back to article Brit government WLTM one Chief Digi Info Officer

UK.gov is on the lookout for a Government Chief Digital Information Officer (GCDIO) – a permanent secretary role that sets the strategic direction of travel for public sector IT in return for up to £180,000 a year. The job advert was published today and the speedy turnaround process has caught some onlookers in government IT …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Vast Chasm that Enables Public Spirited Service vs Private and Pirate Sector Enterprise*

£180k a month would be money well spent on a worthy inspirational candidate.**

*Who do you think always wins that competition for more than just a short while?

** I like to see their Grand AIMaster Plan. It is surely bound to quite astounding to warrant such as many may consider to be extraordinary largesse.

But such thoughts are relative. For some who may be many, are such sums no more than just as loose change ..... and easy to give away with no thought of future repayment and unwarranted obligation.

They be as Heavenly Grants in All the Best of Leading Program Leading Applications.

1. bondyboy

Re: The Vast Chasm that Enables Public Spirited Service vs Private and Pirate Sector Enterprise*

180K is the salary

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: The Vast Chasm that Enables Public Spirited Service vs Private and Pirate Sector Enterprise*

180K is the salary .... bondyboy

Yeah, bondyboy, that's the problem. It does not reflect any sort of appropriate remuneration for more leading instruction on the necessary works to be carried out by others who be currently floundering at the true tasks required, and as may be quite well enough advertised for in the short summary of skills sought and to be provided.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The... Vast Chasm ...Enterprise

Howdy, Doc,

"may be quite well enough *energised within* the short summary of skills"

That's some salary. Who are the many the DigDir should shoot with a machine gun for such a revenue?

They must be real public enemies, taking a public purse into accounting..

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Crowdsourcing/job share opp?

Wonder if we could send in a CV for a 'Victor Ulture', which would be able to tick all the demographic boxes, hard & soft skills etc. If it needs a 'face', then could expense an animatronic CDIO & through cloning that, would show a huge productivity advantage over other C-level types. The tech has moved on a lot since Max Headroom, so I reckon this is viable.

(But even though I tend to avoid government work like the plague, I suspect El Reg is right about the preferred candidate already being known to government.)

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Crowdsourcing/job share opp?

The preferred candidate is someone that Dominic Cummings knows from Cambridge Analytica.

3. Warm Braw

... might already have someone in mind for the job

Given that the advert requires "a strong track record for delivery in complex systems", it presumably can't be someone already in government service...

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: ... might already have someone in mind for the job

Depends what you are delivering. Contracts to brown envelope suppliers?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the Minister for the Cabinet Office"

Whoever that might be by then. Wouldn't it be great to have a minister with sufficient nous to make intelligent decisions on their own? And don't say Matt Hancock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Matt 'The App'

You mean the Matt Hancock who failed the first test in a hospital visit recently where he couldn't manage to roll up his shirtsleeves above the elbow?

And I won't even go into detail about his data protection failures with 'The Matt App'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£180K to be shouted at constantly... no thanks.

6. illuminatus

...someone in mind

by the name of Cummings. He's interested in a job share with his current role of Grand Vizier. He'd like to keep his existing office with the scorpion pit and spikes, obviously.

7. LeahroyNake

Maybe I should apply

Doubt I would get past the first CV check as I didn't go to the right school.

I also have a history of delivering projects on time and on budget. I doubt either of those are realistic in the advertised role so meh maybe not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like