back to article SETI's mega alien hunt shovels more data onto IBM's cloud

The SETI project, which hunts for alien life and has generated hundreds of terabytes of data every day, has poured its bits over IBM’s cloud for citizen scientists to pick over. SETI – the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence – is releasing 16TB of radio telescope transmissions drawn from the Allan Telescope Array to …

1. Charlie van Becelaere
    Alien

Clearly

the first message decoded will be, "Watson — Come here — I want to see you."

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    WTF?

releasing 16TB of radio telescope transmissions drawn from the Allan Telescope Array to scrutiny on IBM’s cloud under SETI@IBMCloud.

Eh? I thought radio telescopes listened?

1. DNTP

Hey, if you're hearing it, something else has to have transmitted it, right? And I just flew in from Boston and boy, are my arms tired.

2. You aint sin me, roit

Heard by the Allan Telescope Array, sent by the Alien Transmitter Array.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Hey aliens! Milky Way galaxy fixer-upper!!

Picturesque planet, with liquid water and squarely in habitable zone of star with long remaining life. Over 200 politically, culturally and economically divided owners, making divide-and-conquer strategies quite effective. Current space warfare capability limited to chemical-based rocketry with very limited interplanetary and no interstellar capabilities. 7-8 owners with thermonuclear weapons, but mostly restricted to deployment versus other owners. Significant asymmetric cyberwarfare capability, but even more vulnerable to same. Long history of understanding and comfort with slave labor. Population available in white or dark meat, depending on your diet and taste! No deposit move-in special if you act today!!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Hey aliens! Milky Way galaxy fixer-upper or Cosmic System ReBooter !!

Significant asymmetric cyberwarfare capability, but even more vulnerable to same. .... Marketing Hack

Is that a zero facilitation problem, Marketing Hack, which renders all actors catastrophically vulnerable to SMARTR AI Attack Vectors in Live Operational Virtual Environment sectors, caused by lack of public/private/pirate fiat paper investment for market leader spendings on rendering all actors catastrophically vulnerable to SMARTR AI Attack Vectors in Live Operational Virtual Environment sectors?!.

4. Mark 85

Waste of time, effort, and money?

Given the speed of light and vast distances involved, any "alien" transmission will have been from a very, very long time ago. I do remember reading somewhere in past about someone on the SETI postulating that the time/lightspeed/distance problem of any signals would be from a lifeform sufficiently advanced to overcome this problem and thus, we'd be hearing them in almost "real time". I'm not finding now but maybe the wayback machine might help.

For me, I just look at it as an amusing speculation and it provides some people with something to do in their spare time.

1. Pliny the Whiner

Re: Waste of time, effort, and money?

There's a hypothesis out there that all intelligent species ultimately destroy themselves, because their science advances to a point where the odds favor unintentional self-annihilation, no matter how benign the species. Or shit happens everywhere, not just here. As well it should.

5. SpeakerToAliens
    Alien

"There may well be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, but somebody, somewhere had to be first"

-- Carl Sagan

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Speaking in Forked Tongues is Spinning Out of Control in Command of Madness and Mayhem

"There may well be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, but somebody, somewhere had to be first"

-- Carl Sagan

It is certainly imaginative of CS to believe anything here would even remotely qualify, SpeakerToAliens, and be able to make claim to such a first prize.

However, .... as we all surely know, ..... in a land and time of make believe, is everything possible to those able and enabled.

6. bill 27

Uhhh...SETI@IBNCloud different from SETI@home?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well personally

I think its just IBM searching for the next schmuk to potentially sell their shit to.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PostreSQL

What new bit of software is this?

is it PostgreSQL?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elvis in my toast

So listens guys, we upload a chunk of data with nothing in, no Grays no Nordiks and certainly nothing from the pan-universal peace crowd (don't get me started), just noise and ask the populace to scan it for little green men (broad smile) like "stuff that proves aliens exist!", then when all the brightest minds outside the program give up and say "there is nothing in this data!" we got a bunch of clever chaps out there singing our song, "Nothing out there, we are alone!"

What's it going to cost us? a few grand tops, I'm sure we can get some space in return for advertising revenue, so it's just down to who to host it with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like