back to article 'God, Send Mobiles,' the industry prayed back in the '90s. This time, 5G actually has it covered

5G may buck the trend set by the first three generations of digital cellular technology, and actually offer punters a broad range of mobiles when the networks go live. This time it's the networks that may be buggy and late, not the handsets. For 2G, 3G and 4G, the networks were ready, but the choice of handsets was limited and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I miss my Nokia 3650. Yes I am weird but that freaky design was wonderful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My mate had a Nokia 3650. He left it the pub one night, and the next evening his girlfriend walked into the bar only to meet a chorus of 'Nice tits, love!' , the barman having found the phone and gone through the photos.

Another friend, later, had an even weirder Nokia with no keypad at all, only a scroll wheel. This was the era of Nokia when the original engineers had been drastically outnumbered by outsider managers.

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Facepalm

One OS to rule them all...

"But 5G has mobes galore."

Too bad that they're all running the same spyware OS by default. Did we learn nothing from Windows?

1. Little Mouse Silver badge

Re: One OS to rule them all...

We didn't have to learn it from Windows. Pretty much every smart device under the sun ticks that box.

We did learn from MS not to buy hardware before the requirement specs had been nailed down though. Remember those "Vista Ready" laptops?

1. RyokuMas Silver badge

Re: One OS to rule them all...

"Remember those "Vista Ready" laptops?"

Yes. My mother in law had one, which I was semi-regularly asked to maintain. I still have flashbacks...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'm not concerned by all the hubbub

I've got fiber to the house now, and 4G is more than enough for my needs when I'm not at home, so I'll be watching this craze from the sidelines. I'm in no hurry to replace my phone anyway.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Three

Maybe the problem wasn't late handsets, but an early network.

They had to allow roaming on other 2G networks so customers could get coverage. I mean, 3/3/03 wasn't a marketing-driven date at all...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Three

One of the problems with the early 3G sets was that used lots of power so it took of generations before they could be made at the sizes people were used to. That, and the networks made a real mess of the business case by trying to charge a premium for everything.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Coverage? We've heard of it.

But will 5G coverage be any better than 4G?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Coverage? We've heard of it.

As I understand it, the frequencies for 5G are better suited to providing more cell towers in a smaller area, meaning that lots of people in a small area can access more data.

There is also talk of using 5G in place of the 'final mile' (or final ten yards) to get high speed internet to people's homes instead of digging up roads and gardens, so perhaps the smaller villages that don't yet have fibre might see 5G.

I may be wring here, so if someone more qualified can make the case for 5G please inform us!

1. iron Silver badge

Except one of the reasons those villages don't have mobile reception is the residents are unwilling to allow a mast to ruin the view in their picturesque village. So who is going to persuade them to allow a dozen masts for 5G?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The new 5G-NR standard can be deployed on most frequencies currently used by 4G-LTE. It does introduce support for a host of new bands above 3 GHz, but those are all optional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR_frequency_bands

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Rhetorical question. It's the same underlying tech but needs more base stations closer together for the desired bandwidth. Given how poor the networks have got at building out capacity, due you see them doing so for 5G? No, me neither.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Coverage

Possibly. Recall that 5G uses mmWave ie in the 4-8 GHz C band so problems with low signal may be worse.

Also the Sky boxes should be fine though some cheaper Freesat may need filters or reprogramming and

Freeview is known to have issues already even with 4G LTE though this may resolve in time.

Interesting randomness: existing LNBs may be useful to some extent.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

When the Essence of Being is Virtually Vulnerable, what is to Defend with Attacks .... FUD SNAFU?

'God, Send Mobiles,' the industry prayed back in the '90s. This time, 5G actually has it covered

Networks may be late, but handsets are here ... Andrew Orlowski, Executive editor, El Reg

You have the chariot before the horse there, AO. Godlike networks have been here since forever but it is only recently that there have been handsets able to access and manipulate them.

Hence all the East vs West shenanigans about hardware servering of secrets? The Virtual Machines have opened up a ..... well, that and those into Turing Concepts and Precepts would acknowledge it as a Colossal Portal.

Obviously there be others with quite another pet name for developments to disguise the fact that they might be dabbling in similar fields of enterprising endeavour for outrageously unfair overwhelming advantage.

1. ILLQO

Re: When the Essence of Being is Virtually Vulnerable,

I almost caught you making sense there.

8. Flywheel Silver badge
    Stop

Data plans

So, apparently you'll be able to download a full-length movie in under 4 seconds! Fantastic .. and you have, er, a 10Gb/month data plan? Oh dear...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021