back to article Periodic table enjoys elemental engorgement

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has announced it's satisfied that elements 113, 115, 117, and 118 really do exist and can take their places on the periodic table. Element 113 (going under the temporary name and symbol ununtrium, Uut) was discovered in 2012 by the Japanese research institute RIKEN …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Unobtainium...

See title...

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: Unobtainium...

livermorium needs onionorium.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You forgot Bacon(ium).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Unobtainium...Bacon(ium)

I am surprised that Daltonium was not used earlier. Unfortunately a commercial entity has been allowed to register daltonium.com, so the father of the atomic theory can't be recognised.

1. weegie38

Re: Unobtainium...Bacon(ium)

We can't have daltonium yet. It has to be preceded by connerium, lazenbium, and moorium in the decay chain (I believe lazenbium has a rather short half-life)

2. PNGuinn
        Thumb Up

and BACONorium!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Simon Harris
      Coat

As 118 is the prefix for UK directory enquiry services, surely

Number-Unobtainium would be more appropriate.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You dialled 118 ?

Expensivanium.

3. nilfs2

What about Expensium?

4. roytrubshaw
      Coat

<pedant>

No! I say and thrice more No!

This is the element that Dyson Spheres are probably built from (though not Ringworlds - I think that's "Scrith") and is probably what powers light-sabres, hyperdrives, makes micro-fusion possible and a host of other things that we should - in the Red Queen's words - believe in before breakfast.

And since all of these elements have pretty short half-lives there's no way any of them can actually be Unobtainium.

Anyway I'm off before the nice men and women in those bright, white lab...

</pedant>

1. Tim99 Silver badge
        Coat

@roytrubshaw

This is the element that Dyson Spheres are probably built from

So that is why his vacuum cleaners are so expensive.

Mine's the heavy one with the CRC Handbook in the pocket >>======>

1. Peter2 Silver badge

ElRegium?

Given that the Roman empire is long since dead, and Latin is a completely dead language that a mere handful of people can read, and fewer still could hold a conversation in it WHY do we persist on hanging Latin suffixes on words that maybe 0.01% of the worlds population understands?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

It's precisely because nobody speaks Latin that it's used so much for naming. The idea is to have a language that everyone can agree does not favour any one country.

Look at Switzerland: it has four spoken languages, each with its own vocal lobby: even deciding what to put on the postage stamps was a contentious question. The solution was to use Latin, as it belonged to no group at all. So, the stamps say "Helvetia", and the car-stickers read "CH" ("Confœderatio Helvetica" - "[the] Swiss Confederation"), as does the ISO Country code and thus Switzerland's top-level domain name.

Latin's other advantage is that because there are no native speakers to object, its pronunciation has, over the centuries, been knocked into a form that's simple enough that speakers of pretty much any other language can master it.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Latin's other advantage is that because there are no native speakers to object, its pronunciation has, over the centuries, been knocked into a form that's simple enough that speakers of pretty much any other language can master it."

Ah, but ancient documentaries of Rome clearly show Latin spoken with a British accent (occasionally American), not this silly southern Italian accent they're trying to get us to use...

5. Dwarf

Have an upvote.

That was EXACTLY on my mind when I hit the forum button and low,you had beaten me to it.

If you are adding that though, then the lower number to it must be the easier to generate "Rarataninum"

Ratchet and Clank - a great time waster. Perhaps I'll go and waste some more time on it ..

6. Turtle

It is SO Obvious: Re: Unobtainium...

"Doubtless readers will suggest suitably inspiring titles for 113, 115, 117, and 118, before it's too late."

These elements should be named "onethirteenium, onefifteenium, oneseventeenium, and oneeighteenium" respectively.

Got any other problems do you need solved?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: It is SO Obvious: Unobtainium...

"onethirteenium, onefifteenium, oneseventeenium, and oneeighteenium"

But they are already called those names (albeit in Latin). We're looking for ones that aren't crap.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hoowz aboot

DILITHITANIUM

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"californium with calcium ions to create element 118"

Unosteoporosisium?

4. Graham Cunningham

In honour of the late Sir Pterry, and as the final(?) element, I'll propose: 118 Octarinium.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Octarinium

Well, there were several newish discoveries wanting names, so why not throw in Magnaatuinium? I suspect it1 is equally difficult to pronounce in any language and is also as rare as a real space-faring turtle.

1 Whichever one it is.

2. Neoc

@Graham Cunningham:

Well, they do currently sound like they've been named by a certain famous inventor from Quirm.

5. Simon Harris

If nobody can agree...

Pandemonium.

1. Steve K

Re: If nobody can agree...

Good choice, but already done in the separation of Americium and Curium!!! (Pandemonium and Delirium)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americium

Steve

2. Mark 85

Why are all the "new" elements ending in -ium? Why not be simple. Let's call one "Ralph".

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Let's call one "Ralph".

And the next one "The Other Ralph".

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

The Japanese were the 2nd to find element 113 but they were the first to reproduce the making of it (3 times I think) so they get first dibs at naming it. The Russian/US teams found it first but couldn't make it again.

So, are we going to get a remake of The Fifth Element but with a 113 year old Bruce Willis?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Dallascorbinium?

1. Midnight

Mooltipassium?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

113 is obviously unlukium, but 115 is windowsmobilium as it have the same half life as a microsoft phone OS.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If any are edible what about nominominum?

1. Greggles

Anything's edible if you're brave.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Everything is edible at least once...

10. Dr. G. Freeman

113 will be something to do with RIKEN or Japan (Japonium, Rikenium)

115, was the Dubna lot, so Moscovium (we already have Dubnium)

117, Oak Ridge, so Weinburgium after it's first boss maybe ? Well, Weinburgine seeing as it's a halogen- oe either named after the lab (Oakine) or after the state (Tennessine, or Tennessium),

118, Dubna/ Lawerence Livermore team up - so that'll be something safe and non-political... but has to end in -on as its a Noble Gas. Higgson, maybe ?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"117, Oak Ridge, so Weinburgium after it's first boss maybe ? Well, Weinburgine seeing as it's a halogen"

Quercine?

1. Eddy Ito
        Coat

Easy

113 - Geranium

115 - Willium

117 - Christine

118 - Byron

11. Simon Harris

Element 115

As a super-heavy metal, Kilmisterium would be a fitting tribute.

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Element 115

Only if it changes to Lemmium after a few years without anyone knowing who came up with the new name or why...

2. frank ly

Re: Element 115

Or Lemmyum?

Edit: Sighs; beaten to it.

12. Guus Leeuw

What? New direction at The Reg?

Dear Sir,

"Doubtless readers will suggest ..." Why does the author think that his readers are doubtless? I, for one, doubt that the author actually means what he wrote.

So, El Reg, what about that stone editor, now that the site is going to undergo a dramatic change in direction?

Also, while you're at it: How about HTTPS?

Regards.

Guus

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: What? New direction at The Reg?

Commentardium?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Commentardium?

Hacktardanium

1. Jos V

Trollium

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Trollium

Not really appropriate. Trolls are unstable, but they often have a very long half-life.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arse-Kissing alert!

Vultureronium

14. SW10
    Mushroom

No. 118

Now there's a line of them, I think Element 118 should be named Deslynam.

15. Shane8
    Go

The Element Song

Can we request Tom Lehrer to make an updated song ?

For those of you too young to remember;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon