves in a future which leaves them behind to forever wallow in their sorrows. That aint very bright of them, is it, whenever it is so appallingly moronic?

3. John Jennings

Its China they are both worried about. Russia hasnt been too friendly with them for some time.

9. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Ironic

Isn't this just the ultimate irony of Putin interfering in the election in order to help to get Trump elected by offering a ceasefire on election interference?

10. iron Silver badge

Idk if its just me but "Committee on Homeland Security" and the logo on that video seem oddly communist.

11. Unicornpiss
    Alert

Is it April 1st again already??

Or did I inadvertently visit The Onion and not El Reg?

12. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Or is it just an underhanded scheme to get behind some firewalls and siphon off critical information, then withdraw citing "irreconcilable differences"?

13. Naselus

Also, wolf asks shepherd to form joint sheep-watching pact.

14. DS999 Silver badge

Let's agree to both stop doing the thing I've "strongly denied" doing

Yep, sounds like typical Putin doublespeak.

15. nextdoortotheBOFH

Lol Putin has hit troll level 11, he's gone full Spinal Tap walt

16. Norman123

Any agreement that reduces chance of war

Any rational human would agree that any agreement with nuke powers is a good idea to prevent chance of starting MAD. The planet is sitting on a powder keg. If it lights up, kiss our dear rearies bye, bye....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Satire and irony both died on January 20, 2017, and are buried side-by-side in the graveyard of the American experiment in democracy.

18. codejunky Silver badge

Kudo's

Have to give some credit to trump, he has been fairly successful diplomatically on the world stage. He is a bull in the political china shop but he is effective.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah well. Trump did say that the next election was going to be rigged. What he didn't say was that he was going to rig it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like