I don't get it?
Can anybody explain this "article"?
Every man must make a reckoning, and now I must make mine. มาลัย (which means 'Garland of Flowers' in Thai), please note the following. Dear reader / next of kin: You will have read much this week about the many ways Putin used digital networks to influence and undermine Western European democracies, including the United …
That's what they want you to believe. Actually it all went pear shaped in the 1960s.
I feel I fell down the wrong trouser leg of time during the UWC strike in 1974. It "won" due to mass intimidation and no electricity. People in the Belfast Shipyard (a Loyalist hotbed) ignored it till the word went round that the cars in the car parks would be set on fire. The second one was bad too, but collapsed because the people and the government decided to oppose it.
Some years ago I read quite an interesting book on propaganda and insurgency written by some military officer who, amongst other things, served during the Malayan Emergency. He placed quite a lot of emphasis on pre-WWII Germany, because of the simultaneous presence of competing and well organised left-wing /and/ right-wing radical/activist organisations.
Jake, define values for large. Mass spreading of delusions goes back a long way. Electronics has just sped up the speed of lies. Lets see, have a browse of Suetonius for myths about Jewish worship. Josephus has some horror stories about group beliefs held against reason and rational self interest. Later various authors record assorted mad monks thru post Roman Mediteranean areas followed by witchhunt madness and insane beliefs in experts and kings. All of these were about gaining power, mostly by creating a "problem", generating fear or worse, snobbery about secret knowledge, then offering a "fix" for the self generated problem while avoiding real problems. The 19th and 20th centuries only seem different because mechanisation has allowed damaged areas to be larger.
In short, old process but due the loss of history in the common cultural consciousness, old tricks by the power hungry can get used as if they are new.
Is anyone surprised? I read a fair share of the articles this piece links to as they were being published and I remember wondering at the time if people were really that stupid for taking all that crap in or if they were just pretending to be stupid only to fool me. Well, they were not trying to fool me, sadly. I wish they were.
Here's another head shake in disbelief reality ..... which surely extraordinarily renders Parliament unfit for Future RapidE Progress and will effectively exclude Parliamentarians from Leading Virtual Movements and Virtual Leading Movements.
ANY NAME MP
HOUSE OF COMMONS
LONDON SW1A 0AA
Thank you for your e-mail. I respond to correspondents by letter and not by email, so please ensure you have included your full mailing address.
If you are a constituent and have provided your full postal address I will write to you to answer any issues that you have raised or to let you know what representations I have made on your behalf.
As there is a strict Parliamentary convention that I do not interfere in other Members’ constituencies I am unable to take matters up for non-constituents. You can find out who your MP is by going to: www.parliament.uk.
Given the volume of correspondence I currently receive I much regret that I am no longer able to respond personally to every letter as I have a duty to prioritise my constituents. However, I still review the correspondence frequently and am grateful that you have taken the trouble to get in touch.
With every good wish,
Is this a soulmate which I see before me,
The word toward my heart? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, vital viable vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? Or art thou but
A friend and fiendish of the mind, and a novel creation, ..... Billy ShakeASpear's Bud, Hack2Death
And then there were at least two ....... which is complex power squared rather than just simple energy doubled.
Whenever there is that real extrapolation in creatively disruptive channels communicating sublimely and supremely, are just but a Few, overwhelmingly influential ..... and as a One, a Singularity with Parities.
You fail to mention the "think tanks" you set up, e.g. Tony Blair's Institute for Global Change:
• It is unfair to expect Google, Facebook et al to pay tax, we must be grateful if they just "make meaningful, global contributions in support of basic human rights and public goods".
• Tax funds public services and it is therefore the duty of the public to pay it, particularly on:
– carbon "where distributed ledger technologies could be used to provide verifiable information about a product’s lifetime greenhouse gas contribution at point of sale, which could make higher prices for carbon-intensive products more palatable";
– congestion "where ubiquitous mobile devices make it possible to imagine dynamic pricing for driving on congested roads, with a corresponding reduction in other motoring taxes"
– land values "where new computational techniques and big data make it possible to estimate the undeveloped value of plots of land"; and, of course
– sugar "where advances in medical research can help us better estimate the long-term health costs associated with excessive consumption, in order to nudge people to make healthier choices".
• Thai assistants for the many, "as a pragmatic step forward, governments should immediately give every citizen a personal account manager".
Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022